iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut Trees

Started by Deese, August 26, 2013, 01:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

That seems like the correct choice!  I was going to suggest that several times, but canceled my replies before I posted them.  You seem to be quite wise for your relatively young age!  Good lookin' young'un in your profile pic!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

dboyt

Quote from: Deese on August 29, 2013, 10:54:51 PM
... I need to get some more experience under my belt to make a logical decision. The trees aren't going anywhere as far as I know, so I will make the move when the time is right for me.  :)
Only way to get the experience is to get out there and make a few mistakes.  I put off picking up a nice walnut that had come down in an ice storm (about 18" dia, 20' to the first branch).  By the time I got around to it, the tree had been cut into firewood. smiley_crying  As long as you're standing at the end of the day, it's all good.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

JSwigga

I would do it if the trees are nice.  $700-$900 for 2000-3000bf of walnut.  You can't go wrong.  But it really depends on your market.  Around me I could sell that much walnut with no problem.
60" Lucas Dedicated Slabber, TimberKing 2200 , 5 ton Nissan forklift, John Deere FEL

cptbob06

Before going to get the logs, I would want to have a estimate of how many logs and how much weight you would be towing. I think you could easily overload a trailer and truck towing capacity. I got a deal on walnut, cherry and oak  lumber years ago. It was a five hour drive for some really cheap lumber. The trip turned into a nine hour drive back and I almost wrecked my truck because I was way overloaded. Hauling logs long distance has potential for disaster. Sawing on site might be a better way to go. What does a thousand bdf of green walnut weigh? Could you overload your trailer with green wood?

beenthere

QuoteWhat does a thousand bdf of green walnut weigh?

The FF tool box shows an estimate of 4800 lbs.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteJust load the truck down with plenty of tools, blades, chainsaws and chains, tent, cooler, and the 'ole cowboy grill to cook some deer sausage over the fire after the sun goes down  ;)  Start back at daylight, stack my lumber and head back home later that day

This is how we did it, for over 2 years, once our partner took his camper home and quit us. Only difference between you and us, we had to crawl along the bottom of the rivers looking and retrieving our logs.

We were also 180 miles from home.  ;D

I would go do them logs what needs to be done, get 'em or saw 'em. Pay close attention to what they want to be and you will sell every board, even those you DON'T want to sell.

It's the adventure that makes sawing so much fun.  8) 8) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!