iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Shed extension - finished 2-2-2016

Started by WV Sawmiller, January 12, 2016, 06:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Wrote a while back and posted pix of my lumber storage shed. Roof was 14'X40' with 2 sections with 18' openings. Bought used roofing tin cheap and when I got done had a bunch left over.

Hard to believe but I filled it up and decided needed more storage (I know that has never happened to any of you). I studied on it and decided I had enough room to add another section so am working on it now. I sold all my excess tin except enough to cover this extension.

Cut and dragged down 3 more locust poles and squared 1-2 sides as needed and sunk them in the ground 3' or so. Front opening is 18'. Headers are 2"X12"X19' ash boards I cut a week or so back. All the work I did/am doing by myself. Its a bear to raise a green locust pole 6X6 and 18-20' long using just a 4 wheeler, snatch block and cable. Raising a couple of green/fresh cut 19' long 2X12's is another treat. Snap a line, build a 2X6 shelf to rest on, raise one end with a snatch block and ATV winch and chain in place then move to the other end. Ratchet straps, cable come along, crowbar, etc used to jack the end onto place. Nail and bolt and go secure other end. Much easier on the back because of center pole to lift from.

Currently adding sheeting at 45 degree angle to keep from ricking and add support. Still have to add some 45 degree bracing on the 2 front poles where scabbed (Right term???) on to previous build.

When this is done need to start cutting and installing 14'6" 2X6 rafter then the tin. When get a few warm, dry days need to paint the top with silver aluminum roofing paint. Based on what I have spent and still have on hand to work with I will have about $350 in my 12' X 55'8" shed (exterior dimensions) with another 18" or so on each end under cover and a extra foot on front and back. Got my money back plus on the extra tin I sold. My son made out even better and all he did was ride with me, help load and bought about 1/3 for his use then changed his mind and sold for a profit.

This was what the work looked like about 2:00 pm today.

This was what it looked like at 4:00 pm. I guess the flash made my trailer lights shine like it was on. About an inch of snow. May get a little more tonight.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

POSTON WIDEHEAD

A man can never have enough sheds.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Onthesauk

At least you're making a big shed.  I see too many people making a whole bunch of little sheds. :D
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

WV Sawmiller

I figure a tractor with forks is somewhere in my future and I wanted to be sure I could get in and out with 16'6" lumber fairly easily.

May have to add louvered type siding below the current sheeting for continued good air flow or extend it down to reduce rain and snow blowing in but that is doable too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

WV Sawmiller

Finished the sheeting except one corner and tightening 3 bolts on the back where I connected the addition to the existing shed. Then a couple of short 4X4 or 4X6 braces under the new header against the uprights. After that need to start putting up rafters as I cut them.

Needed the extension to cover some ash lumber I had out in the weather. By the time I finish this buildout I won't have any of it left. Will have used it all for sheeting/bracing and as strips across the rafters to nail the roofing to. Oh well, plenty more to cut and at least it will have a home.
Howard Green

thatchipperguy

I like the looks of that! Good work

Magicman

I like your style.   8) 

Have you figured out how/where you will scab on for the next addition.   ;D   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Magicman on January 14, 2016, 08:08:34 AM
I like your style.   8) 

Have you figured out how/where you will scab on for the next addition.   ;D   :D

Only 2' from a white oak on the low end plus the back drops off to the creek below so that's not an option. Butts up against the barn on the high end. Not sure how to build at a 45 degree angle on the low end. Thought about building in front but that presents other problems.

Now if I can only start hitting the right nails. Couple of sore fingers right now. Sub-freezing weather and hard ash lumber and I've been spaqnging nails off in every direction. With the snow on the ground even a dropped nail is lost. Sure I'll find them when it thaws.
Howard Green

r.man

Hi WV, don't worry about the nails tires are magnetic. Nice shed but I am going to find fault with one thing you said, you sold your extra roofing. You are going to need that roofing when you fill up the extension and then acquire something else. Always happens.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

WV Sawmiller

R.Man,

I thought long and hard before I sold it but the other guy had lost his shed last winter and needed to repair or replace it. Sounded like he needed it more right then than I did.

