iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice fishing

Started by gary, December 19, 2010, 09:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gary

Anyone start fishing the hard water yet? I am going to try and get on the ice here today. There should be at least 4 inches of ice today.

Mooseherder

Do you have an Ice fishing shack?
Sounds like a lot of fun. 

BcWoodWorks

Never been ice fishing, sounds like a long day with a cold bottom...and I'm not talking about the lake bottom either.  :D

Just out of curiosity...what kind of safety gear do you take? I don't suppose you wear neoprene scuba suits but, I don't imagine there would be much help if you went through with a bunch of cotton layers on.

Never really thought about it, which is why I ask.

Get us some pictures,  Gary!
-A
Alec - Woodworking rookie, and Private in the United States Army.

"Safety first, impressions last. Remember it." -Swampdonkey

jander3

Oh yeah!   In Minnesota, folks are setting up all over the lakes and streams.  Not quite enough ice for vehicles yet, but the fishing is good.

beenthere

Here is a webcam on a MN lake.

Almost sun setting time, so maybe tomorrow it will be more active.

http://www.arnesens.com/webcam.php
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chuck White

The only place I've ever "ice fished" was in Alaska.

Ice 4 feet thick gives a very secure feeling.

Fished for Cocanie (spelling)(land-locked) Salmon and Rainbow Trout.

Used to use the ole Int. Scout to plow up a snow berm to fish behind. Really helped to cut the wind.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

chevytaHOE5674

They are ice fishing here on the inland lakes, the big lake and its bays aren't frozen yet.  Though they are starting to have lots of "ice cubes" floating in them... Won't be long.

Corley5

I pulled the Clam out of the barn yesterday and bought a pack of propane bottles for the Buddy Heater.  I put a remote panner for the Marcum camera on my Santa wish list too  ;) ;D  The lakes are frozen here but Zach and I have agreed to wait til after the 1st of the year just to be on the safe side and so we can take the Can Am instead of walking  ;) ;D :)  Last winter was the 1st that I'd done any ice fishing in years.  Zach and I weren't real successful at it but I heard that others weren't either.  I guess it wasn't a banner season and wasn't just a lack of skill on our part  ;D :)  We always had a good time when we went out and we're looking forward to this season  8) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

gary

I went out on to Pymatuning Lake. During WW2 this lake was used to test torpedos. I was walking on 5 1/2 inches of ice above 18 feet of water . I have a shanty but I don't use it much. Here a shanty must be removed everyday when your done fishing.  I was a little over a quarter mile from shore.  I missed a few fish and managed to catch two small ones. I didn't take any pictures of the lake today but I will the next time.
My sled

A 8 inch perch

a 12 inch walleye

I could have kept the perch but I threw it back. The walleye needed to be 15 inches to be legal so it went back to grow bigger.

Burlkraft

I used to do a lot of ice fishing, but old age and the desire to stay warm has taken over  :D  :D  :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Yea, me too.  I used to put my back to the wind and huddle over a hole and think it was the greatest place to be in the world.  Now I have a finger that feels like its been hit with a hammer if it gets below 40 degrees. My idea of a perfect ice fishing trip this winter I think would be to go over to Burlkraft's, go out to the bar to eat Bluegills and talk about how much fun it used to be to go ice fishing.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

CX3

Doesnt get cold enough here but I am interested.  Post more pics and tell how it is done, what kind of fish, lures, temps, etc.  It sounds fun. The only thing we do on the ice here is slide in the ditch.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Corley5

This was last winter on Cornwall Flooding east of town.  We were using waxworms for bluegills that day.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

pigman

Greg, you are going to have to teach Zack how to tell fish stories, his hands are too close together.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Ron Scott

~Ron

gary

Here are some pictures for you warm weather friends.
Looking out from shore

The parking lot

A couple of guys fishing without a shanty. This is how I normally do it.

My shanty and ice auger. The auger is used to drill the holes to fish in.

Some pictures from inside the shanty
My fish finder.

Where your line goes.

I will put some on here once I upload them.

Dana

We have been out for the last two weeks here. On a small inland lake with 6" ice. Catching 9 or 10 bluegills the last hour or two before dark most days. Corley the gills bite best in the morning and evening. We use ultralight rods with spring bobbers and waxworms for bait.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

fishpharmer

Nice pictures Gary and Corley.

I think I like Jeff's idea of ice fishing better :)....
Quote from: Jeff on December 20, 2010, 03:11:12 PM
My idea of a perfect ice fishing trip this winter I think would be to go over to Burlkraft's, go out to the bar to eat Bluegills and talk about how much fun it used to be to go ice fishing.

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

gary

You just need to dress for the cold.
Here is how I dress to be in the shanty

This is what I used for heat

This is a tip up. It is a type of drop line. This picture shows it waiting for a bite.

This is how it would look if a fish was on it.

Magicman

That surely changes the "I wanta go fish over there" attitude.  I've enjoyed seeing something that is completely different for me.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

Haven't done it for 27 years. ::)
The last time was on a Tidal River in Addison Maine.
The Ice was cracking to beat the Band with water flow underneath.
I was scared but the people who I was with assured me it was all good.
We only caught a buzz that night.  Can't wait to do it again. :D

Dana

Here is our catch of 16 Bluegills from this morning. Not bad for a couple hours on the ice. We had two releases on the tip ups but didn't hook up on the pike.

Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

jander3

Ice house? Ice shack?  That ain't right.

A 5 gallon bucket to sit on, a chainsaw to cut a hole in the ice and a spool of line.  That is all you need.

Of course when it is 5 below and windy, I am sitting on my bucket, freezing my butt off, and wishing for ice house.

CX3

Yes I have enjoyed following along also.  What is the battery hooked up to Gary?   I assume a fish finder? Or light?  Also do you have to drill a hole before the fish finder will work or will it shoot through the ice?  Are you fishing over structure that you put there in the summer?  How do you find the fish?  I can just see myself on our little pond out back huddled up with a lantern freezing to death trying to snag a bluegill.  The people around here would wrap a guy up in a straight jacket and take you to the nut house for doing that I think ;D
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

gary

I've never used a chainsaw to cut through the ice but I have used a spud bar.
CX3  The battery runs my fish finder. I pour a little bit of water on the ice then my fish finder will shoot through the ice. I am fishing drop offs. At that spot the depth around there was 12 feet and I was over a drop off that was 15 feet deep and 4 feet wide.  I find the fish by drilling a lot of holes and moving around a lot. Sometimes if you are in one spot and the fish are 3 feet away they will not move to your bait.

Thank You Sponsors!