iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Stihl 028 WB rebuild.

Started by RetCavSc, April 19, 2019, 03:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RetCavSc

So I purchased my first Stihl product to help me on my grand adventure of land ownership. It's a Stihl 028 WB. It has to be old because on the side plate it says made in West Germany, I will post a pic. Also, where the serial number is above the chain is :_8678912, I will post a pic of that also.

I found a local Stihl dealer and had to order some parts as I couldn't find anything on here like a suggested parts website. I needed an oil pump with gears.

Plus on the fun note the previous owner removed all the stuff that made the chain brake operational, so luckily the dealer was more than happy to also order those parts for me as well.

RetCavSc

Ok, so I was able to upload the images to the personal gallery but I cannot link it to this thread so that they will display here. When it gives me the option to display in the thread it just keeps loading. I guess it might be due to that I am a newbie and the system does not allow new folks to post pics so spamming and whatnot.

So please go to the gallery on my profile to check it out.

RetCavSc

ok, so with the help from beenthere I was able to link the pics. Maybe these can shed some light on the subject.

RetCavSc

May somebody point me in the right direction of a decent website or two that has Stihl parts? The ones I keep coming up on Google either just have bars and chains or it's just Chinese stuff. 

btulloh

As far as I know, Stihl parts can only be obtained through dealers and there are no online sources.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/  is a reputable source for small engine parts (despite the misleading name  ;)) and they carry some stihl aftermarket parts that may be ok, but you'll probably have to go to your Stihl dealer for what you need if you want OEM.
HM126

RetCavSc

Quote from: btulloh on April 21, 2019, 05:53:51 PM
As far as I know, Stihl parts can only be obtained through dealers and there are no online sources.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/  is a reputable source for small engine parts (despite the misleading name  ;)) and they carry some stihl aftermarket parts that may be ok, but you'll probably have to go to your Stihl dealer for what you need if you want OEM.
Ok thank you very much. I was hoping I might find something a bit less expensive as dealer parts. 
By any chance do you know of Simple Green purple would be a good cleaner for the casing? 

realzed

Best cleaners I have found to work on my chainsaws : GOOD = Castrol Super Clean - I believe it is called (Purple pump spray bottle or available in gallon sized jugs - rough on the skin) and BEST= for caked on grease/sawdust is just the cheapest spray brake cleaner from any auto parts outlet..
Soften gunk up with some of either sprayed on, let it sit some and use an assortment of small paint brushes in various sizes to help loosen up the crap before you wash it away with a blast of more of the cleaner..
Never found either type to bother the Stihl plastics or various rubber bits - depending possibly how much is used or for how long..  

RetCavSc

What are the plastic inserts; one under the oil fill cap and the other bottom left of the driveshaft?

RetCavSc

So I ventured further into this beast the other night. Well, the sparkplug wire is just wrapped and taped to the coil, so I guess I might be replacing that. Should I go ahead and replace the points with the electronic spark upgrade I have seen folks do on YouTube or just keep it OE?

RetCavSc

I ask due to not knowing, the difference is all. I guess the newer would be better, but then why would I be wanting to use a what almost 30 year old chainsaw in the fist place.

RetCavSc

Well some parts finally came in. The oil pump and gasket are good to go. However, the brake band is no longer available, go figure.

Does anybody know of an aftermarket chainbrake kit for the 028WB? That would be awesome.

motzingg

Cool project, should be a nice piece of equipment.  I was looking at grabbing a similar one a few months back but the seller wanted a crazy price and i ended up going with something newer. 

In my research, it looks like the electronic ignition coil is the way to go, you just unhook the points wire so its totally reverseable.  That said, due to how the points are protected, my two old homelite saws had very good points when i got them and continue to run well with original points.  

The best way to get a handbrake on it is to buy a used one off a later model.  I think you need to buy a whole housing but i'm not sure what all parts are different. 

My biggest annoyance with Stihl is how they protect that repair parts business.  You have to go through a dealer and they are very very good about not letting the parts lists get out.  You cant go do your own cross referencing or research, so its really hard to know if parts you are buying on Ebay will fit or not.   Drives me nuts! 

RetCavSc

Quote from: motzingg on May 02, 2019, 02:51:49 PM
Cool project, should be a nice piece of equipment.  I was looking at grabbing a similar one a few months back but the seller wanted a crazy price and i ended up going with something newer.

