iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New wood stove

Started by Jerryok1971, December 20, 2017, 09:33:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerryok1971

Hello all. I am a new wood stove user and was wondering if anyone knows how long it takes for a cast iron wood stove to cure. The Manuel said it could give off a smell when first used and his is normal. I have built 3 small fires so far and it is still giving off a unpleasant odor. I'm burning dry 2 year old maple and cherry. Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Jerry

GRANITEstateMP

Jerry,

Your probably just about there.  Between burning off the stove, and the stove pipe, it takes a bit.  I'm assuming the pipe going to the chimney is new also?  How about the chimney, is it masonry or pipe?  If you've already had a few small ones maybe one more good, hot one and you'll be smell and smoke free.
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Corley5

Get it hot.  Just like seasoning a cast iron frying pan ;) 8) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jerryok1971

Thanks Grant and Corley. Grant, yes the pipe is new also. The chimney is lined with 316 Rockflex lining and wrapped in insulation. I have built 3 small fires as per the instructions of the stove progressively bigger each time but nothing really hot or big so far. It supposed to get into the teens tonight so I think that big fore will be on order. Thanks again

GRANITEstateMP

Teens tonight?  Yip, get her hot!  Worst case open a couple windows, the smoke (there is always smoke) and smell will be gone before ya know it!  This time tommorow you won't have to think about it again, till ya need to replace pipe!

Good luck,

Matt
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Woodcutter_Mo

I did a pre burn fire in my new outdoor furnace and it smelled for several hours. I let it burn pretty warm for the rest of the day and it seems to have quit smelling now.

On a side note, years ago when we put the new Ashley circulator stove in, the top panel had a little plastic handle that was supposed to be installed on the outside/top but was installed inside the top cover for shipping. We forgot to remove and re-install the handle and it melted inside and the blower fan blew strands of melted plastic clear across the house. The melted plastic stunk and even now 15+ years later when there is an exceptionally hot fire going it will still have a slight plastic smell.
Wouldn't hurt to double check everything.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Peter Drouin

We always set the stove up outside and let it rip for the day, Then bring it in.
Let it rip with the windows open, or bring it outside.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!