iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Chainsaw 90+cc

Started by VPI, January 16, 2018, 03:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

Quote from: mad murdock on January 19, 2018, 07:44:39 AM
I was advised by the saw shop (I go my 395XP from Rich Dugan "the Chainsaw was Guy") he has a ton of vids on youtube under the Channel "saw king" or the title "shop talk". He suggested I buy the 395 or 661 vs the 3120 or 880 as power is not that much different, and since pro fallers use the 95cc saws much more than the larger ones, they are produced in larger numbers and parts support is better for either one. I took his advice and I am glad I did. I have plenty of power with the dual port muffler and the saw has been running like a dream. I have milled about 40 mbf since last spring when the saw was new, sent it back to him at the 30 mbf mark for a check up, and it is doing great. My friend Milled a very large black walnut with his slabbing saw he built (144" bar) and is running it with the 661 of his. No issues.

With parts availability that makes sense, but the power difference i'm not sure ??? the big ones should have 2-3hp more, a notorious difference.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

VPI

Picked it up Wed.

Going to get it dirty this weekend.

395XP
CS-400
MKIV 56"

HolmenTree

Nice VPI,
This is what my 2008 395XP-36 looks like after cutting 90% spruce and pine. And it's a very low hour saw.

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

ehp

make sure the saw is set abit fat on the high jet, with that long of bar saw will get leaner as it breaks in

ehp

I got one here that looks pretty nice , never had gas in it  8)

teakwood

congratulations for you new addition, that is surely a good saw but double DanG are those husqvarna saws ugly with that big filter cover  :-X :-X

Sorry for that, i have been a Stihl guy all my live.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

trees_are_good

Quote from: HolmenTree on January 18, 2018, 11:48:02 AM
Quote from: VPI on January 18, 2018, 10:07:19 AM
I'll be picking up the new 395XP tomorrow. Probably use it some this weekend to break it in.  Any advice on break in?  

Also, is this the dual port muffler I would need?

(Ebay ad removed by Admin, refer to forum rules)

Thanks again to all for the comments and advice.
Maybe hold off on the dual port muffler until you get it well broke in. You don't want to jeopardize the saws warranty when most needed.
If it turns out not to be a lemon then go ahead with the muffler.
My advice is run good fuel mix keep it clean and keep the chain sharp.
Periodically check the screws and bolts torque.
My 395's carburetor mount  bolts loosened off once when I was milling.
Luckily I caught it preventing a lean seizure.
Old post, I know, but I came across it recently. @HolmenTree would you mind sharing how one can check the carb mount bolts? I've so far disassembled the front (e.g. taken off the muffler) so I know how to do the front. But I haven't yet dared to open up the back any more than cleaning the air filter. I'm hoping checking these bolts is as easy as taking of the air filter and maybe one more step or two? I have a 395xp which I use for milling, hence the question. Thanks!!

HolmenTree

It's been about 5 years since I sold my 395xp. From what I can remember it wasn't a challenge to tighten the carb bolts. Only needed to remove the air filter to get at them with an Allen wrench. 

trees_are_good

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 08, 2023, 12:01:36 PM
It's been about 5 years since I sold my 395xp. From what I can remember it wasn't a challenge to tighten the carb bolts. Only needed to remove the air filter to get at them with an Allen wrench.

Does this look like what you're talking about? These were just under the air filter.

HolmenTree

Well looks like the top cover needs to come off too.
Is your 395 made in Sweden or Brazil? 
Mine is a Swedish product.

trees_are_good

Quote from: HolmenTree on October 08, 2023, 10:54:52 PM
Well looks like the top cover needs to come off too.
Is your 395 made in Sweden or Brazil?
Mine is a Swedish product.
OK, I'll poke around in there. Mine is Brazil, from 2021 I think.

Thank You Sponsors!