iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lighter Saw? Any Point?

Started by Ada Shaker, May 10, 2016, 12:26:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ada Shaker

Hi everyone.
Some may remember I was searching for a good light-weight, firewood saw a whilst back, well I ended up with a stihl ms362cmqtronic thingamagigy hot off the press, as some may remember. Rather than having a whinge about the saw, i'm having a whinge about the wood now. Some of those bigger logs are so darn heavy. Having to load them on the trailer has put my back out again. Doing a few logs aint so bad, but when one is constantly bending over, picking em up and carrying them to the trailer, I really feel it the next day once I cool down, to the point where I cant get out of bed. I Know some may suggest use a wheel burrow, but 9 times out of 10 it just aint possible. So far the best mode of transport for firewood is by foot due to the nature of the terrain, (unless someone has managed to grow wings or has some other ideas). My question is, does anyone use a back brace when collecting fire wood off the forest floor, what type and brand please?. Are there any speciality braces with pockets and the like to carry things that one would use whilst chaining?. I'll post my opinions on the new saw in a separate post for those that may be interested. Thanx...
If it hangs to the left, your likely to be a Husqvarna man.
If it hangs to the right, your likely to be a Stihl man.
Anything else is an uncomfortable compromise.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

codemunk3y

You need to stop lifting with your back and start lifting with your legs in a correct squat technique

Backs are not for lifting, lifting with your legs will leave you with muscular pain but it's unlikely to have any lasting damage.

weimedog

My loader bucker saves my back. A good little compact 4x4 tractor and a wood trailer is a back saver for me...and a 555 lighter saw! Although the old 242 is seeing more and more time....back driven logic.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Ada Shaker

Quote from: weimedog on May 10, 2016, 05:35:37 AM
My loader bucker saves my back. A good little compact 4x4 tractor and a wood trailer is a back saver for me...and a 555 lighter saw! Although the old 242 is seeing more and more time....back driven logic.

Yep, I could see myself with a front end loader running around the state forrest, lol, would be fun. The best I got at the moment is a 4x4 with a trailer hitched. I do have a 78 ford effy with a hydraulic tilt tray but still got a few things to go on it for a roadworthy. Maybe I could rig up a front end bucket for that, It'll be kind a like a plow.

Where I live are some bush tracks and very rarely can anyone drive off them. The scrub is so thick, that going off track is quite often not an option. Getting to fallen trees is best done after we,ve had high winds and heavy rains, and then every tom dick and harry is out looking for firewood. We're not allowed to cut trees down, hefty fines and loss of chainsaw and equipment, but twice a year we're allowed to burn off and gather wood that has fallen on the forrest floor, it reduces fuel in case of wildfire. Trying to pick up logs can sometimes be a bit tricky as your either on the upside of a track, or on the downside of the track, either way you more often than not have an incline to circumnavent. The best I think one can do is have a winch at the ready and drag that sorry little log as close as possible to the track, and slice her up.
                             AND
Walking with one foot on either side of a barbed wire fence can become extremely uncomfortable at times.

DelawhereJoe

You could always pick up a wench bumper for your truck, a wench, a good long rope and log tongs to pull the logs to your vehicle. My Dad who has 2 collapsed disks and 1 herniated disk in his back will use his jeep to wench logs from the woods, so he doesn't have to carry them out by hand. I believe they also make log dollies, they look like a off road hand truck with big tires.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

motohed

How about using a capstan or gas powered winch . You could build a tripod for truck loading , and use the winch to drag the would .

Hilltop366

Ideas: make smaller pieces, use log tongs so you don't have to bend over so far to pick them up. For me anything over 50 pounds is bad for my back when having to bend over and pick up repetitively, and yes I am lifting with my legs.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on May 10, 2016, 07:47:14 AM
You could always pick up a wench bumper for your truck, a wench, a good long rope and log tongs to pull the logs to your vehicle. My Dad who has 2 collapsed disks and 1 herniated disk in his back will use his jeep to wench logs from the woods, so he doesn't have to carry them out by hand. I believe they also make log dollies, they look like a off road hand truck with big tires.