Besides, I am sure I will find someone else tearing down a barn somewhere and if the roofing is good and the price is right I will resupply.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Okay, better weather today so most of our snow melted (Note to self: Melting snow dripping down neck is cold) and I got the rest of the sheeting up (Note to self: Snow is slippery; melting snow makes mud; mud is also slippery - use caution handling heavy boards in slippery conditions).

Even put up 3 - 2"X6"X14'6" ash rafters (Note to self: Fresh cut green ash framing is much heavier than previously used partially air dried poplar). My guesstimate is I need 11 or possibly 12 more rafters to complete the roof. Have a 16' and 14' ash log in front of the mill waiting. Should get most from that with nearly enough 1X sheeting for strips to nail the roofing too. (Note to self: Remove nail apron before attempting to go pee.) Will also cut a couple of extra braces from old pole to new headers (Probably overkill but what the heck!).

Need to do a good cleanup of short boards and cutoff ends and such. Sounds like a good project for the granddaughters as they like to have hot dog cookouts and make smores down at my family picnic area. Put them on the self help program - they like that.

Still need to cut off tops of poles with a chain saw and trim a little sheeting in the process before putting up rafters.

Shows whole shed and where butts up against my hay barn. When get a roof on the extension will be able to re-stack and reorganize the lumber. Big problem now is accessing slabs and pieces currently stacked.
Howard Green

Magicman

Sounds sorta like my situation with the Cabin Addition.  I 'bout wore the lumber out moving it from one side to the other and re-stacking while I was building.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Had to go to Charlotte/Gastonia NC last weekend to pick up my wife's truck out of the body shop there. Took Molly, our 3 y/o granddaughter, to Monkey Joes while wife and daughter shopped for this year's Camp Care (cancer camp) quilt/wall hanging she always makes and donates. Molly had a good time being spoiled while her older sisters were stuck in school.

Resumed work on my shed extension today. All framing is up except 5 more 2X6 rafters. Have a 14' ash log (the one that nearly fell on me earlier this week) on the loading arms of my mill which will yield enough to finish. May get it tomorrow if this snowstorm predicted is not as bad as predicted.

I did learn one new trick to help space my rafters I'm toenailing into the header and footer beams. So simple don't know why never used it before. Most of you likely know it but I am using true 2X6 on 16" centers and had been marking the outer edge on 16" spaces then trying to nail so the edge stays there (Not using metal hangers although I may go back and add some later). Today I just cut a 14" spacer out of scrap 2X. Use it to measure from previous to new rafter. Put the new rafter in place, stand it on edge, adjust the length then toenail in from the open side. The spacer keeps the rafter in place until securely anchored on one side. Then just remove the spacer and toenail from the opposite side. I came up with the spacer idea trying to figure how to correct some of the bow in my rafters. The last log had a lot of stress but I can correct with a spacer when I nail my 1X strips on to nail the tin to.

Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Well, still piddling on it. No pictures today. I'd have finished this weekend except Josie, our 10 y/o granddaughter spent the weekend with us and it was either work on the shed or take her sledding behind my 4 wheeler and you have to keep your priorities right. We both had a good time sledding.

I pulled the roofing nails along the edge on the original build so I could slip the tin on the new part under it a couple of inches. I was trying to figure how to cut the strips to place the new strips on the old rafter when I realized the easiest way was to just add an additional rafter right beside it. (It is nice to own a sawmill and basically have access to all the "free" lumber you need.) That worked like a charm.

Got my strips installed and placed my 8' tin on the roof. (My used tin was in 8' and 7' lengths so I'm getting about 14'6" coverage with my 6" overlap in the middle). Got 4 of 11 pieces of each installed. Need to take 7 more pieces of 7' up and nail it all down. Probably a couple more hours work and it will all be dried in. When weather permits I will paint the new section with aluminum paint to seal and protect it. Then may add some drip edge and facing boards and such but not time sensitive as the roof will be on.

