Sponsors:

Free planer

Started by Quebecnewf, April 18, 2016, 07:18:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quebecnewf

Got this today from a good friend
2 hp 15 " .

Will tune her up and try her at the mill

Going to run her with my 6500 watt Honda Generator .

Quebecnewf

elk42

Quote from: Quebecnewf on April 18, 2016, 07:18:20 PM
Got this today from a good friend
2 hp 15 " .

Will tune her up and try her at the mill

Going to run her with my 6500 watt Honda Generator .

Quebecnewf

How does a fellow member get on that  free list :D  You did gooooood.
Machinist Retired, Lt15 WM 25 HP, Stihl 044, Stihl 311, Kubota M2900w/FEL, KUBOTA L4800 w/FEL,
Lincoln Ranger 10,000, stihl 034,

Quebecnewf

limited membership. just me.

planer is about 25 years old but was used very little. needs a good tuneup and adjustment plus sharp blades and some new drve belts and should be ready to go.

wil try her out in the workshop and if all goes well move it to sawmill

Quebecnewf

thecfarm

I kinda like that 2 legged stool? on the left of the planer. Story behind that?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Quebecnewf

Saw That interesting tree growing in the woods this winter. A porcupine had stripped most of the bark . Thought it would make a neat 3 legged stool.

I call it the Hobbit Stool

I think it looks real neat.

Quebecnewf

submarinesailor

47sawdust

Newf,
You really need to clean your shop before you post any more pix.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Quebecnewf

Got the planer all tuned up. Still waiting on new belts . Runs ok with the worn ones for now. Hooked the 6500 Honda Generator to it and she ran good. Seems to be very little load on the motor even when planing a 13 in wide piece of birch. Planed a rough piece of two by four  fir . Real smooth.

Will move it to the mill in the next week or so as soon as I can get my boat launched. Will use the same method I used to bring the three sided planer to the mill a few years back

Put it on a kometick aboard the small Boston Whaler and then which it to the planer shed with my gas winch

My plan now is to set them up side by side . I will feed my single sided planer first ( when making 2x4 for instance) a rough piece of 1 5/8 by 3 3/4 piece of wood. This will make the thickness 1 9/16. I will then send it back through the three sided planer bringing the width down to 3 1/2 and the thickness down to 1 1/2 in one pass .

Vola a dressed four sides 2x4.

At least that's the plan. I will be running the single sided planer electric and the three sided planer gas , for now.
I am thinking by the time I get too old to work I will have this sawmill business dialed in a ready to rock.

What do you think?

Quebecnewf

ozarkgem

I think I want to see some pics of when that came off the end of the boat. :). Next time you are in the woods can you get a pic of your  stand of trees where you log. I am still quite fascinated by your operation. What do you do in the winter?
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Quebecnewf

I log in the winter. Check out my gallery and you will see many pics of my operation.

Quebecnewf

petefrom bearswamp

Nice score!
Looks a lot like my old Jet, but then all of the Taiwan planer are very similar.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

plowboyswr

Ozarkgem, try reading  this one.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,67493.0/all.html
Q posts a lot of pictures in so many boards and documents quite a bit of what he does that you could make a good book out of it. ;D :P
Just an ole farm boy takin one day at a time.
Steve

ozarkgem

so your timber stand is about 6 miles from your mill. The terrain sure changes quickly. Just curious does the water not freeze enough to haul the logs over in the winter or is it just to cold to get out.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Quebecnewf

Quote from: ozarkgem on April 24, 2016, 06:13:44 PM
so your timber stand is about 6 miles from your mill. The terrain sure changes quickly. Just curious does the water not freeze enough to haul the logs over in the winter or is it just to cold to get out.

Yes the water freezes thick enough. No it is not too cold to " get out " . I don,t want to seem rude " I am Canadian after all" but you really need to do a little geography and history lesson. World history and world geography there is a big world out there and a lot of it is North of the U.S.

Just saying
Quebecnewf

ozarkgem

Thank you for the slam. I have been around a lot. All over the world. I was just asking as simple question.Not too cold for you but for equipment. I would guess things break easier at -30. I am quite knowledgeable on geography. I have been north of your place in late Dec.

Quebecnewf

Ok then now we know . The " too cold to get out" question was a lame question. There was no mention of too cold for equipment  hence the response.
We do take some chances on the ice in early winter

Here we are picking or way ashore to the mainland in early winter

Quebecnewf

Thank You Sponsors!