iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

question for you seasoned sawyers....

Started by duck_nutt, February 11, 2012, 04:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duck_nutt

the county i live in(and an adjoining county) found out we have the sawmill running and asked when we'd have some oak planks available for bridges and different projects...
question:   if they request 2x8 boards, how wide do we need to saw it when it's green to allow for shrinkage...ballpark speaking

doghunter

i always cut 8" when 8" is requested the shrinkage is their problem.

ladylake

Make sure exactly what size they want, goes for trailer floors also. A lot say 2 x8  when they want 1-1/2 thick.  I try to talk them into random width for trailer floors as I can get more lumber out of a log that way.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Jim_Rogers

An 8" oak plank may shrink as much as 3/8" when dry.
Using drier planks would be best instead of green.

On trailer decking having them shrink can be an advantage as it lets the rain water run off. And helps wash the dirt off the trailer deck.
Dirt between planks on bridges holds water. The water with then cause the bridge deck to rot.
Cover bridges require maintenance every year, which is basically to get the dirt out, so that the water will drain.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chuck White

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

I ask exactly what dimensions that they want, both thick and wide.  We also discuss drying shrinkage to be sure that there are no surprises.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

duck_nutt

thanks for your replies....since most of this will not be so critical a little shrinking won't really matter...

Thank You Sponsors!