iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what kind of trees?

Started by WoodBurninLou, April 25, 2019, 11:05:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodBurninLou

Here is a close-up of the leaves.  Very windy right now, and about 16' high, so best I can get for now.  No flowers yet.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WoodBurninLou

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 17, 2019, 05:50:57 PM
Serviceberry leaves.
Great, so do the flowers follow soon?  Thanks.

SwampDonkey

Timing is about the same. If none now, or about to open, won't see any this year. Was the tree getting good light? By the looks of the twigs shown it's shaded a bit.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Chuck White

I think I know what it is!

1. The first one to blossom in the spring!
2. It gets berries on it that resemble Blueberries!
3. Doesn't get very large, usually no more than 6-8 inches diameter!
4. The wood is very dense, and heavier than any other in the area!
5. Doesn't lose much weight as it dries!
6. Looks like Shad to me, some call it Shadberry!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

...........which is a serviceberry. (Amelanchier) ;)

Don P

QuoteLooks like Shad to me, some call it Shadberry!
I've also heard it called shadblow and sarvis.
Never have seen it clump or an 18" one before.

Chuck White

Nope, the largest I've ever seen was maybe 7-8 inches!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

BaldBob

The "soft" in soft fruit trees refers to the fruit not the wood. Soft fruit (apple, pear,berries, etc.) as opposed to nuts (walnut, beech, pecan,etc).

WoodBurninLou

Thanks all.  I assume the heavy winds up here might have blown away the blossoms?  This pic comes from the field edge, and nothing in the way of it getting sun.  I do find it strange that at my age, I have never seen the fruit on any of these trees.  Could be I just never looked up (but none fall to the ground?).

SwampDonkey

Your not alone in not seeing the fruit. I doubt by grandfather or my uncle ever gave much notice to them and they were in the woods a lot. In fact I'm sure my uncle just called them cherries if he did see a blossom. ;)

SwampDonkey

Most of the time a shrub like striped maple is seen in the woods about 2-4" in diameter.

In old hemlock stands I've seen them grow 10" easily. I tried cutting one that was rather large with a brush saw and had to break it off after I  had the blade around it 360 degrees. :D If it were a tree maple you couldn't break it off the stump that easy. Striped maple is brittle wood in comparison. I wanted to bring it home, but I was thinning on someone else's land for him so it wasn't mine to bring home and I never asked to. So she's still laying on the ground making soil. ;)

Chuck White

Quote from: WoodBurninLou on May 20, 2019, 07:11:55 AM
Thanks all.  I assume the heavy winds up here might have blown away the blossoms?  This pic comes from the field edge, and nothing in the way of it getting sun.  I do find it strange that at my age, I have never seen the fruit on any of these trees.  Could be I just never looked up (but none fall to the ground?).
It doesn't take very long for several varieties of birds to notice the fruit.  It won't be visible very long before they have the tree plucked clean!

Thank You Sponsors!