iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New (to me) sharpener

Started by redprospector, April 19, 2016, 10:53:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redprospector

I just got back from El Paso, where I picked up my new (to me) Cat Claw sharpener at a freight terminal.  8) Well it was actually 2 Cat Claw sharpeners. One's supposed to work good, and the other is supposed to need the gear motor. We'll see, it may be a parts machine.  :o
I'll call Cook's in the morning and order a couple of wheels, and a dressing stone, and I hope an owners manual. Then when I get back from a meeting with State Forestry, I'll see if I can make one work.

Any advice on setting one up?
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Chuck White

Congratulations on the Cat Claw sharpeners.

Little bit of a learning curve, but it doesn't take long to catch on.   :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sandsawmill14

there is a lot of guys on here with those sharpeners so you can find out anything you need to know here i think :) as chuck said there is a learning curve but they are good machines once you get it figured out  smiley_thumbsup and as i said last night i finally made peace with mine and it does a good job now :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

slider

There is a video by tim cook on dressing the rock that is good if you are just starting out it will help.al
al glenn

Ox

The manual and the videos online will tell you everything you need to know.  After that, it's personal preference and you'll have the "feel" of it.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

redprospector

I messed with them a little yesterday, and they both work.  ;D
The one needs a DC speed control instead of a motor (good thing).

Anybody got pictures of the arms that hold the blade up? I think I'm going to have to make some, and don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

YellowHammer

Try to match the cam and rock profile to get a grind that traces the profile of your favorite band.  Take your time to get it right, don't adjust anything until you're back at the starting tooth, and use a magnifying glass or similar to make sure you have a clean, sharp chisel tooth with no round corners.  Expect it to take several passes per band and try to be very consistent with the drops and advances.
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

drobertson

If all else fails, I would suggest giving Cutting Edge, FF member a call,, it would be worth time, might even suggest going this route first,,and get it done,,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

Here are a couple of pics from my gallery.

There are a few more in there too.

Hope this shows what you need.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

redprospector

Thanks for the reply's, and knowledge guys. This is going to be just one more thing to learn, but I can always count on y'all to help me through the curve.

Quote from: Chuck White on April 21, 2016, 03:31:50 PM
Here are a couple of pics from my gallery.

There are a few more in there too.

Hope this shows what you need.

Thanks for the pictures Chuck! My grinders are a little older than yours I guess. They have 3 2"X2" square tubes welded to the back. Yours looks a lot simpler, I may do some remodeling.

I've got to give Cook's Saw a little praise here. Right after I posted this morning, I called Cook's and told them what I had bought, and ordered a grinding wheel, a shaping stick, and some more blades. Marcie said that she'd email me a manual for the grinders. As soon as I hung up the phone, my email dinged, telling me I had an email. It was there.  :o That is what I call Customer Service! I didn't have time to look at it before I left, but I just printed off 32 pages, and am going to my chair to kick back a while, and get familiar with my new toys uh, I meant tools.  ;D

fat olde elf

Good move to call Cooks  !!  Marcie and all of the folks at Cooks have treated me well over the past 12 years since I bought my MP-32 mill.  I bought a Cats Claw sharpener used on the Sawmill Exchange eight years ago and Cooks have been very helpful with parts, stones, and advice.

My grandson, Jacob, serves in the Army Chemical Corps and is being sent to El Paso soon. I have been to a lot of places in Texas over the years but never El Paso. Grannie and I may get out your way in the future. Good luck with your sharpening !!!!
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

redprospector

Quote from: fat olde elf on April 22, 2016, 02:37:54 AM
Good move to call Cooks  !!  Marcie and all of the folks at Cooks have treated me well over the past 12 years since I bought my MP-32 mill.  I bought a Cats Claw sharpener used on the Sawmill Exchange eight years ago and Cooks have been very helpful with parts, stones, and advice.

My grandson, Jacob, serves in the Army Chemical Corps and is being sent to El Paso soon. I have been to a lot of places in Texas over the years but never El Paso. Grannie and I may get out your way in the future. Good luck with your sharpening !!!!
Yep, I've been dealing with Cook's for a while too. They've always been good to deal with. I was just really impressed at how quickly I got the email with the manual.
If you find yourself in El Paso, give me a shout. It would be great to meet another FF member, and it's usually about 25 degrees cooler here than El Paso if you're inclined to cool off a little.  ;D

redprospector

Ok, quick question.
On the rocker arm assembly there is a spring. What does this spring connect to on the other end? The little screw in the top of the Push Finger Rod?
I've looked, and looked, and haven't seen a picture that shows this spring, here, in the manual, or on the rest of the internet.

sandsawmill14

i dont know but if you hang around just a minute i will go look :)

redprospector

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on April 22, 2016, 11:34:32 PM
i dont know but if you hang around just a minute i will go look :)
Thanks, I'll hang around.   ;)

sandsawmill14

it hooks from the rocker arm to the threaded arm that pushes the blade :) i took a pic but i got new phone last week and cant figure out how to email it so i can post it :-[ >:( and tech support (13 yo daughter :-[ ) is away on a youth trip with our church for the weekend but i will post soon as i get it figured out or pm me a # and i can text it to you if you need it  :) at least i think i can ??? :-[ :-\ :D :D :D

sandsawmill14

it hooks on the little screw :)

redprospector

Ok, thanks! That describes where it goes without question.

sandsawmill14

redprospector

The guy I bought these from forgot to send the arms, but said he had them and would send them. I'm sure they're coming (eventually), but I don't have the patience of a goat, so I southern engineered some blade holders this afternoon and got with it. I set it up, and started sharpening.
I may have more questions later, but as of this evening everything seems to have fallen in place. I started out working on some "junk" blades that may not be "junk" any more.  ;D

Ox

That's one good thing about having a sharpener.  You can bring back otherwise wrecked blades.  I have 2 that have missing teeth but I sharpened them anyway (helping the blade through by hand when sharpening because it wouldn't advance due to missing teeth) and now I have some useable blades for questionable logs.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!