iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Interesting Read on Trail Trees

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, January 13, 2016, 07:20:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Kbeitz

Wow... We might have one on our farm....
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Alcranb

This is one of those trees you refer to.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Den Socling

That was interesting. Let's hope they are never cut.

Magicman

Here is a twisted Cherry tree.

I call it Poston's tree.   :)

I showed Jeff this old Sycamore a couple of weeks ago.  It is hanging onto the creek bank as best it can.   :o 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ozarker

Those trees are all over the Ozarks. There was a symposium on them a couple of years ago, in Izard County. Locally, they were also called "thong trees", in reference to the method used to tie them down.

Here are a couple. These trees, though not in alignment with one another, point toward an old encampment, some six miles distant. The trees shown here are two miles apart, and one is a quarter-mile north of the other. They mark separate trails, with other trees in alignment with each. I know where many other such trees are.

RPowers

I'll have to get some pictures of the ones on our property here in the Ozarks. We have several  of those in varying age scattered. I only have found one that I would consider as a possible "Indian Tree", the rest I see as being too young. I wonder if the settlers and farmers in this area continued the practice to mark certain things?
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on February 04, 2016, 09:02:16 PM

I call it Poston's tree.   :)

:D Don't ever cut it. It'll grow BIG and twisted STRONG one day.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Ozarker

I've wondered the same thing, RPowers, and maybe they did? But, if you ever get the chance to hear an explanation of how the trees grow, the grain structure, after being bent, avail yourself of the opportunity. The trees' size belies their age, and this has been verified through core samples. They tend to be much older than anyone would ever guess. And, you know how slowly even normal trees grow in the Ozarks.

RPowers

That is true, they do grow slowly on these rocks. I have seen some very stunted trees, especially white oak, that were much older than they looked. I'll have to get some pics with a measurement of each on I have here. I should map their orientations, maybe they'll lead me to something!
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Ocklawahaboy

Now I've leaned something today.   Time for a beer and a nap.

Ozarker

If you find one, follow it, and you're likely to find others, unless that one points to a near-by spring.  :)

Magicman

This "little" ERC was over 75 years old.

Because it grew up there in the top of one of those columns. Windsor Ruins I happened to be at the right place at the right time when the ERC trees were removed.  This link also takes you to some of the Natchez Trace history.  Jeff drove part of it a couple of weeks ago.

This table was built from three of the column leaves.  They were gotten from the owner when the ruins were privately owned.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!