iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another what is it?

Started by ZAB, May 07, 2019, 09:42:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZAB

Probably easy for a few of the old timers on here. Had 4 guys look at this tree before it grew any leaves each with a different opinion. It was about 40' before the first branch and nearly 40" on the stump. The mill said send it in. This is in NW Pennsylvania. I was thinking Big Tooth Aspen or Basswood, but honestly just don't know. The leaves on the right are Quake.

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

ZAB

Here is a pic before the leaves grew. Had a few scratching their head because the bark looks different compared to the less mature trees. By far the oldest and biggest Basswood I have cut. Also, apologies for posting this in the wrong section.

WDH

The really heavy petioles, the heavy twig/branch tip, and the flat leaf bases indicate cottonwood to me.  Does the twig/branch look a bit square or have little raised lines running longitudinally along the twig?  If you cleanly slice the twig on an angle into two pieces with a sharp knife is the pith star shaped?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ZAB

I'll need to get back and check a twig/leaf. The fellow who picked it up said he thought it was a Big Tooth Aspen.

WDH

Leaves are wrong for big tooth aspen.  Leaf base is too flat. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Hewer of Wood

Looks like cottonwood to me also
1997 Timber Harvester 1967 Pettibone Super 8 and too much sawdust. Joshua 9:21

caveman

My money would be on cottonwood too.  The petioles should be flat.
Caveman

WDH

They look flattened to me. 

ZAB

Cottonwood it is. Ended up comparing it to some others at the mill. Didn't pay a whole lot but helped fill the truck.
Thanks for the feedback.

bitternut

Poison ivy growing on a cottonwood post. :D

ZAB

Quote from: bitternut on May 12, 2019, 11:48:55 PM
Poison ivy growing on a cottonwood post. :D
bitternuts - no joke! Been in the woods my whole life and was thinking I was immune to the itchy ivy - boy was I wrong! 

Ron Scott

~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!