iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ice fishing

Started by gary, December 19, 2010, 09:23:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

It does if you are spearing through the ice. :)  You just want an attractant, not something they will actually grab, so you can try to figure out if they are big enough to spear. You can spear Northerns but you can't spear Muskies last I knew. Many lakes that have both species, do not allow you to spear at all, and many lakes that have both species, sets the minimum length to the same thing because they are similar enough that someone not in the know will mistake the two. Northerns usually have a much shorter size limit than a musky.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Reddog

Looks to me like the state with the cheap bid on that painting. ;)

Reddog

This page seems to show the differences in the muskie colors pretty well.

http://www.kneedeepclub.org/Species/muskie.html

Ron Scott

Nice fish! Your son will be hooked on ice fishing. ;)
~Ron

Dana

Quote from: Ron Scott on January 10, 2011, 06:51:58 PM
Nice fish! Your son will be hooked on ice fishing. ;)
Your right about that. He caught the fish in the morning and unfortunately the pictures on the ice didn't turn out. The one I posted is from the evening and he's still grining from ear to ear.

FishFarmer the pike didn't have any wiskers but he did have this tooth like growth on his lip.

Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

metalspinner

Dana,
Great fish your boys caught!  Do you use the bluegill for bait?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

douge

Just got on to your website. neet Michigan stuff. Backstraps, brooktrout and puddingstones!!!!!!!!
Thanks jeff

Ice fishing is good around Chelsea

Dana

Metalspinner, We haven't used the bluegill for bait yet. We've been using purchased sucker minnows. While waiting for the flags on the tip ups we jig for the bluegills using waxworms on a tear drop. Occasionally a small pearch will take the bait and will then get used on the tip ups. The pike Noah caught had a large bluegill in its stomach so we are going to try a few tip ups that way next time.

Jeff

I've about convinced myself to go ice fishing after a bit more healing time. I did go out to the barn to check on my auger. Last time it was used was not by me. I lent it out. Its not usable now. They tried to sharpen it. :-\

Dana

Quote from: Jeff on January 11, 2011, 10:38:05 PM
I've about convinced myself to go ice fishing after a bit more healing time. I did go out to the barn to check on my auger. Last time it was used was not by me. I lent it out. Its not usable now. They tried to sharpen it. :-\

So you are in agreement that the blades can't be sharpened? Last year was the first time in years that I was on the ice. I tried two different augers and couldn't cut a hole in the ice. Had to use a spud. I tried to sharpen the blades this year. They were sharp, but the cutting angle must have changed slightly, as I still couldn't drill a hole. A new set of blades at Jay's fixed that.

Jeff

Well, if they can be sharpened, I think it has to be by machine, because any of them I have seen where someone tried to use a file or a grinder on would never cut again. I'm pretty sure the person I lent it to was banging it on the ice to clean ice off from the cutters, and that probably dulled it, then he tried to sharpen it and made it worse. Problems is, I don't know for sure. If the end of the auger got "tweeked" some how, new blades won't help.  I hate to buy a new set of blades and find out it still doesnt work, then have to go out and replace the auger.

doctorb

Isn't it ice drinking, not ice fishing?

Do you use an underwater camera to tell when something is interested?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Tom

Why can't you sharpen ice augers?

Jeff

You probably can if you have a way to secure the blades and set the precise angle of the grind, but if you are just a little bit off, they will not cut no matter how sharp they are. Its not something you can do with hand tools. At least I've never seen it done successfully.

Reddog

We could do some of them on our grinding bench in the shop. By hand it was hit or miss, getting the point angles right was the key.

Autocar

I was in the local resturant and a fellow I know dose alot of ice fishing. I asked him if he fish a resevior that a Lima Ohio use for drinking water. He told me a few years ago he drilled a hole in the ice and the water level was three feet below the ice. He said I grabbed my stuff and made a bee line for shore and never fished it sence. I bet that was a thrill when the ice gave away unless they refill it once a day.
Bill

Jeff

I've seen an impoundment  do that where a lot of people fish over at Albright shores on the tobacco river, about a half mile from the dam.  We were there one day fishing for crappy, along with probably another 200 fishermen. There were a bunch of shanties there as well.  We did well, so we got up the following morning to go back and found the place looked like a major earthquake had hit.  There were 3 and 4 foot heaves of broken ice, and shanties were tipped over or slid together in a jumble. 

We never noticed anything unusual the day before other then a very strong current.  Something must have happened to the Dam

doctorb

I have an ice fishing question for you hearty souls....

Do you ever leave a float as a marker prior to ice in, say with an upright rod with a small flag on the end, to locate your favorite winter fishing spot, or do you drill a bunch of holes and use your sonar to pinpoint where you would like to be fishing?  As you can tell by the question, I have never been ice fishing, but I'd like to go.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

You can usually see signs of your old holes in the ice for quite sometime. Most ice fishermen learn to triangulate to get real close to favorite spots from year to year, and now with GPS in most phones, you can use that.

doctorb

Boy, do I feel a little dumb!

Autocar

Ive never ice fished but the locals tell me its as slow as they have ever seen it. Indian Lake normally is a hot spot for sawgeye but they tell me thats even slow this year. So seem to think it is the snow on the ice making it darker under water.
Bill

pigman

Now doctorb, if you have never sat out on a frozen lake and fished; that would make you very smart. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

doctorb

Pigman -

Normaly, I would agree with you.  The problem is that there's fishing involved, and about that, I am not normal.  Want to know the number one question I had for Jeff about the pig roast?  Any lakes nearby where I can get a line wet?

You've got to admit, there's something cool about pulling a big pike through a hole and onto the ice!

pigman

Quotethere's something cool
You got that right. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Reddog

Thank You Sponsors!