iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Forest owner needing advice

Started by MonsterMaul91, December 03, 2017, 08:43:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teakwood

Now answer us this BargeMonkey, what the heck happened to all the salacious posts re the other fine gender.  I mean some of us thought that was the best part of the week when you strung together women and forestry and/or machine work.

:D :D X2
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

MonsterMaul91

Update: Met with forester today and clarified a few points. He knows his trees, but did not communicate the terms of the contract to me clearly either verbally or in writing when I asked him about some of these same items a few weeks ago. Wording in his contract reads like I pay $35/cord for felling/skidding of firewood or pulp no matter what. After asking several questions and clarifying, the intent is that I only pay that fee if I opt to keep the firewood - I have no problem with that. If I sell firewood to logger, I get $15/cord and no skid fee. Hemlock is minimum of $15/cord paid to me or possibly more if it is lumber quality - no felling/skid fee. Also asked about what the incentive was to cut better quality logs if paying $200/MBF across the board. Again, language is contract was vague and apparently the timber buyer will be the one marking the higher quality logs, not the logger. I am going to rework the language in the contract to make sure all of these points are clearly defined before I sign it. Again, I greatly appreciate everyone's suggestions and guidance on this.

John Mc

I'd be a bit concerned to just turn the buyer loose to mark what he wants, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you said. Is your forester not marking the job?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

MonsterMaul91

Forester already tagged all the trees to come out. Said he would have the timber buyer mark them out on the header to achieve highest grade/length logs

John Mc

Quote from: MonsterMaul91 on December 05, 2017, 07:19:41 PM
Forester already tagged all the trees to come out. Said he would have the timber buyer mark them out on the header to achieve highest grade/length logs

OK, now I understand.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

nativewolf

Quote from: MonsterMaul91 on December 05, 2017, 06:00:49 PM
Update: Met with forester today and clarified a few points. He knows his trees, but did not communicate the terms of the contract to me clearly either verbally or in writing when I asked him about some of these same items a few weeks ago. Wording in his contract reads like I pay $35/cord for felling/skidding of firewood or pulp no matter what. After asking several questions and clarifying, the intent is that I only pay that fee if I opt to keep the firewood - I have no problem with that. If I sell firewood to logger, I get $15/cord and no skid fee. Hemlock is minimum of $15/cord paid to me or possibly more if it is lumber quality - no felling/skid fee. Also asked about what the incentive was to cut better quality logs if paying $200/MBF across the board. Again, language is contract was vague and apparently the timber buyer will be the one marking the higher quality logs, not the logger. I am going to rework the language in the contract to make sure all of these points are clearly defined before I sign it. Again, I greatly appreciate everyone's suggestions and guidance on this.

Ahh much better.  Good.
Liking Walnut

jwilly3879

Sent you a PM about a local log buyer.

Thank You Sponsors!