iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lifting tongs or skidding tongs

Started by boboak, January 02, 2006, 10:55:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boboak

I'll be using my tractor front end loader to deck 24" oak rounds.  They vary in diameter from 6" to 36" and the bigger ones are just too heavy,green,to muscle around.  The deck height won't exceed six feet and nobody works under the lift.  So...lifting tongs or skidding tongs?   I need one set of tongs that will do both jobs but I"ve noticed that lifting tongs are quite a bit more expensive. ???
Sometimes you get things done faster if you do them slower

Tom

The difference is in the metal and component strength.   I have lifted with skidding tongs and have had no problems though a commercial outfit would be concerned about liabllity.

You can lift a big log with your Front end loader without putting much strain on the tongs.   Attach the tongs to the top-center of the loader.  Roll the loader all the way forward.  hook the tongs on the log.  Ease the bucket down as you roll it back and the log will be pulled up onto the loader bucket.  The tongs are just holding it there.  The width of the bucket keeps the log stable and you can drive anywhere that the log will fit.  Of course you should keep the bucket low to help keep the tractor stable.

Never let anyone get any part of their body under a log that is being moved regardless of what kind of tongs you buy.  Tongs don't have to break to lose the log.  The points can come out of he log and, if nothing is holding it, it will fall on whatever is under it.   They don't even bounce and people just think they are quick enough to jump out of the way.

DanG

Good safety point, Tom.  I use tongs to unload logs when people bring them on a trailer with side rails.  I find that the Logrite hookeroon is the perfect tool to unhook the tongs without having to climb on the pile or get under the bucket.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

KILROY

boboak.

This won't answer your tong question, but have you looked into a set of forks that slip on to the bucket? I made a set several years ago and they are very handy for moving logs around. They slip onto the front of the bucket and a chain holds them in place.  I made these forks to use on sawing jobs where they had a tractor with a front bucket and no forks. I do not have any pictures of them to post.

Thank You Sponsors!