iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circular mill foundations

Started by bandmiller2, August 10, 2008, 07:39:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

Seems the foundation is the final hurdle in restoring a mill.Today I'am going to start digging.What I'll do is stretch a long tape measure the legnth of the mill 42'that gives me two things ,straight and the distance between treated posts.Four feet apart is standard for post spacing,but you can cheat slightly at the ends,a little longer.Post holes will be dug to below frost line.concrete poured in the bottom and left to cure,sections of sound phone pole set on the cement some crushed stone and pour more concrete 6" or so then tamped earth.Poles will then be cut to the right hight using a laser level.Concrete piers are more perminant but done right takes alot of concrete and if you ever want to move the mill alot of problems,the posts can just be cut below ground level.I never had any problems setting the bottom of the poles in concrete, but I think this way gives better drainage and longer life.Many of you know much more than I ,feel free to give advice.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Don P

Woods gotta have oxygen to rot  ;)
That said I usually pour a footing first then set a post on that. This does 2 things. It lets me move around a little and a big footprint spreads the load out over more soil.

Sawyerfortyish

I have built two mill buildings the first was put up in 1981. We dug below frost and poured concrete to just above ground level. Wood doesn't rot below ground but it rots just at ground level so my posts were above the ground level. We used wornout plow shears stood up in the concrete to bolt the post bottoms to. the building is still standing and the posts are solid because we also made a 2' overhang on the roof so very little water gets to the post. The second mill building (we out grew the first)we started with footings layed concrete blocks one layer above the ground except in the doorways and then started with our wood pole building. This building is 54 by 100' and is 8 years old and we've out grown that too. I don't know how big your going to build your building but build it big double that size and add some. You just can't have enough room.
I was invited to tour a big mill about 2 years ago and we went they had 100 acres of mill and yard and 28 acres of it was under roof :o. Ya just can't build big enough.

Woodchuck53

Hey Frank don't forget the pictures. CV
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

bandmiller2

Good to hear from you Chuck,I really have no excuse on the pictures just got a new camera.Foundation is coming along well [good digging].A feller gave me a dandy little cement mixer with a broken large "V" pulley.I didn't have a pulley large enough and too cheap to buy one so I used a donut spare tire works like a champ.How are you coming on your mill??Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Woodchuck53

Slow, slow. The roof got me for 2 hitches then the new floor and cabinets in the wash room for the missus. Now we are in hurrican season here at work and trying to do a turn around on the facility. Been working 21's for so long not sure if I'll ever get another straight hitch home. I have a whole week starting the 27th and plan on finishing the husk and setting the drum for my carriage cable. Got all the bearings finally in last week while I was out here. Did manage to get in 8 hrs. of welding (shop not mill)  and split the carriage to accomadate the new width of the frame/rail assembly. Got it all trued and welded together. It's looking good. After I set it I'll build the pup assembly later to handle longer logs. All in all am pleased with the results so for despite the sidewalk supervisors that aren't around when I need a third hand. But it's been fun and can't wait to get back to it. I have a little to do on the wifes greenhouse before winter and the doors for the new cabinets then I'm home free for a couple weeks. Have a lot of pictures just haven't sorted them out for posting. Got to go for now good talking to you. Keep us informed on your progress. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Thank You Sponsors!