iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Trees from Cindy's woods - some kind of Oak

Started by GW, July 26, 2007, 11:29:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GW

This is a tree that got blown over a few weeks ago. It didn't break, it got uprooted. It's at least 70 feet long and at breast height would be about 12 inches dia., and it's very straight. I can't be sure exactly how long it's been down, but some of the leaves still have a hint of green left in them. This one is not in the pond site. It's on some high ground where there are a fair amount of what I've been calling White Oaks.

Here's what I've been calling White Oak:

We have a few trees down that I believe were healthy from what was probably 50 mph winds.

Lanier_Lurker

That leaf in the second picture is from a Southern Red Oak.  Are you sure it came from the downed tree shown in the first two pictures?

Lanier_Lurker

Quote from: GW on July 26, 2007, 11:29:00 PM
This is a tree that got blown over a few weeks ago. It didn't break, it got uprooted. It's at least 70 feet long and at breast height would be about 12 inches dia., and it's very straight. I can't be sure exactly how long it's been down, but some of the leaves still have a hint of green left in them. This one is not in the pond site. It's on some high ground where there are a fair amount of what I've been calling White Oaks.

If it is as nice a straight as you say, perhaps WDH can mill it into some lumber for you!   ::)

SwampDonkey

LL, the leaf might be curled a bit, don't know.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

GW

Yes, these are the leaves from the downed tree. In this shot I'm holding a branch that's still on the tree.

Am I right about the other leaves being White Oak?

DanG

I'm gonna say the down tree is a Southern Red Oak, but there's a chance it could be Black Oak.  The curled up leaves make it hard to tell for sure from those pics.  Bore a little hole in the bark and see what color the cambium is.  If it is yellow, it is Black, and if it is white, it is Red. ::) :D

Now a newcomer around here might think ol' DanG is an old hand at this game, but it ain't so.  A few months ago, I wouldn't have even attempted to guess at this one.  But, if you look back a couple of pages on this board, you'll find a group of excellent tutorial threads that WDH did on southern oaks.  I was really weak on oak identification until I read them.  Study them a little bit, and you'll have even more fun exploring those woods. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

GW

Hey DanG. This Oak is in the woods that are just up from the cabin, past the old cornfield where the Loblollys are. I think I've seen some more Cherry trees up there too.  There's one big tree that's just over the property line by inches that I think might be a Cherry. It's something like 16" dbh and straight. The first branch is so high I couldn't get a decent photo. There's also some Hollies that are maybe 8 inches dbh and 25 ft high.

I'm wondering if the old cornfield might be a good place for a meadow.

Lanier_Lurker

The enlongated narrow section and deep sinuses between the second and third pair of lobes are typical of Southern Red Oak sun leaves in the SW GA area.  I have seen that exact leaf shape down in the Leesburg area.  I'd be very surprised if it turned out to be a Black Oak, but it is possible given the variations that can be seen in their leaves.

As for the green leaves in the fourth picture, they look like White Oak to me.

Lanier_Lurker

Here is WDH's Southern Red Oak thread.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=25268.0

In the third picture, the third leaf on the top row shows very similar characteristics to your leaf.

GW

Thanks LL, I'm going to look in the vicinity of that tree for similar ones that are healthy.

Lanier_Lurker

If you don't try to get some lumber out of that tree it should make some fine firewood.

Dodgy Loner

LL is right, the elongated terminal lobe and the rounded base clearly identify that tree as a southern red oak.  The tree you've been calling white also definitely appears to be a white oak, too.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Quote from: DanG on July 27, 2007, 09:07:32 AM
Now a newcomer around here might think ol' DanG is an old hand at this game, but it ain't so.  A few months ago, I wouldn't have even attempted to guess at this one.  But, if you look back a couple of pages on this board, you'll find a group of excellent tutorial threads that WDH did on southern oaks.  I was really weak on oak identification until I read them.  Study them a little bit, and you'll have even more fun exploring those woods. ;)

DanG, DanG!  Good Job  8).  A budding ( ::)) dendrologist ;D ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

I thought the first pic was red oak just by the bark, but then my dandrufoligy aint budded out yet so I figured I'd just leaf this topic alone. All this id stuff is head and shoulders above me :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

OneWithWood

Given that GW is walking on the bole in that first pick and info learned in a previous thread about horizontal trees it is possible that could be a scarlet oak  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

GW

OneWithWood

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=25097.0

Sorry, gee dub, the post was before your time. I was attempting to make a funny but someone fixed the pic in the post I had referred to.  In the original non fixed post one of the pictures was laid on its side.

I really should not drink two cups of java
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!