In my research, it looks like the electronic ignition coil is the way to go, you just unhook the points wire so its totally reverseable.  That said, due to how the points are protected, my two old homelite saws had very good points when i got them and continue to run well with original points. 

The best way to get a handbrake on it is to buy a used one off a later model.  I think you need to buy a whole housing but i'm not sure what all parts are different.

My biggest annoyance with Stihl is how they protect that repair parts business.  You have to go through a dealer and they are very very good about not letting the parts lists get out.  You cant go do your own cross referencing or research, so its really hard to know if parts you are buying on Ebay will fit or not.   Drives me nuts!

Oh I know, it took me almost walking out before the dealer would print me a part diagram page. All I wanted was something to show him what I needed , not what he thought what I needed.

RetCavSc

Here is the pump on the bench finally. About to go in. Operation time.

RetCavSc

So I installed the new oil pump last night. And gave the saw a worl. Well it cuts like a crazed ape EDITED BY ADMIN! I have used brand new saws and I can say they don't have the feel like they enjoy what they are doing. May be it's the weight but it's just feels good in the hands. Exactly like shooting a 1911 for the first time; gives you the feeling like you are shaking hands with The Duke himself.

ZeroJunk

Don't think the WB ever had a chain brake.

btulloh

When it feels good in the hand and gets the job done, it's a successful mission. Nice job.
HM126

RetCavSc

Quote from: btulloh on May 04, 2019, 03:27:41 PM
When it feels good in the hand and gets the job done, it's a successful mission. Nice job.
Thank you. Next on the list is a new coil and I am thinking, from what I have been reading a low kickback bar and chain. Since this does not have a chainbrake I want to minimize any danger that I can. 
Now I need to up my game and get proper safety equipment; chaps and a helmet with faceguard. 

stihlsolo

I answered a question about adding a chainbrake to a 028WB back in October 2018. 028 Wood Bosses did not come with a chain brake, and depending on its age there may be two different types that may fit. Here's the previous post:

"It takes a few hard to find parts. I added a chainbrake to my early 028, so been there done that. For this crankcase as photo'd, the chainbrake band is the older open loop type, not the current cross-over loop type. The later 028 brake levers and such won't fit.

Most of these parts interchange with later 028,  042 and some 038 parts. Main parts are:
brake band: 1117 160 5400 reshaped for the 028 drum
lever 1: 1119 160 5000 use with lever 2: 1117 162 5005 or 1118 162 5001,
or MAYBE try the later lever with its pivot: 1118 160 5002 (I did not use this one)
handle mount: 1118 162 5005
hand guard: 1118 790 9100
spring: 1118 162 7901
There's also a couple of e-clips and screws.

One end of the open loop band fits into that funny little recess above the back bar stud.

Good Luck, took me about half a year to round up all the parts and then to make these work."
Stihls 020avp, 024av, 028av, 030av, 031av, 032av, 036, 040, 041aveqs, 042av, 048av, 08, 08s early, 08seqs late, S10, S10 tophandle, TS350.
Solo 611va, 616va, 640, 651, 662

Al_Smith

Just for general info the 028,all three models of 038 ,042 and 048 are all the same design .Gear driven oil pump .As far as used parts there are many places on the internet .It helps to have the part numbers .Scot at Chainsawr who might still be a sponsor on this site or might not be usually has something .I heard however he has the business for sale so you'd about have to call to find out .There's always E-Bay and of course a dealer .
I have an 028 although it doesn't get much run time it's a good saw .
I would suggest anybody who does not have the knowledge of the parts involved to find an illustrated parts list .E-bay often is a good source .I have the dealers book plus CD's,micro fiche on Stihl,some Husqvarna,McCulloch and Homelite .Keep in mind I'm a collector though and have a fair amount of money involved in that library .

Al_Smith

Now then,parts .Often times parts from a dealer are as cheap as parts from the internet .You need to find a good dealer because they are not all the same .I have a dealer two miles from me but I drive 15 miles to a better one .Some dealers are very friendly and some are only interested  in selling a new saw .Just the way it is . 