Yep, the winch has definitely been on my mind for a while, so too has a small crane on the A frame of the trailer, for those heavier logs, especially when there still a bit green.
Don't know about log dollies, unless there to facilitate winching up hill, I've thought about something like this too, but the amount of gear that starts to add up is starting to run away, where does the firewood fit?.
                             AND

Ada Shaker

Quote from: motohed on May 10, 2016, 08:20:12 AM
How about using a capstan or gas powered winch . You could build a tripod for truck loading , and use the winch to drag the would .

Yeh, winches are plentifull here and will be seriously thinking about one for the f100 when I finally get her on the road. Would ideally also like a small hydraulic crane mounted on the back, but these a a little harder to find, at any price let alone a good price. Big truck ones are a dime a dozen though,.
                             AND

Ada Shaker

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 10, 2016, 08:44:00 AM
Ideas: make smaller pieces, use log tongs so you don't have to bend over so far to pick them up. For me anything over 50 pounds is bad for my back when having to bend over and pick up repetitively, and yes I am lifting with my legs.

I'd like to see a picture of those log tongs you have in mind, though I'm not to certain if some of those logs can be picked up with one hand. Green wood is heavy and some of us don't have the luxury of allowing them dry, they'll grow legs and walk off quick smart. Yeh some of those logs would have to weigh 50 pounds plus, even when cut to one foot biscuits for later spliting, I think you get the picture. I do like the idea of some sort of dog spike and handle though that can hold the log/biscuits under its own weight.
                             AND

starmac

I always carried a cable and drug the logs to an easy access point, no way am I going to cut firewood up out in the bush and carry it out, though I do see it being done.
I will carry the saw to it to limb and stump it, but the log comes to the road in one piece.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

DelawhereJoe

I think they also make a wench plate to fit into a 2" box hitch, if you have a strong enough hitch. It would be a bad deal to rip your hitch off your truck. Harbor freight has a few large capacity wenches for less then other guys but quality may be iffy.

mad murdock

a "bunching hook" or hand tongs, keeps you from bending over so much, also a good hookaroon can be a back saver as well.  There are many strategies that you can employ to save the back.  When I am loading large rounds, I use a shorter big one as an aid, placed just in front of the tailgate, with a flat side up( other flat sie on the ground), then will "lever a large one onto that, then onto the tailgate of the truck from there.  This makes it so that you never have to completely pick up the whole piece yourself.  you are just moving pieces around by "tipping" them or upending them, vs ever having to have a whole piece off the ground at once. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Savannahdan

I have a small winch mounted in a 2" receiver hitch plate. I also have one of the Harbor Freight 2" hitch mounts that has a extra 2" hitch mount on the top of it and a ball mount on the lower section.  This works great by being able to have the trailer hooked up and winch logs onto it.  My only problem at this time is when the cable gets too forward to one side of the winch spool and it gets caught inside.  Just a cheap winch and bad design.  It does have the fairlead in front of the winch.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

DelawhereJoe

Tractor supply has all the different types of log tongs chain pull, handle lift and the cable with hook type. I can't say for sure of the quality or longevity of them but they have many types.

motohed

I was thinking , more of the one that fits a chainsaw , you can see them online from bailey's .

John Mc

Do a search for the DanG-Deadheader Log Lifter (or just Deadheader Log Lifter) for a great way to load a log onto the back of a truck or trailer. This does require a winch, but it's a great way to load long logs onto a trailer. You can cut them down to length after you get them home.

As for log tongs, I didn't have much luck with the type that Hilltop linked to (though others have found them very useful). I've ended up using tongs like these:

These are 8" tongs, but I've found they easily pick up 10" diameter logs, and I can get most logs up to 12" with a little bit of care in getting them set on the long. They been a huge back-saver for me: it's so much quicker and easier when you don't have to bend down, and They are also handy to pick up one end of a longer log that you want to drag out of the woods (though not nearly as handy as a small capstan rope winch, or better yet a tractor with a logging winch - but those are a lot more expensive). They also make a larger size tongs (12"?). I have used one, but don't own one. When the logs get big enough to require that, I tend to just use my tractor to lift them.

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

DelawhereJoe

Harbor freight has a 1/2 ton pickup mount crain on sale now for $144, all manual mind you. That will pick up most any wood chunk you can get to your truck. A receiver or bumper mounted electric winch will get it to your truck and is probably they way I would go if i was in your situation.

