iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Canada Walleye/Pike trip

Started by petefrom bearswamp, July 02, 2018, 12:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Spent a great week there just got back yesterday.
7 of us caught 1042 Walleye (yes we counted them) and about 40-50 Pike.
No monsters as the largest Walleye was 23-1/2" and the pike 34-1/2 inches but constant action.

Saw 3 Eagle nests and the Eagles were around a lot and we had a resident woodchuck at our cabin but no other stuff than the usual north country Loons ravens and various ducks along with the infamous Canada mosquitoes.
One of my companions had a 14" walleye taken by a 30" pike right at the boat and netted it with the walleye still in his mouth.
The pike was not even hooked but refused to let go of the walleye.
We were pikers regarding the count as several other groups that put entries in the camp journal caught upward of 2000 walleye and several hundred Pike.
But then we all know how all fishermen are liars except you and me but I am in doubt about you.
The only drawback was the 980 mile drive
I'll add some more pics later

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Just Right

That sounds like an awesome trip!  Glad you had fun.
If you are enjoying what you are doing,  is it still work?

Magicman

Wow Pete, that sounded like an awesome trip.  smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Skip

On my bucket list is catch a BIG Musky and a Big Pike. Sounds like a good time was had by all. 

doctorb

Pete, I am insanely jealous.  Great trip!  Can you give us the name of the Lake / Lodge?  I'm sure you want to keep it to yourselves!

Attempting a rough estimate on Google Maps, looks like you went to northern Quebec or Ontario, depending whether you went east or west of James Bay, which is the southernmost extension of Hudson Bay.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on July 02, 2018, 12:19:57 PMNo monsters as the largest Walleye was 23-1/2" and the pike 34-1/2 inches but constant action.
:laugh: :D
But, but seriously, in my local lake, I'm lucky to get a rainbow or planted Chinook salmon in the 20"-22" range.  Most in the 14"-17" range. The biggest sea-run returning Chinook I caught in the river was 33".  Soooo, I'd say I'd have a lot of fun with those numbers!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

WDH

Fried walleye at The Lodge in Dryden Ontario has been the very best fish that I have eaten in my entire life. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Harold

Some good eating, nothing better than fresh caught walleye.  Like to do that some day.

gspren

For 20 some years a group of us went every year into upper Quebec and the lakes looked like your picture. Some years we tented and later got cabins but was always fun. We quit going when my dads health deteriorated and just haven't got started again, we should.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

petefrom bearswamp

Abamasagi Lake, Twin Lakes outfitters Nakima Ontario.
Chad runs a first rate operation and has several lakes he flies folks into.
If you are on facebook, look up Isaac Wrights posts he put lots of pics on.
Another drawback was the 6 hr delay getting out due to fog
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

caveman

Pete, looks like y'all had a good time and smashed the fish.  By the way you are dressed in the photo the temperature was comfortable too.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!