iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill

Started by tyb525, August 06, 2008, 05:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gizmo

Thanks for the comment on the saw. Tell my wife it's nice!! $$$    It looks shiny because of all the sweat that dripped on it as i was sawing.........Anyone used the Beam  Machine to lop off the edges??

tyb525

I've been thinking of getting that, or Granbergs Mini Mill. It would be nice to have edged boards, and trying to make a square cant with a regular mill is difficult i think.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwingOak

Quote from: tyb525 on August 17, 2008, 10:34:26 PM
I've been thinking of getting that, or Granbergs Mini Mill. It would be nice to have edged boards, and trying to make a square cant with a regular mill is difficult i think.

I bought the Granberg Mini-Mill but it's till in the box. I just haven't had time to mess with it yet.

gizmo

Another option For edged boars if you have electricity is to nail or clamp a straight 2x4 or whatever to the slab and use its edge to run your skillsaw down to give you a square cut...

tyb525

I've done that, too. But it would be nice to be able to make square beams.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwingOak

Quote from: gizmo on August 18, 2008, 06:33:02 PM

Another option For edged boars if you have electricity is to nail or clamp a straight 2x4 or whatever to the slab and use its edge to run your skillsaw down to give you a square cut...

Or you could spend a grand or so on a beam saw...

tripleH

It's a little fuzzy but large white tank is for fuel small white tank is gravity feed bar oil. In this piciture log is on mill but not set for first cut.  We have a hand crank to raise bar up to correct height. (not seen in picture).  Over lapping square tube in the center is clamped together so we could lengthen for longer bar.  We put shutoff valve on oil so we can control drip rate.

Boy I thought these pictures were more clear.  This is from the other end.  Saw carriage rolls on four metal wheels rolling down 5/8 rod welded to the top of the 12 inch I beam.  We put bicycle handle bars on it to pull or push through the cut.  It was very tiring.  We hooked 2 pullies and rope so we could pull it through.  Works pretty good.  No shortage of power form the 18 horse motor just us pulling.  I will try and get more clear pictures.

TripleH

JV

More pics please, especially of the track and the saw head mounting.  I've thought of a portable dedicated slabber and I'd like to see more of your design.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

tyb525

That looks like a really neat setup tripleH

JV

A couple of weeks ago I had to go to the hardware store in town.  I stopped in the parking lot and started to get out when another truck pulled in beside me and a young man jumped out, walked over to my truck, looked in the bed and asked if that was an Alaskan mill in the back.  Yep, have'nt taken it out from the last job.  Says he has some large logs he would like slabbed and asked if I would follow him just out of town to look at them.  Being somewhat curious and not one to turn down a job I said yes.  Could  be limbs or as Al Bundy used to say, "Good ol biguns."  Well, turns out to be a 36" x 13.5 foot Burr Oak and a couple of shorter 42" plus Burr Oaks.  He had tried to slab the 36" with a 20" chainsaw freehand and did'nt quite meet in the middle.   :-\

Freehand slab

1rst good cut

Ready for next

45"

Some of the slabs

Good exercise for those 85 degree days.  Lost 12 pounds and got my blood pressure down to 110 over 60 sawing this summer.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

tyb525

He must've been a brave one to try to slab it freehand  :o

Althought I have heard of guys in the tropical southern places that can freehand a slab and get it just about as good as with a mill. What size of saw is that?

JV

It's a Stihl 084 with a 60" bar on an Alaskan 56".  It's a handful to put up on the rails.
John

Thank You Sponsors!