iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eclipse mania

Started by tree-farmer, August 20, 2017, 07:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tree-farmer

Our area is expecting heavy traffic / gridlock for tomorrow. My home is in 99.97 area of totality so we are staying put, even took  the day off from my job. I've learned to never under estimate the stupidity of large crowds of people, so watching from here on mountain seems the best option.
Rather be home, than stuck out on road trying to get home in the traffic mess they are calling for.
Just wondered what others are doing. Ignoring, watching it in place or traveling?
Will be watching to see if  chickens go to roost for short night. smiley_sun
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

gspren

My area is 80% and I'm not driving anywhere to see it. My recliner has a good view of the TV so that's where I'll watch from. Lots of people will travel long distances and then have their view messed up by clouds, the news will get some good views.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

samandothers

Gonna be satisfied with what we see here in Charlotte. 

Roxie

I'm really surprised at the number of people that I know, who have planned their vacations around ending up in Western North Carolina.  It's gonna be crowded down there.   :D
Say when

Chuck White

Imagine this;  One of the most densely populated areas in the United States will be directly under the Total Eclipse, from coast to coast!   ;)

That population could (in theory anyway) hold hands from the Pacific to the Atlantic!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Corley5

75% coverage around here but it sounds like it might rain ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Don P

I guess I'll throw a few welding helmets in the truck, we'll be in the 90+% zone.
It must have been a partial in the early 70's, but a pretty good one. Grandad had made a couple of pinhole scopes that we could view it through. I remember the chickens did roost, birds made their night sounds, there was a good breeze that kicked up. Pretty neat.

Chris Burchfield

Someone purchased bogus eclipse glasses for gdaughter's whole school.  They were from an overseas scam.  Her school notified parents Thursday evening via email school would be closed Monday.  Friday dropped gdaughter at school drove eight miles to American Paper Optics in Bartlett TN.  Stood in a revolving line of about 70 people.  Bought 25 pair @ $3.ea, drove straight back to school dropped 21 pair for teacher, aid and each 5th grade student in gdaughter's class.  Sent text to teacher and principle of the certified pairs I'd dropped off so solar glasses could go home with each student that day.  I figure something this significant in these little peoples live should end in a good way. From an educational view, I may be helping to create one or more scientist. I won't go into detail of how much I hate and despise a thief, cheat the same. 
Local Type:  Partial Solar Eclipse, in Memphis
Begins:  Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 11:52 am
Maximum:  Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 1:22 pm 0.94 Magnitude
Ends:  Mon, Aug 21, 2017 at 2:50 pm
Duration:  2 hours, 58 minutes
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Magicman

I think that my helmet has a shade 10 glass, and google searches seem to be recommending a 12 - 14. 

If it is not raining I think a hole punched in the end of a shoe box will work just fine.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

rjwoelk

We are to get a partial eclipse were I live.  The total  one will be a long time way away. 27 years from now I will be 88, and it will be only 4 hrs away for the centre.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Dan_Shade

I'm one of the crazies this time, we're headed to South Carolina for the show.

Hoping for nice weather.

I saw a clip for using a cereal box for a pinhole viewer, I tried it yesterday, worked great.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

21incher

They are saying the power grid will take a hit due to the loss of output from solar farms during peak air-conditioning hours. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Kbeitz

I think it was back in the 60's maybe 70's I was just a kid riding my bike. I was in town.
It started getting darker and darker... I pedaled my bike harder and harder. The street
lights came on. I looked at my watched and said to myself I guess it's broken. I got home
and I was by my self. I watched some TV and looked out and the sun was shining. I sure
was puzzled. I never knew.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

WV Sawmiller

My daughter in Charlotte NC will get a great view of it. My BIL and his daughter are at Yellowstone and also getting a great view if not crowded out of the park by other tourists. My local grandkids go to school in next county. The 6th grader class has glasses and are going out to watch about 1430. The 4th grader class is watching it on TV. Not sure what the kindergartner is doing or if she will even notice.

Our home county is scared some kid will look at get an eye injury so they are closing school early and sending all the kids home to avoid any responsibility and potential law suits (I know - its a sad state of affairs).

On a side note, I got to meet Little Jimmy Dickins niece at the flea market this morning. She was there with Jimmy's sister who I saw but did not meet.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Sixacresand

A guy at Church said he was driving up to North Georgia tomorrow for it .  We plan to plan to experience the event from our front porch maybe during a ice tea break.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

On this side of the USA,not a great viewing. I will be working.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Mooseherder

I've heard from some news reporting where 100 million people are within 200 miles of seeing it if they want to experience the event.

btulloh

It's supposed to be 89% here.  It'll be interesting. 

By the way,  I read that 14 shade is the minimum for welding helmets/goggles.  It was stated as a fact.  Just what I read.  Facts can be fuzzy these days.  It's not something to take chances with though.  The old pinhole trick is always available. 

I've got a 10 shade welding helmet, 5 shade goggles for the torch.  The torch google have single piece removable lens, and I think that adding that to the helmet with the ten shade will work.  ????  The auto-darkening helmet I have goes to 13.  I don't know that it would trigger for eclipse viewing anyway.  Perhaps use test mode, but it only goes to 13 anyway.

In any event, it's going to be interesting. 

Everyone enjoy the eclipse and keep your eyeballs intact.

HM126

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I will watch it through my I-Phone.

Just be sure you wear eye protection.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Peter Drouin

I'll be making lumber, I'll see it on the news for a week. :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

grouch

NASA seems like a good way to watch.

nasa eclipse search

Probably catch it via NASA's C-band or Ku FTA satellite feeds, too. (Sorry, forgot which sat, etc., they're on. Will check my receiver).

[Edit to add]:

Ok, in an eclipse satellite feeds discussion, "Mike" posted:
91w 12074 v 7000
NASA Kentucky

Several other feeds posted, too.
Find something to do that interests you.

Corley5

I've heard that cameras and phones can be damaged too :-\ :-\
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Brucer

Definitely has to be shade 14 welding lenses. There are no pain sensors in your retina. If you use a lower shade lens you could seriously damage your eyes and not know it until a couple of days later. Shade 12 will give you a false sense of security.

The number of viewers (mentioned in an article a couple of months back) was 200 million people within a day's drive of totality.

We're going to be at 88% tomorrow at the peak. It will still be pretty light out, but still interesting. The one thing you can only see in a total eclipse is the sunlight passing through the mountain valleys on the moon just before totality.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

grouch

Attached map is from NASA's 2017 eclipse downloadables page.

Looks like I'm in the area for about 99%.

Find something to do that interests you.

red

An eclipse , today ?  I didn't hear about it . . .
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!