iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What size tractor do I need

Started by AndyB, June 24, 2003, 07:44:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawby

Bull,

Sounds like a fair amount of tractor time. You got me to thinking about all the tractors I have used or driven:

JD: A, B, 50, 60, 650, 70, 730, 770, 3010, 3020, 4010, 4020, 4320, 5020
Farmall: BN, M, Super M, 200, 706
Case: 970, 1070, 1370, 430, 520C Hoe
Oliver: 77, Super 88, 1600, 1750, 2255 (3208 Cat MFWD) 8)
White: 105-2
M-M: 605, Jet Star 3, ZB
Cat: ??? 4x4 hoe

We used to farm 500 acres of our own and sharecropped or customed another 500. Used to average 1000 small bales a day. Thanks to Pres. Peanut, I gave up in ' 77 and worked for a big dairy. Dad has managed to hang on to the 400 acres we have now. He rents the cropland and pasture out. He clears more than when we farmed  ???
Like you, I wouldn't mind going back to haymaking. It is a lot different now, pricewise. We'll see what it looks like when I retire.
Glad you have good luck with the Orange tractors. I hear that they are real strong, and the tractoors themselves are reasonable price. I also hear that the attachments are not as well made, but cost more than comparable Green ones. Can' say for sure, as you see, no Orange experience.
Have a great weekend... I am fighting one of those DanG Summer colds :'(

Hopin' to get my new BobKitty tomorrow 8) 8) 8)
hawby
Hawby

Missin' loggin', but luvin' the steady check...

AndyB

Want to thank all of you for your input/suggestions on tractors and safety.  Especially safety.  If you have ever moved a J79 jet engine on the front of a forklift in sea state 4, hangar deck of aircraft carrier, you appreciate safety.  No cushion left on the seat after that event  :D :D :D :D :D.

I'm still sorting all the input out and will make a decision shortly.  Of course I have to talk it over with my chief financial officer (she has had my checkbook for the last 46 years) and of course I will have to explain what I am going to do with the other two tractors that I already own.  I have a KabotaB6100 with front loader and backhoe but is small in horsepower.  I love that machine but might have to part with it as a trade-in.  That leaves a little JD318 with grooming mower,tiller and snowblade attachments to dispose of.

LeeB

I've got a ford 850 w/ FEL. Works great for me. What it can't lift, I cant saw on my TK 1200 anyway. Welld a couple of hooks on the back of the bucket and use a chain to lift with. No worry about the log rollinf over the bucket. LeeB
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ed_K

What do you all think of the Mahindra's, we have dealer's poping up everywhere, here in the northeast.
 Ed K
Ed K

Tom

We've had Jap, Indian, czek, yugoslvian, Chinese, Russian and all manner of tractors try to get a foothold around here and they all fail for lack of parts and service.

I think I would shop for a proven Jap tractor like a Kubota or an American/Jap-made like New-Holland (Ford), MF or John Deere and let someone else test the market for the new imports.

arj

Mahindra a real nice tractor, they also stand behind them even if you are over useing them
                                                      arj

Larry

Don't know a thing about Mahindra tractors other than they have some mega bucks in there advertising budget.  Their ads are on every C&W station in the Midwest 3 times an hour.  (Move over John Deere)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

biziedizie

Kabota, had 3 of them and couldn't kill any of them. Never maintained them either, no oil changes or filters or anything like that. Had a Kabota lawn tractor that had 4 wheel steering and hydrostatic drive, sold it for 500 less then I paid for it. They do hold their value and have a good name.
  Stick with diesel, better power and easy to work on.

Steve

AndyB

Decision made.  Got my New Holland TC35 4X4 W/16LA quick release loader and quick attach bucket and forks yesterday ;D ;D ;D.  Lift at max. height 1800 lbs, breakout 3186 lbs.  Also got a few things for the rear e. g. 72" grooming mower, 60" tiller.

Got a good deal on my Kabota as a trade-in and sold the JD318 to a friend.

Now if I can get the Chief Financial Officer to swing for a backhoe I'll be all set.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

hawby

Cool deal Andy,

Bet you are outside playin' late into the night, huh?

Love to see pics!

hawby
Hawby

AndyB

hawby:

You're right about that, but had to put it in the shed because of rain.  Tomorrow is suppose to be sunny so will put it through its paces.

I'm an apprentice novice when it comes to cameras and getting it into my computer to upload.  I have not purchased a digital yet because I just don't know what features to look for and the prices go all over the place.  Do you have any recommendations?  What camera do you use and what software package?  As I said: I don't know zip.

AndyB

hawby

Andy,

I have an Olympus C-700. It has a 10X optical zoom, 27x digital zoom. It has a bunch of options that I have only started to learn after almost two years. Bought it when the daughter was born.

I like the quality of pictures it takes. Almost as good as the wife's Nikon, at half the cost. I get to delete any pics I don't like, and no development costs.

Get a big hard drive though  :D Also, get a flashcard or two. Really ups the number of pics you can take. As far as software, I just use the one that came with it, or Microsoft PictureIt, or once in a while I use PrintShop Photo Express. They all have different options.

I am sure that NH Blue will look real good  ;D

enjoy and be careful

hawby
Hawby

woodmills1

to buy stuff go to       http://www.cnet.com/    to check it out
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

AndyB

hawby

Thanks for the info.  I'll check it out.  Yea, blue is my favorite color along with gold.  Can't let go of my navy background ;D.

woodmills1
I'll check it out as soon as I do a little more research.

Ron Scott

The sign on this "burial" display at the edge of large farm I frequently pass reads: "This Farm Uses John Deere Tractors."

On a nearby post, another sign reads: "Deere Parking Area, All Others Will Be Towed Away."

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!