iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Days gone by

Started by JV, June 19, 2017, 07:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JV

Dug this old dinner bell out of one of the sheds while looking for something else.  Forgotten I had it.  Repainted it and mounted it in a post.  I can remember a few as a kid still in use.  My yard is a mess and I need to get it seeded.  I moved a big Frasier fir and a bigger Norway spruce earlier this spring.  A bird feeder post yet to install and that's it.  Now if I can find the weather vane off the old barn. 

John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Chuck White

I like those old bells!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

JV

They remind me of a simpler life when you knew all your neighbors and were probably related to half of them.  The dinner bell not only called the men folk to eat but when rang continuously meant come running.  It was an emergency or a fire.  I have seen them mounted on posts, buildings, and even windmill towers.  That was for the guys hard of hearing or off some distance.   :D
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Kbeitz

I put my old bell on top of my gazebo...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Chuck White

How come you didn't put it in the top, inside and out of the weather?
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kbeitz

Quote from: Chuck White on June 21, 2017, 06:49:20 AM
How come you didn't put it in the top, inside and out of the weather?

You would never see it.
And I don't think the weather ever going to hurt it in my life time...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Roxie

Here's mine, JV.  It's been rung every 9/11 at 8:46, 9:03, 9:37, and 10:03 AM since 2002. 

Say when

newoodguy78

I really like those old bells. I've done a lot of work for an older couple and they have one in their driveway. They still use it to signal each other to come to the house. It's neat to see after 50 years of marriage and living on that property they almost don't need the bell to know when the other is needed but they still use it.
Great thread,stirs up fond memories

Magicman

I really need to hang my old Plantation Bell at the Cabin.  It rang dinner time and quitting time during a long ago time before the Civil War.  That was also long before two parcels of the property was bought by my Great-Granddad in 1899 & 1904.  Ironically, I bought it 100 years later in 2004.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

I'd love to see a picture of that bell.   :)
Say when

timberlinetree

Those are really neat! We have the tri angle thing which Marcia would ring for dinner. 9/11 bell ringing is a real remembering  tribute! Thanks for posting.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!