iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Does this make sense for leaner?

Started by Hiker9, April 19, 2019, 07:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hiker9

Have long, straight evergreen snag about 14"-16" at the base hung up on a larger healthy pine in a wooded area of the property. It is rotted, broken, and still sitting on the stump. There is a possibility of the upper part hitting a wood fence if it falls on its own and a slight chance of damaging a metal carport. Have dropped enough trees over the years to know how unpredictable and unsafe cutting it would be and have dropped leaners in the past. Prefer to pull it down. Would be much, much safer.

Available equipment includes an Echo CS620, Stihl 170, Maasdam Rope puller, snatch blocks, Samson Pro-Master 3 strand 1/2", various chains and cables, and a 5700 lb tractor.

Thinking about pulling it to the side off the stump with the rope puller. Then pulling it backwards, away from the direction of the lean and the fence. Could use the Maasdam for the main pull which would be easier since can't get the tractor close enough to do a direct pull. Like the idea of the tractor because I could pull it quicker away from hitting the fence. I have enough rope and with a couple of snatch blocks could make it work. Following are photos.

Never tried anything like this before. Would the base of the stump digging into the ground, which is reasonably soft, be a significant concern? Any other substantial concerns? Thought about trying to pull the end onto and old car hood or something to help it slide. Would greatly appreciate your wisdom on this.

Southside

I do not believe you will be able to pull that fast enough to have it miss the fence if it is hanging over it.  The idea of using the car hood is a bad one because with the tension pushing down and being rotted any attempt to lift or roll that stick onto the hood will likely make it jump or roll and who knows where to.  

Can you remove a couple sections of fence to lesson the damage and then do as you suggested by pulling it off the stump from a distance then using your tractor to get it on the ground?  Make sure you have a plenty long enough lead or a forestry cab on the tractor just in case the butt jumps when she comes down.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Hiker9

Since it appears that I should pull the log sideways off the stump I may be able to just drop it onto a hood or something. Agree about not trying to roll it, etc. because have no idea what might free it from the pine tree, perhaps even pulling it off the stump. Could also cut the back of the stump off and just do the main pull straight back but prefer to avoid any cutting since hard to evaluate where the pressure is and what is holding it, especially with all the rot.

If I do the main pull with the tractor it will be nowhere in range of the butt or the rest or the tree. If I use the rope puller will be far enough away from the butt to feel safe.

Southside

I would not cut the stump until the tree was no longer hung on it at all, pretty much guarantee that stick will shoot off of there before you can get the bar out of the way. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

dgdrls

Is the big tree close enough to use as a gin pole?

Could you Tie the dead leaner off to the big tree and
then cut the stump and use a combination of pulling and lowering?

D

Hiker9

Quote from: dgdrls on April 19, 2019, 10:32:50 PM
Is the big tree close enough to use as a gin pole?

Could you Tie the dead leaner off to the big tree and
then cut the stump and use a combination of pulling and lowering?
If I hired a professional that climbed could be tied off to tree it is hung up on probably but otherwise much to high where it intersects big tree. Don't know if it would be safe to be up near where it is hung up in the branches even for professional.

lxskllr

If climbing is out, I like the idea of removing a fence section. That's the only sure way of keeping it intact as far as I can see.

Hiker9

Quote from: lxskllr on April 20, 2019, 09:47:04 PM
If climbing is out, I like the idea of removing a fence section. That's the only sure way of keeping it intact as far as I can see.
Still letting it all settle in. Good suggestion from you and Southside.

Old Greenhorn

How hard is this thing hung up? I mean, how sturdy is the branch that it is leaning on, and how well is it locked in? If it is in tight and tough, I did one just like that 3 weeks ago, but there were no 'exposures' to worry about, and I actually felled it against the lean. That was not my plan, but it worked out that way. I started cutting at the butt, then did a standard felling notch and back cut 5" up using the notch direction to steer the new butt of the tree to the ground where I wanted it. Every new notch moved the butt of the tree closer to the supporting tree. After 6 cuts and 5 short logs, the two tress were both straight up and I just pushed the leaner back in the direction I wanted. 
 I would never dare to plan something like that, I never knew if anyone of those notches would cause enough drop to snap the supporting branch. I did it more as a game, what else can you do with rotten trees except have a little fun? In your case, removing the fence section is prudent. If you can create a high pull point behind and above the stump to hang a snatch block on, lifting as you pull back will work in your favor for sure. Even if that high point is only 12 feet up, it will help a lot to keep the tree from driving into the ground.
 Think it through, take your time, be safe, and have fun with it.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Hiker9

Old Greenhorn. Like your innovative approach but don't think it is locked in that tight that I would want to try it. Tree has been like that for a few months and been through some heavy snows and strong winds but does not look that secure. Definitely prefer not to have it start moving while I'm cutting so will probably just try dragging it with the rope pull from the base. Looked more carefully and fairly confident it would not hit fence. Still hope I can pull the bottom onto something to assist the dragging when I pull it sideways off the stump but we'll see.

Hiker9

After surviving the heavy snows and blasting winds of winter storms the tree came down on its own some time this afternoon. It landed perfectly, missing the fence, falling between trees, not even breaking green branches of the other trees. Could not have planned the outcome more perfectly.

Feels like there was a lesson here for how my mind works. Tends to over analyze and try so hard to get it all right. All that time spent trying to figure it out and it did it perfectly on its own.

Thank you for all your wise assistance. Really enjoyed picturing Old Greenhorn falling his leaner. A little disappointed that did not have the opportunity to try out my own ideas. :D

Old Greenhorn

I love it when a plan comes together.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Skeans1

With how rotten that stick was you could of sawed in part way from the bottom then found a heavier larger stem to drop on it snapping it without any other damage.

Hiker9

Quote from: Skeans1 on April 25, 2019, 06:54:09 AM
With how rotten that stick was you could of sawed in part way from the bottom then found a heavier larger stem to drop on it snapping it without any other damage.
Sounds like a very safe way of dealing with it. But if it was not rotten would the concern be it not snapping or things just getting to wild with the extra resistance?

Skeans1

I have done this with something green hung before but prefer to parallel or domino something if it is to save out wood. Crippling something that rotten is an art form in itself same with your domino tree on how deep, steep, any step in the face, and if you have a Dutchman aiding in your escape time as well as how much force the tree will put on the hung tree. One note for doing this use a humboldt face to make sure the butt is less likely to come back at you well doing something like this.

Hiker9

Quote from: Skeans1 on April 26, 2019, 07:24:39 AM
I have done this with something green hung before but prefer to parallel or domino something if it is to save out wood. Crippling something that rotten is an art form in itself same with your domino tree on how deep, steep, any step in the face, and if you have a Dutchman aiding in your escape time as well as how much force the tree will put on the hung tree. One note for doing this use a humboldt face to make sure the butt is less likely to come back at you well doing something like this.
Thanks!!!

Thank You Sponsors!