iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Which way to cut a burl?

Started by Dave Shepard, August 20, 2008, 07:26:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

I've got a 24" cherry burl to cut, which way should I orient it on the mill? I am going to have  to fixture it somehow, it only has a little bit of the trunk left on it. Should the centerline of the "log" be oriented the same way as an ordinary log, or should it be oriented vertically? Trying to make some 5/4 "cookies". Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

metalspinner

That's how I would orient it on the lathe - as if you are cutting normal boards.  If you are trying to get a consistant rim of edging around the perimeter, that is the only way.  One of the good things about a burl is that it has no grain direction to worry about...  well, most of the time that is. :-\
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Dodgy Loner

The figure will be completely different if you orient the burl vertically on the sawmill.  Personally, I prefer the figure that results from orienting it as you would a normal log - it will have the more classic "burl" appearance, with lots of little eyes.  Either way should work fine, though, as long as the burl figure goes nearly to the pith, otherwise you'll get more cracking and splitting with the vertical positioning.  Be sure to take some pics!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dave Shepard

I put it on the mill in the same direction you would a log, it was the only way it would fit between the guide rollers. The burl had been laying on a logging header for eight years, so the sapwood of the "log" portions is quite rotten, but anything burl is rock solid. Didn't remeber to take a before pic, but here is one of the first cookies:

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

SwampDonkey

When does the BMW arrive Dave, so you can apply your burl figure to the dash and doors? ;D

Is that burl from the cherry disease , black knot, or just a regular burl?
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

I don't know what caused it. A mile up the road from me is a patch of cherry trees, everyone of them has at least one burl.

Dave

SwampDonkey

Some day I'm going to open up one of those nasty black knots. The back yard is full of them. Just waiting for the trees to size up a bit.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

rfalk

get some anchorseal on it quick (I would coat whole piece). A cracked burl is worth little to a wood turner. bob
Wood engineer, woodworker, chainsaw miller, bandsaw miller, all around lover of wood.
Stihl 026, 361, 076 AV

Dave Shepard

These are not going to be turned, as far as I know. Last I heard, they were going to be cut into rectangular bits for some as yet unknown purpose. ::)

Dave

tyb525

Would make some nice veneer/inlays.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SwampDonkey

AH, he's going to do some marquetry. Maybe a coffee table?  ;D :D

Dodgy Loner

Wow, now that is an impressive cherry burl :o.  Looks like the result of black knot fungus to me.  Most of them end up with a few voids here and there, though.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Dave Shepard

That's the little one, most of the others just barely squeeked in between the guide rollers (28.5").

I think I know what I'm going to make out of one of those. :) Been putting it off for a while now, you know how that procrastination thing is. ::)

Dave

Norm

Dave if you're interested in selling some of the boards you cut off these burls let me know. I turn pens and really like the look of burl cherry.

Dave Shepard

Norm, I'll ask. This burl was just an experiment. I guess what I really need to know now is how to preserve the wood. I don't have any anchorseal, but we need to get some for storing our high grade cherry logs. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Dave

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Dave Shepard on August 20, 2008, 05:47:00 PM
I put it on the mill in the same direction you would a log, it was the only way it would fit between the guide rollers. The burl had been laying on a logging header for eight years, so the sapwood of the "log" portions is quite rotten, but anything burl is rock solid. Didn't remeber to take a before pic, but here is one of the first cookies:

Dave
What did you ever make out of it

Walnut Beast

How did it hold up drying out. You sliced them like cookies?

aigheadish

Yeah, I guess I'm real late to the game but that is beautiful!
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

Magicman

Burls will certainly change character when sawn from different angles;

Sorta depending upon what caused it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!