iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bobcat

Started by Onthesauk, August 23, 2009, 10:50:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onthesauk

Nearly lost a cat here a few minutes ago.

Sitting here reading the FF and the wife comes running in, says there's a bobcat stalking one of the cats.  Right outside my window, our cat stalking a mouse and 15 feet away a bobcat stalking him.  I step out the door and yell at our cat and the bobcat ran up the hill into the treeline.

Appeared to be a small one, maybe this this year's kitten just out on his own?  Fired some birdshot into the hillside just for the noise, maybe encourage him to move on.  We've seen them from the house before but never this close.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Jeff

I love it when Nature comes calling. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DanG

I had one run across the road in front of the car just a couple of days ago.  That was the first one I have seen in several years.  Fortunately, Linda had left her book at home, so she got to see it too. :) :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

LeeB

Around here the bobcats carry a disease called Bob cat fever. It doesn't effect the bobcat  but is deadly to house cats with basicaly no hope for cure. Carried and spread by ticks. We have lost 6 cats to it in the last 2 years. Bobcats are not welcome here.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

This past deer season, I was sitting in a ladder stand and watched a bobcat stalk and catch a squirrel.  A true Kodak moment and I didn't have a camera.  Talk about quick.  When he/she made it's move......it was all over.  Breakfast.... ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SwampDonkey

We still have a bobcat trapping/hunting season here by lottery, drawn in October. It is zoned and not all zones allow harvesting of bobcat. All I have ever seen around here are tracks and very rarely. I have seen a few though up on the Tobique watershed in more remote areas. By a few I mean 2 or 3. Not up that way very often.

http://www.gnb.ca/0078/furharvest/Bobcat-e.asp

Can't hunt/trap lynx though in the Maritimes, but I think you can west of here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

okmulch

We have a bobcat that frequents our yard every now and then. We live just on the outskirts of Stillwater but have alot of wildlife. In July my wife was sitting at the dining room table watching some hummingbirds fight at the feeder, when her eye caught something coming out of the woods into the yard. It happened to be a mountain lion. She was to stunned enough to holler at me and it did not stay around long enough to get pics.
Our postal driver saw one about a year ago go through our yard up into the woods. the postal driver came back and told my wife about it because she knew we had small kids. Other neighbors have reported hearing and seeing the mountain lions more frequently also.
One would not think of them this close to a large town or in this area but I guess they are wandering closer and closer.
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Onthesauk

Neighbor called about 9:30 last night, said there was a cougar on the hillside between his house and mine, heard it scream one time.  With the noises he was hearing, could have been more then one.  His black lab was cowered on the doorstep, wouldn't bark and wouldn't leave the porch.  I let off a couple of rounds into the bank off the porch and believe he/they moved on.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

Ironmower

My good friend I work with has a western bobcat for a pet (Bubby) he's 8 yrs old(the cat that is). My friend is the only person in fulton co PA. who has a permit to keep one and is checked out ever year by DNR.
   First time I met bubby I'd say it was kinda of intimidating. He came out and jumped up and put his paws on my chest and licked me! My friend said, you're OK he likes ya, and no he is not declawed. Bubby has a huge fenced in area, with a plastic culvert connecting it to the basement. Whenn bubby is in, he has run of the whole house.
WM lt35 hd 950 JD

beenthere

And one day.....all heck will break loose.  And then people will stand around and wonder what got into this gentle, friendly tabby.    They are plain and simple, a wild creature. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tyb525

With the huge barn cat population we have here, I wouldn't mind for a few cats to come up missing ::)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Onthesauk

Our resident bobcat was back about 10:30 last night, triggered the light outside our bedroom.  Got up and raised the shade and he just stood there and looked at us, about 15 feet away.  Stepped out on the porch and clapped my hands a couple of times and he just stood there and looked at me.  Went in and grabbed a shotgun and fired some birdshot over his head and he just turned around and trotted up the hill.  For what is suppose to be such a shy animal, this one sure is brave or indifferent.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Yonderosa

Last October I was eating breakfast when I noticed this dude stroll by.

[img width=500 --Photos MUST be in the Forestry Forum gallery!!!!!--/images/Pathfinder/obcat.jpg[/img]

He wasn't in any hurry so it gave me some time for the wife to hand me the camera.  Managed to get a few pictures, this was the best.  The flash on the inside of the window washed out the image some.

I see them once a year or so.  This one was the biggest I've ever seen, easily the size of my Labrador.  He's been real hard on the local turkey population and after talking to the local wildlife biologist may have even been responsible for a few of the deer kills I've found on my property. 

beenthere

Yonderosa
That was a good speciment of a bobcat. Hope you post it in your gallery, and modify your post with the pic.  8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

I watched one stalk and catch a squirrel last year.  No camera, but even if I had, it all happened too quickly to have captured it.  One second he/she was crouched.....the next it had breakfast.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WildDog

We don't get wild Bob cats down under but when I was 4yrs old the family went to Taronga Zoo in Sydney and a Tom Bob cat backed up to the fence and and apparently sprayed me with urine, dad wanted to put me in the car boot for the trip home, the smell must of been bad because my parents still bring it up from time to time.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Magicman

An old tom housecat will spray, especially if a female nearby is in heat.  STINKS.

SwampDonkey

That's why I keep good doors on my buildings, to keep stray tom's out. One winter there were 4 or 5 strays around and they would try to get in my barn all the time because I had a fire in the shop end and they would get up over head and curl up next to the flu in insulation.  They would hide under the lumber stacks when I went looking. :-X >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chris Burchfield

Son tagged this bobcat after we'd both tagged a couple of eight points Black Friday.

Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Jeff

Nice size comparison shot.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Onthesauk

That picture really does give a good perspective on their size.  I never think of them as big enough to bring down a deer but I know they do.  Pictures helps explain how.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

woodtick#2

I live in the small state of Rhode Island and I am an active whitetail deer hunter.  I was shocked to see a bobcat walk by my treestand one fall day while hunting.  :o
-Nathan

Thank You Sponsors!