iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Draw Knife Find and Junkyard shave Horse

Started by Jason_AliceMae Farms, March 27, 2014, 07:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason_AliceMae Farms

So a few weeks ago I had a horse follow me home from work.........

Work was throwing out a small amount of 2x6, plywood scraps, and some metal and hardware.  I didn't want to see it just go into trash so I grabbed the small amount and threw it in the truck for later.  Everything had already been cut up and used at one time or another so I was limited in material since my goal was to not spend any money on the project.

While I am not completely happy with how it turned out and I will build another one down the road I figured I would share some pictures of what I am now calling my Junkyard Horse.  It is no where near the talent on this board but we all start somewhere and for free I am very happy with it  8)

I always keep an eye out for old draw knives but didn't find any in my travels until a couple weeks ago I found this little guy with a price tag of $5 so I grabbed it and it is now the first one in stable with the horse. 

I started to clean up a limb that was on the ground to make a cane out of and another small sapling that had bent over for a walking stick.  The cane is what is on the shave horse in the picture and I am sanding the walking stick now and plan to put a leather wrap grip on it, picture to come once I finish it.

I am in awe and humbled by much of the craftsmanship I see posted here so don't laugh too hard and my little junkyard horse  :D
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

Jim_Rogers

If it works, that's all that counts.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

justallan1

There's sure nothing wrong with using what you have and if you save a little, then all the better.

Allan

21incher

Looks good. As long as it works that is all that matters, and saying that you have ideas how to improve it means you have the right attitude to become a outstanding woodworker. Experience is the best teacher.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

m wood

Good find Jason.  All my old 2nd hand jobs are my favorites.  But beware...make sure those handles arent moving none at all.  The littlest wiggle in those darn things will "getchya" real good...right in the soft skin where the inside of the thumb turns up toward the index finger.  I've ruined my working mojo on more than 1 day of peeling.   ::) I guess I was lackin Texas Rangers cowboy common sense list, and kept using that darn blade till I finally fixed 'er. :D
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Thanks for the comments, I need to modify the seat on this one to round off the front so it does not jab into the back of the legs.

Thanks for the advice on the drawknife too Mark.  I definitely did check the handles before I started to use it but I will keep an eye on them and take care of them at the first sign of wiggle. 

How do you guys sharpen your drawknives?  I have a Lansky knife sharpener that I was going to use and run through the different grits.  Is that an acceptable way of sharpening a drawknife?
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

Lud

You can't beat a slow speed grinder (1600 rpms vs. 3200) with a coarse and a fine white stone on them.  I'll also use a diamond rod  to take off the final burr. 

Practice on your wife's girlfriends' kitchen knives  getting the way to slide an edge across the stone at the right angle and the right pace and you'll be able to shave the hair off your forearm as a test! 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

mad murdock

Nice first horse, and a great find on that drawknife!! Looking good. Now you need to build yourself a bungee powered pole lathe.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

muck

nice job!

I love to take almost anything going to the landfill and repurpose it.

keep going and remember anyone you see here that is doing any amazing project started with small simple stuff,
the skys the limit Jason_AliceMae Farms!

yukon cornelius

if your horse was a show piece you wouldn't want to use it or get it dirty. most all my stuff is junkyard find stuff. I made my own draw knife from a left over piece of metal off of my log arch. its working great for me.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

m wood

I sharpen mine with a 6" x 24" belt sander on stand.  using a 220 grit belt.  takes just a few seconds to get the edge back.

I never got into using my shavehorse.  I will take a 12' (or longer) pole, sometimes 6+ inches in diameter (think bed post) and peel the whole thing in a stand up method.  I also find it to be much quicker when I'm hand peeling 90 spindles for a log home porch or something.  your horse is sturdier than mine used to be.  I don't know what even happened to mine, probably left it behind in some past move :)
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

hackberry jake

I just want to see more of that cherry table...
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Thank You Sponsors!