iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cost of putting a new jug and piston in a Stihl 261c

Started by TmbrWlkr, May 19, 2021, 11:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TmbrWlkr

Have 3 261s - one of them has consistently lower compression and is getting hard to start.  What am I looking at for a cylinder and piston replacement?

sawguy21

Remove the muffler and have a peek at the piston through the exhaust port to get an idea of condition. Maybe the port is plugged with carbon. With labour you would be looking at 60% of the price of a new saw.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Greenhighlander

If you can do the work yourself it is quite cost effective.  When my 261 was in need of a new piston and cylinder the quote I got from my local shop to fix it was within $200 cad of a new saw.   

TmbrWlkr

Haven't done that level of saw work in 35+ years - there's probably YouTube videos to walk me through it though?

Any special tools?

Two Trax

Have you pulled the jug? Often you can simply do a piston and rings. If the jug simply has some transfer, that can be cleaned. Yes there are numerous vedeos out there to walk you through what is a pretty simple procedure. A ring compressor is the only special tool unless you would need to remove some transfer.
Livin the dream!

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kantuckid

My limited experience in looking for Stihl replacement jugs/pistons was: Chinese, Italian and OE sold @Stihl dealers only! (OE is from where?)  Prices go up as I listed. 

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Real1shepherd

I would look for good, used OE first, then try the other alternatives.......declining eventually into Chinesium.

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!