iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Emerald Ash Borer control

Started by Chuck White, June 04, 2009, 04:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

The  Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) has put up insecticide or bug traps locally, to catch and control the EAB's if there happen to be any in this area.

They look like a box (purple in color) and tied up about 8 to 12 feet above the ground over a tree limb, with a yellow nylon rope.

So, if any of you happen to be driving around (at least in this area) and see these things, you'll know what they are!

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Chuck White

Thanks for re-posting the big purple triangle!

All of the traps I've seen (probably 6-8) there aren't any hanging in Ash trees!

There are lots of people at work that have seen them!

I have just seen them from a distance (driving by) so now I know that they are traps and the bugs will be stuck there!

Thanks again Jeff

Chuck
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sjh

Chuck Check out this DEC map.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/42674.html
I live in orleans county. We are both in the 50 to 100 mile quarantine range. I new it was coming just not that fast. I thought I had 5 yrs to worry about it.  guess not.  good thing I started thinning my ash last year. The bug traps are used to catch other species as well. Have not seen any this year yet.

Dodgy Loner

I wonder if the sticky traps are hung in non-ash trees on purpose to keep from inadvertantly attracting the borers to the ashes.  I know that most research on the Japanese beetle traps has shown that they attract more beetles than they actually catch, so you're doing more harm than good by placing them around your garden.  That may not be a good analogy, though, since I'm assuming the EAB sticky traps are being used only for detection and not control.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Cedarman

I have one along the road across from the mill.  they girdled the ask tree to stress it to get the critters to come.  They are within 20 miles of me now.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Faron

Quite a few traps in my area.  Looks like it is time to turn our ash trees into flooring while we still can.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Chuck White

They've been moving the traps around here lately!
Most are now hanging in ash trees!

Chuck

estiers

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on June 05, 2009, 04:07:58 PM
I'm assuming the EAB sticky traps are being used only for detection and not control.

You are correct.

As for traps being placed in ash trees or not, ideally, according to survey protocol the trap will be placed in an ash tree.  However, some high risk locations (campgrounds, shipping points, etc.) need to be trapped, and there may not be a suitable ash tree for trap placement. 

Or, I admit, it could be misidentification...
Erin Stiers
State Plant Health Director - Minnesota
United States Department of Agriculture

Patty

They say the EAB is in Iowa now. What a shame. The thought seems to be that the EAB was carried into the state in firewood for camping. It will be sad to watch all the beautiful ash trees die.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Chuck White

We saw mobile, 100%.

The spread of insects and disease is the primary reason why we use a gas powered leaf blower to clean off our mill before leaving for another sawjob!  As a second benefit, it really gets the mill clean!

beenthere

Firewood for camping seems to get the blame for the movement of the EAB.
The reaction to finding EAB is to shut the firewood dealing down (quarantine) but not the logging or nursery industries.
Personally, I think it is just the easiest thing to blame, for lack of anything else to blame or fear of blaming something else.

Also, if big gov't were to blame the logging industry or the nursery industry, they would have bigger reactions than they get from the little firewood industry.

Evidence that EAB hasn't been contained in the state (s) it was originally found is enough to show that these "reactions" are not doing the job, and either take a different course of action or quit spending huge amounts of money and let it happen (as it seems to be doing well on its own).

Just my opinion. I'm sorry to see it keep moving, but more sorry for the "plans" to stop it.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Warren

We had the purple triangles last year.  They went up again a few weeks ago.  Just read in the newspaper that the little buggers (EAB) made it into Northern, KY.  One county north of me.  Will be interesting   >:(  to see what happens now....
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

twobears

i,ve seen the EAB traps all around me. more wasted tax money in my opinion.

delbert

Thank You Sponsors!