iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eclipse mania

Started by tree-farmer, August 20, 2017, 07:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanG

Well I think the government should schedule these solar eclipse events at night to avoid all of these hazards. It wouldn't impact everyone's work and school days either. :new_year:
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WV Sawmiller

:D :D

Reminds me of the old joke about the ____ astronauts who were going on a mission to the sun. Someone asked if it wouldn't be too hot and they said that was why they were going at night.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Raider Bill

My place in tenn is ground zero. Of course I'm in Florida. ::)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Woodcutter_Mo

I'm a ways South of the Totality line so I doubt it will get crowded here. I think we'll be at about .97 according to the map.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Brucer

Quote from: DanG on August 21, 2017, 08:16:09 AM
Well I think the government should schedule these solar eclipse events at night to avoid all of these hazards.

Exactly. The Russians scheduled this one for night time, the Chinese schedule it for night time, all of Europe and all of Africa did as well. How come the US and Canada can't do the same?

:D :D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Savannahdan

One of my daughters has 10 pair of the NSA approved viewing glasses and I made 2 pinhole cereal box viewers this morning and tested them with the sun.  Ain't so good when you have to look at that tiny view with reading glasses but it works.  We'll head over to our church around 2:14p and get a viewing spot.  The rain forecast isn't great but you never know.  We have around a 98% total eclipse factor for Savannah.
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

rjwoelk

Ok so all you folks need to get your critters eyes protected.

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

BradMarks

Just about to begin first phase. 99.36 totality is what they say. About one hour away. 1979 my last one - had to take a break planting trees - too dark to see if the roots were straight!

btulloh

Those mule glasses are nice.  8)  Maybe we better find out why you have them around.  :D

Binoculars will project a really good eclipse image.  Big end toward sun.  Cover one lens, make a shroud to go around the open lens to cast bigger shadow.  Works better with a mount, but ok hand-held or without a shroud.  Better than looking at pin-hole projection with reading glasses.

I rigged up a spotting scope set at 20x since it fits the tripod.  A little too sensitive to angles, but ok.
HM126

grouch

NASA tv coverage has begun.

Galaxy 13, 127.0W 3920MHz V 28065Ks
SID:101 has talking plus switches among live images (Carbondale, IL, Salem, OR and Madras, OR)
SID:103 is live image
Find something to do that interests you.

Banjo picker

Just checked.  Its started.  Banjoists
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

sawguy21

I guess we are too far north, I really can't see any change in the amount of light except for smoke. This phenomenon must have had the superstitious ancients scared silly, the few that had an idea of what was going on would have made some serious coin. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Banjo picker

There doesnt seem to be any difference in the sunlight here yet and its now half covered.  I am in Boaz Ky.  It should be dark here in around a half hour.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

grouch

Appears to be about 1/3 covered, here, and the light just looks wrong. North of Bowling Green, KY.

bigred1951

Morehead ky the light outside looks funny but still daylight

Banjo picker

Sun is coming back now.  We were fortunate that clouds didn't cause problems.   That was pretty neat.  Got dark for a minute or so...could see some planets.  Banjo

grouch

Never got dark here, but was noticeably dimmer. I went out to my barn to work on the tractor and couldn't see to do anything (no lights in the barn). I could see fine a couple of hours ago. Walked back and the sun didn't burn. Shadows of leaves were crescent shape.

[Edit to add photos]

yukon cornelius

We survived the eclipse  ;D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

btulloh

Interesting.  86% here.  Dim but certainly not dark.  Birds knocked off.  Only the Peterbilts could be heard in the distance.  Not bad.  Hope all you 100%ers survived. 

HM126

grouch

Savannahdan

We're getting rain and have lots of cloud coverage.  Oldest daughter went to Charleston, SC and got some nice pictures she took.  Disappointed in that I wanted to try the pinhole viewers and taking pictures using a cd disk.  I was also going to take a picture through a viewing glass lense.  Although I have to admit to picking up 2 dozen of Krispy Kreme eclipse special donuts.  Shared those with some of the folks at the viewing site and they were very pleased.  Watched folks on top of the hospital near us rush to leave it due to rain getting heavier.  Saw a picture of one of my brothers laying on the ground with his viewing glasses on.  He is in Southeast Missouri.  He had back surgery a few years ago and can't raise his head like we can.  So he opted to lay down. 
Husqvarna 3120XP, Makita DCS7901 Chainsaw, 30" & 56" Granberg Chain Saw Mill, Logosol M8 Farmers Mill

Kbeitz

My best shot.... It's not to good. Most of my shots was a big blur. The camera
could not focus on the sun.

I liked this shot.

Most of them looked like this...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

rjwoelk

Quote from: btulloh on August 21, 2017, 12:42:30 PM
Those mule glasses are nice.  8)  Maybe we better find out why you have them around.

Itsa new version of blinders for training skiddish logging mules. :D
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

tree-farmer

Well we got to see it, kind of iffy for a while with passing clouds.  Was not dark long enough for chickens to roost. I'm gonna see if there is a maket for "eclipse eggs" :D
The katydid's started chirping while it was at the darkest. Was a fun thing to share with wife, at our age you take your thrills where you can find them. smiley_love
Still scratching my head and chuckling over the mule blinders ???
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

Don P

we went up to the Big House where I'm working and they had laid out a spread. We feasted and watched it get twighlighty and looked up with a pair of glasses, a set of doubled up welding lenses and a pinhole box. It cooled off considerably which was nice, the cows came out from the shade and started grazing the pasture like it was evening, the peepers and insects made evening noise. Pretty neat, we should have one every hot summer afternoon.

Thank You Sponsors!