My son came by to pick up Josie and drop me off a few plastic pallets he accumulates from time to time. He looked it over and suggested because of the height I might want to add a "loft". Going vertical would almost let me double my storage capacity. I am sure I will add some shelves and may pursue the loft issue in the future.
Howard Green

WV Sawmiller

Got rained out most of the day yesterday. Finally finished the roof today.

Even unloaded my trailer and got some 2X6's and such stacked under it. Next thing will probably be to add some shelves and go vertical with some areas.

First good dry, warmer spell we get I need to get up on top and caulk up a few nail holes in the used tin and give the new section a good coat of aluminum paint like the original part. Should still have enough paint left in the can to finish remaining section as you can see in the picture below. The paint looks like it is doing a good job of sealing holes and extending the life of the used tin.

(Camera angle makes my hay barn look even more cock-eyed than it really is)

Final picture below. Overall my roof covers 61' X 14'6". Each of the 3 sections have openings that are over 18' wide so I could stack long stacks with a tractor and forks if needed. Will no doubt be piddling with it for years adding power (I have one outlet in the corner next to the hay barn), shelves, lights, etc.

Used roofing cost about $300, hardware, paint and everything else probably $100-$150 more. Locust poles and lumber off my place so pretty cheap coverage.
Howard Green

kensfarm

That looks really nice.. how long were those poles? 

Magicman

Congratulations on the finish and I do believe that it was a "home run".   8)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: kensfarm on February 02, 2016, 10:11:29 PM
That looks really nice.. how long were those poles? 

On the low end they were about 20' long as I remember. All the holes were dug 3' deep which is a trick in my part of the country due to the rocks and such we have. They were a bear to lift and hold in place to plumb (???) them as I did all the work alone. Use my 4 wheeler, cable and snatch blocks and a lot of grunting.

Now I need to move my fence as it runs through the very back corner of my shed. Will likely add 2 posts and 15-20 feet of wire. Probably have to put a bar or cable across the front to keep the mule and horse out of it. Good thing don't still have goats as they'd be all over the lumber and might even climb the ladder to get on the roof.
Howard Green

drobertson

Congrats on the completion! Its' gotta feel good getting this one done, you did not have the bestest weather for the build,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

r.man

Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Darrel

1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

Qweaver

Your site in Hinton, WV looks just like mine in Weston, WV.   Located right beside a river with a road on the other side.   Typical West Virginia.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Qweaver on February 04, 2016, 04:33:21 PM
Your site in Hinton, WV looks just like mine in Weston, WV.   Located right beside a river with a road on the other side.   Typical West Virginia.

Yeah, we have a creek in the front yard which makes up most of the front property line. One property line mostly follows a deep draw, the other a ridge line with a big forked draw in between. (I have a shooting house on the point of the forked draw as the deer naturally flow past it from at least 3 directions.)

I tell folks I have 42 acres but I would have 80 acres if I could lay it flat. It does rise at least 450' from the front to back on 42 acres. Sure makes cutting and dragging large trees down the hill challenging on a 4 wheeler.

We bought the adjoining 1/2-3/4 acre lot in front to keep from getting near neighbors. It is a nice flat lot with a well on the road side of my bridge. I built my boathouse there. my son rebuilt a log barn on that side I use for a toolshed. We have a picnic area there with a big flat rock made into a table with split log benches. The granddaughters love it and we have a couple of fish fries there ever year. Oh yeah. my deer skinning rack and fish cleaning station is there behind the boathouse next to the picnic area.

When not in use in the pasture I keep my mill parked on the lot next to the county road so people see it. About 15 acres is yard and pasture and the rest is wooded and my hunting property. It is 8 miles to the main public boat landing on Bluestone Lake where 3 rivers meet.
Howard Green

Thank You Sponsors!