iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice fishing

Started by gary, December 19, 2010, 09:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

I need some help finding the crappie on the lake on this map. Are any of you good at finding the best area based on reading a chart? I have been out three times and not one bite the lake is known for holding some nice fish. My access point is from the right side of the map which is actually South.

http://www.dnr.state.mi.us/SPATIALDATALIBRARY/PDF_MAPS/INLAND_LAKE_MAPS/CHARLEVOIX/MARION_LAKE.PDF
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

gary

Sorry Dana I'm not good with maps.  Is there any structure on the bottom? I have seen crappie stay around a stump and not hit anything unless it was put within inches if them. Where I am fishing the crappie have been in 18 feet of water and hitting around four feet of the bottom.

Dana

Gary I don't know if there is structure. I will have to wait until my friend gets up to their cottage and can show me the areas. He has only fished the lake in the summer though.

Dana

Hayden caught this 30" pike yesterday. It's his bigest fish yet and as you can see he's pretty happy about it.

A bullhead he caught earlier in the week.

Norm

Way to go Hayden!

Nothing like a big northern on ice fishing tackle, he did a good job to bring it in.

blaze83

:D :D :D My dad and I went out a few days ago and did pretty well  :D 8)

I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

Burlkraft

Nice catch Blaze!

I bet you got a secret spot to catch nice ones like that!  :D :D :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

pigman

Those are not keepers, throw them back in to grow some more.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sandhills

Personally, I like the fish Hayden catches a lot more, might have something to do with flavor ???

Magicman

I think that blaze is using a secret bait to get a limit like that.   ;)  I also think that Congratulations are in order.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dana

Not to be out done by his brother, Noah caught this 25 1/2" northern today. With 48 degree temps over night the lake was slick to walk on.

bill m

I've got a freezer full of the ones Blaze and his dad caught. I like them best served with a good rum and coke.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Dana

Another good day on the lake for Noah.

Jeff

Thats a good one. looks like better than 40" ?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

fishpharmer

What kinda fish is that, I don't see whiskers? ;)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Fish, I think kinda like a chain pickerel.  I was going to ask Dana how you cook them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpharmer

Must be a pike.  Does look like our jackfish,  I confuse muskie and pike.  

Well, I mean, they confuse me. :)

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Reddog

Yup Pike, Muskie have faint vertical tiger stripes. :)

Jeff

Easy difference, Pike have light markings over dark (bean shape)   Muskellunge have dark markings over light backgrounds, quite similar in shape.

The Tiger Musky, (a hybrid between a male northern and a female Muskellunge) has the stripes.

fishpharmer

Thanks, If I ever see a real one or the other, it will be clearer. 8)

Jeff

Here is a video I found that has a walleye, a northern, then at the end a Musky. You will see the big difference in the northern and musky. Body shape is about all they have in common.  :)

http://vimeo.com/3169554

Norm

Whoa that is a big northern to take through the ice!

Reddog

MN's description of the differences.

QuoteMuskies are light colored and usually have dark bars running up and down their long bodies. That's the opposite of northern pike, which have light markings on a dark body. Muskies are silver, light green, or light brown. The foolproof way to tell a muskie from a northern is to count the pores on the underside of the jaw: A muskie has six or more. A northern has five or fewer.

A sterile hybrid of the northern pike and the muskie--the tiger muskie--is stocked in several heavily fish lakes of the region. This species has dark markings on a light background, as on muskies, but has rounded tail fins, as on northern pike.

Jeff

Check out the Michigan DNR Fish I.D. site links below. The regular Great Lakes Muskellunge would be hard pressed to say an indivisual fish has stripes or bands unless it is a Tiger.  Been in the boat with a lot of Muskies over the years as that was my dad's main hobby. Musky Hunting.

Northern Pike

Muskellunge

fishpharmer

Not sure what kind of bait was in the video, don't buy it.  Obviously doesn't catch fish. ;)

And thanks for the lesson.

Thank You Sponsors!