Bypass vs pulp grapple

Started by brendonv, May 20, 2015, 08:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Jhenderson

What are you going to do with it? A little info goes a long way.

snowstorm

you want the same style as on a fowarder. looks like a pulp bucket but bypasses. my valmet bucket opens to 6ft closes to 6"

sshier

Bypass works better for logs and butt grapple works better for big grabs like pulp

gjersy

Don't use your bypass clam to bang pulp sticks in, that are sticking out of your load, or you can wreck them. Ive got a couple of each, the bypass is nice since you don't have to do a balancing act with a small clam full of pulp, but i like the normal clam buckets better.
If life gives you lemons, throw 'em into a quart of vodka.

brendonv

Quote from: Jhenderson on May 20, 2015, 08:51:36 PM
What are you going to do with it? A little info goes a long way.

Load logs, lol. Residential tree removal on a grapple trailer.

www.VorioTree.com

Woodhauler

I run a 4642 rotobec, which is the narrow bypass one, wouldn't have anything but. Used to run the wider ones but switched to this style many years ago and haul 8ft, logs and 26 ft wood. But who am I to say! I'm just a whining truck driver that charges to much money! ;D
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

brendonv

It seems with the pulp grapple you ca pinch your logs without actually pulling them fully into the grapple.  Im wondering if thats an advantage. My trailer now has a bypass, works fine. I run a forwarder in winter with a pulp, and that too works fine. The log truck i hire has pulp, and when he squeezes the log it makes me jealous.

www.VorioTree.com

Dave Shepard

I hate it when people pinch logs with the grapple. I don't like grapple holes in my timbers. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

brendonv

Lol.

The rotobec 4642 looks nice. A bypassing pulp grapple.

www.VorioTree.com

Dave Shepard

I've only had experience with the bypass type. They have always worked well for what I was doing. I don't know the models. One was on a Prentice 120C and the other was on a Metavic forwarding trailer. A third one was on an aardvark of an antique excavator, but we only handle rocks with it, so I don't know what it would do if it ever saw a log again. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

North River Energy

I commonly use an antique pulp 'butt' grapple, semi-bypass Barko style bucket, and the Rotobec bypass. Using a narrower bypass with a single jaw hinge (Rotobec) makes for easier 'picking and choosing', than buckets with two, wide spaced hinge points.
Sharp ends can be an asset depending on what you're trying to do, but you can also do some damage if you're not careful.
Have not had the opportunity to use the forwarder type bucket.

NWP

I've had both. Bypass is the better option by far.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

barbender

Brendonv, I've used butt grapples on truck mounted loaders, and bypass type on forwarders (the synchronized jaw type). For your purpose, I would go with the bypass type. If you were loading pulp out of a pile I'd say butt bucket hands down.
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!