Ada Shaker

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 10, 2016, 11:59:24 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3MB0-A2FEI

Hey, they look like little rippers, I could probably use a couple of those to keep balance, thanx for showing me this.
                             AND

Ada Shaker

Quote from: starmac on May 10, 2016, 12:49:12 PM
I always carried a cable and drug the logs to an easy access point, no way am I going to cut firewood up out in the bush and carry it out, though I do see it being done.
I will carry the saw to it to limb and stump it, but the log comes to the road in one piece.

:D  :D  :D Yes it is hard yaka, especially if your've got to walk back up hill and the undergrowth is a little thick and uneven footings and the like, snakes are always a worry as well. Dragging the log is an option where there's room for it, which is rearly the case on a narrow track.
                             AND

Ada Shaker

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on May 10, 2016, 01:01:54 PM
I think they also make a wench plate to fit into a 2" box hitch, if you have a strong enough hitch. It would be a bad deal to rip your hitch off your truck. Harbor freight has a few large capacity wenches for less then other guys but quality may be iffy.

Yes I've seen those winch hitches. There not a bad idea if you don't want to lug a winch with you all the time.
                             AND

Ada Shaker

Quote from: mad murdock on May 10, 2016, 01:19:31 PM
a "bunching hook" or hand tongs, keeps you from bending over so much, also a good hookaroon can be a back saver as well.  There are many strategies that you can employ to save the back.  When I am loading large rounds, I use a shorter big one as an aid, placed just in front of the tailgate, with a flat side up( other flat sie on the ground), then will "lever a large one onto that, then onto the tailgate of the truck from there.  This makes it so that you never have to completely pick up the whole piece yourself.  you are just moving pieces around by "tipping" them or upending them, vs ever having to have a whole piece off the ground at once.

Yep, I like the idea of the hook thing, haven't seen anything like it around, I'll have to make some. They look so simple. The stairway to heaven is a good idea also. Thanx.
                             AND

Ada Shaker

Quote from: Savannahdan on May 10, 2016, 01:35:24 PM
I have a small winch mounted in a 2" receiver hitch plate. I also have one of the Harbor Freight 2" hitch mounts that has a extra 2" hitch mount on the top of it and a ball mount on the lower section.  This works great by being able to have the trailer hooked up and winch logs onto it.  My only problem at this time is when the cable gets too forward to one side of the winch spool and it gets caught inside.  Just a cheap winch and bad design.  It does have the fairlead in front of the winch.

Sounds like another good idea having both winch and trailer hitched up. Also sounds like the rope is being wound to one side of the drum. Any chances of making the winch swivel through the use of a king pin?.
                             AND

Ada Shaker

Quote from: John Mc on May 10, 2016, 05:16:45 PM
Do a search for the DanG-Deadheader Log Lifter (or just Deadheader Log Lifter) for a great way to load a log onto the back of a truck or trailer. This does require a winch, but it's a great way to load long logs onto a trailer. You can cut them down to length after you get them home.

As for log tongs, I didn't have much luck with the type that Hilltop linked to (though others have found them very useful). I've ended up using tongs like these:

These are 8" tongs, but I've found they easily pick up 10" diameter logs, and I can get most logs up to 12" with a little bit of care in getting them set on the long. They been a huge back-saver for me: it's so much quicker and easier when you don't have to bend down, and They are also handy to pick up one end of a longer log that you want to drag out of the woods (though not nearly as handy as a small capstan rope winch, or better yet a tractor with a logging winch - but those are a lot more expensive). They also make a larger size tongs (12"?). I have used one, but don't own one. When the logs get big enough to require that, I tend to just use my tractor to lift them.

I'll definitely have to do an internet search for it. I really haven't seen any of this stuff around here, maybe there just isn't enough of a call for it.
Those tongs look very similar in design to railway wheel lifters, whereby they clamp under there own weight.  Was looking at doing something very similar using a couple of old chainsaw spikes that attached to a frame I was going to knock up. But above everything else, I like the simplicity of that rope and meat hook thing, so simple, and so simple to use, and very light weight.
                             AND

Thank You Sponsors!