iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mahogany. Where can I get it?

Started by robedwards58, June 04, 2014, 05:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robedwards58

Hey everyone. I live in Central Illinois and was looking to get ahold of some mahogany. Obviously these do not grow around Illinois but I was curious as to whether or not anyone knows where I could get at least one good sized log. I'm new to the whole milling aspect and so far have taken trees from my yard or anything someone nearby is willing to get rid of for free which is fine but I am pretty limited there. I checked with the local sawmills to see if they could order a log but they can't.
Any suggestions on how to get mahogany would be much appreciated.
Rob Edwards

Ocklawahaboy

Look into import regulations.  many exotic woods can only be imported as finished products.  ive never heard of these being available in log form.  maybe someone can help you but my guess is that you'd find out as quickly with Google. 

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Chinaberry is in the Mahogany family.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bigbo1234

Im gonna venture to say you probly wont be able to get one, but if you find a supplier, ask if they have teak also, then let me know!!!
Bowen

Nomad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swietenia_mahagoni
     Can still be found in south Florida.  The species is protected, but it might be possible to find a yard tree that needed to be cut down for whatever reason.  I'd bet if you contacted a few tree removal services in Monroe county Florida and offered a finder's fee, you might be able to buy a log.  Of course, then you'd have to pay to ship it. 

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

backwoods sawyer

I had a couple guys bring in two U-haul trucks and trailers loaded down with Mountain Mahogany. They are bowl turners and had made a trip to Utah where the hyway depart was clearing road side trees.
Only a couple of good saw logs in the mix.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

pyrocasto

It seems like one of those items that's just not worth milling, but better to buy the lumber instead. We buy Sapele, African Mahogany, and Honduran mahogany lumber all the time to build cabinetry with. Heck it's about the same price as cherry now, so pretty affordable.  ;)

qbilder

I second the Florida idea. I also agree it might be better to buy the lumber, unless you are looking for live edge slabs, flitches, which can be tough to find.
God bless our troops

Mooseherder

Swietenia Mahogany are all over South Florida as Ornamentals in Shopping Center Parking Lots.  I started a thread a few years ago about me growing them from seed.   Every one I planted grew.  Mine are getting big.  Time for me to update that thread.

Ianab

Problem with shipping logs any distance is that you are also shipping the slabs, sawdust, low grade boards and water. It might only be 30% good dry wood in the load. AND they are awkward things to transport, compared to a pallet of nice dry boards that just gets loaded as normal freight.

Do we know anyone in the Florida area that might be doing "urban salvage" logging and sawing? Getting them to send you a packet of sawn and dry boards would make more sense.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

fat olde elf

Check out old pianos. I bought an upright Gulbransen for $50.00  Actually I didn't tear it down for the wood. Got it tuned and it plays great.  Many old pianos available just for hauling and they have WIDE pieces of mahogany in them. Say your prayers.   
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

low_48

The Woodworker's Shop/Pekin Hardwood had some 12/4 mahogany in stock very recently. Probably still have some. Can't say exactly what species it is, but it was really reasonable. A friend bought some 8/4 and 12/4 and used the 8/4 for a chair and ottoman. It's not dark red, but sure is beautiful. Not a log, but maybe the 12/4 will help you out.

5quarter

You're probably wanting Honduras Mahogany,  Swietenia macrophylla. I don't think you can import logs, although it may be worth a few calls just to be sure. Besides lumber, It also comes in cant or bolt form and is then resawn for resale or further processing. A friend of mine makes monthly trips to the port of Miami where he selects and buys large cants right  off the container. Short of packing up the mill and heading off to Brazil, That's about your best option.
Years ago, my Wife and I went on a cruise to the Virgin Islands. While on St Thomas, A took my wife into the interior and found a lumberyard. They had tons of Honduras Mahogany, all rough sawn, 4, 8 and 12/4. I went though the stacks until I found some heavily quilted stock. Customs let me through with it but thought I was the oddest fellow they ever had come through, as most people were bringing back duty free booze and other luxury items. ;) :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

thecfarm

5quarter,I bet you got a lot more enjoyment out of that Honduras Mahogany than a bottle.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

woodman58

Try Hibdon Hardwoods In St' Louis. They buy mahogany logs and process them on site. It is true mahogany so, it is very expensive. Here is a link.

http://www.hibdonhardwood.com/
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

Bigbo1234

Here in northern michigan there is a place called rare earth hardwoods, phone number is 231-946-0043. They sell exotic slabs and so forth, they may have logs. Give them a call. Pretty sure they it everything on they sell.
Bowen

bandmiller2

Probibly with the current worries about invasive insects it would be difficult to import a log in the round. If you  ordered something large from the Phillipines it would come crated with and on a mahogany pallet. My old boss ordered a Jeep body and it came in a large mahogany crate he was more excited about the wood than the jeep. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Mooseherder

I guess not all Mahogany is not created equal.
Most be like comparing Douglas Fir to Balsam Fir.

Magicman

Quote from: Mooseherder on June 07, 2014, 08:45:12 AMI guess not all Mahogany is not created equal. 
Yup, according to Frank C above, some is "created" and some is "crated".   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 07, 2014, 08:06:56 AM
Probibly with the current worries about invasive insects it would be difficult to import a log in the round. If you  ordered something large from the Phillipines it would come crated with and on a mahogany pallet. My old boss ordered a Jeep body and it came in a large mahogany crate he was more excited about the wood than the jeep. Frank C.

If it's from the Philippines, it's not a true mahogany. It may also be known as maranti and if made into plywood is commonly known as luan. Not a bad wood in many cases but generally considered inferior to the true mahoganies from Central / South America.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 07, 2014, 03:18:11 PM
Quote from: Mooseherder on June 07, 2014, 08:45:12 AMI guess not all Mahogany is not created equal. 
Yup, according to Frank C above, some is "created" and some is "crated".   ;D

smiley_trap_drummer
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Thank You Sponsors!