iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

brake band in gearmatic

Started by ehp, December 19, 2015, 03:07:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ehp

Anyone else got any ideas on how to get the big brake band out of a gearmatic winch, he torn it up real good, no way can I get it to slide out like normal , I'm guessing the brake lining is bunched up making it to thick to slide out , I'm thinking Im going top have to cut the band in pieces and get it out that way

Ed_K

Take the main bearing off the shaft then the clutch mechcanism out, the housing has two threaded holes to pull the housing off then the brake band will have room to collapse and take out.
Ed K

coxy

are you shur its a 19 or is it a 119 the 119 you have to remove the cable off the drum to get the brake drum out it is all one piece its about 200lbs  one other thing make shur the drag adjustment is out that will also hinder the brake band from coming out

Plankton

Mine Took 2 People Some crowbars and no little amount of effort. In my case the brake drum was sagging which made it pinch the bottom of the brake band you could check that by gently prying up the bottom if that's your problem.

ehp

I have put bands in gearmatic before , the big band was torn up so bad that the band lining bunched up on top of each other so no way it was going to fit out the side , I took my porting tool and with a real good carbide cutter I cut the band into pieces and got it out that way , I ended up with 4 pieces out of the band , Cleaned everything up and put here back together , took me just over 4 hours to do everything but have not tried to see if it will hold but will in the morning , I ran out of daylight , It winches in fine and free spool I set abit hard but will set it better once I start skidding trees which I hope is tomorrow morning

ehp

maybe I'm the only one that will ever run into this problem, first the new brake bands were undersized compared to the ones I took out , About .030 thinner but bands were to be from the company that made the winch, Problem is with both bands thinner it did not matter what I did the new bands would not hold anything , not a single log and I tried to heat the bands up by pulling and letting it slip but no good , problem is the adjustment part on the winch was full travelled but bands were not tight to drum and yes every part in the winch I replaced with new parts , I did abit of mods to the brake adjuster so it could travel more to the hold side and winch works great so far , had to grind abit on the top of the 2 steel bosses that the pins from the bands sit in, this gives the pins more travel to the up side which is the hold side and then shorten the rod that the plunger sits on . Not saying much just if someone else runs into this , this is what I did to fix my problem

coxy

ehp  do you have a friend that has a gmatic winch if so ask them if you can mic the winch drum I ran in this problem a few years back where someone took .015 off the drum to make it smooth again and the bands would not work but we cut the pin holes off the bands and re welded them back on cant remember how far back we put them but it worked  .030 is a lot   I have run .040 over bands cause my drum was worn badly but ended up a year later buying a new drum  can you post pics of the inside of your winch looking at the drum

ehp

if I take the cover off I will take pictures , I looked at cutting the bands but thought what I did was easier and would cause me less trouble down the road

Thank You Sponsors!