RetCavSc

Quote from: stihlsolo on May 06, 2019, 11:49:11 PM
I answered a question about adding a chainbrake to a 028WB back in October 2018. 028 Wood Bosses did not come with a chain brake, and depending on its age there may be two different types that may fit. Here's the previous post:

"It takes a few hard to find parts. I added a chainbrake to my early 028, so been there done that. For this crankcase as photo'd, the chainbrake band is the older open loop type, not the current cross-over loop type. The later 028 brake levers and such won't fit.

Most of these parts interchange with later 028,  042 and some 038 parts. Main parts are:
brake band: 1117 160 5400 reshaped for the 028 drum
lever 1: 1119 160 5000 use with lever 2: 1117 162 5005 or 1118 162 5001,
or MAYBE try the later lever with its pivot: 1118 160 5002 (I did not use this one)
handle mount: 1118 162 5005
hand guard: 1118 790 9100
spring: 1118 162 7901
There's also a couple of e-clips and screws.

One end of the open loop band fits into that funny little recess above the back bar stud.

Good Luck, took me about half a year to round up all the parts and then to make these work."
Thank you so much. With what you are saying plus how much I have already invested in the saw, I might just finish up on the stuff I know I can do and then focus on the chainbrake if I can later. 
I want to use this saw, not just look at it. 

RetCavSc

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 08, 2019, 04:57:26 AM
Now then,parts .Often times parts from a dealer are as cheap as parts from the internet .You need to find a good dealer because they are not all the same .I have a dealer two miles from me but I drive 15 miles to a better one .Some dealers are very friendly and some are only interested  in selling a new saw .Just the way it is . 4
I do need to find a good dealer. I 

Al_Smith

I don't remember if mine has a brake or not .If it does and you get around to working on it I could take a picture and post it ,if mine does .They say a picture is worth a thousand words at times .I've reworked a few Stihl brake assemblies and they can get confusing ,actually frustrating .

ZeroJunk

Unless there is some sentimental attachment it would be simpler to buy an AV or a Super and sell the WB .
If you just like a project there are much better ones than this.

Al_Smith

Quote from: RetCavSc on April 22, 2019, 06:54:52 AM
What are the plastic inserts; one under the oil fill cap and the other bottom left of the driveshaft?

They just call them a plug .What they do is internally expand in the annular buffer (anti vibration mount ) to kind of hold things in place .

RetCavSc

I tried uploading a link of the 028 eating some wood. Nothing as impressive as a pro logger, as they would have made short work of it, but still I'm happy. I keep getting an error message when I tried posting; first it was to my Nikon image share cloud folder then when that didn't work to the YouTube link of the same vid. 

Anything special I need to do?

Al_Smith

The WB model evidently was late in the game and the largest displacement ,meaning it would have the most power.As a 3 cuber it's basically a firewood cutter and does good job at that .With a little TLC it might last decades .
Probably what replaced it in the line up  would be the 026 .Which can be made into a hot runner but I suppose so could the WB .If it were me I'd just leave it alone and cut wood with it .Hot rod saws are not for everyone you know .

ZeroJunk

You can put a Super top end on a WB and go from 44 to 46 mm bore. 

First rebuild I ever did.

RetCavSc

Hey everybody, so here is an update on the 028. I was able to procure a chainbrake kit, or so I was told by the seller. After receiving it, I think it might be missing some components.

Sadly another seller misled me in the description of the ad and I received the handguard, not the chainbrake lever. Boo

So, I wanted to go ahead and do a dry fit of what I had anyway. The new clutch drum, which I purchased from a Stihl dealer specific for a 028; the brake band does not fit around the drum. The band has a mark of the S in the square then 1118 aE.

Well that's where I am at.

RetCavSc

So after further research, and for anybody else's knowledge. There is another version of the brake band that was put out, before the one I purchased. It's even more rare I was told. So now I am on the hunt for that kit if it is possible.

gggGary

A bit blurry because it's a shot of a screen that I couldn't capture, but the early 028WB chain brake assembly. (I'm looking for one)

RetCavSc

Quote from: gggGary on December 30, 2019, 05:46:09 PM
A bit blurry because it's a shot of a screen that I couldn't capture, but the early 028WB chain brake assembly. (I'm looking for one)

That's it! I cannot figure out why hasn't some manufacturer overseas picked up making parts for these older models. There is some serious money just being left out on the table. 

Thank You Sponsors!