iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut good news and bad news

Started by Brad_bb, April 17, 2016, 02:32:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Good news.  I bought a walnut log 22" on small end x 11'.  this morning. 

Bad news.... I have some work to do before I try to mill it.  That's fiberglass clothes line sticking out.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

But the other good news is that it is sticking out and you know to remove the fixtureshangers before sawing.  That is a beauty of a log.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ljohnsaw

Nice log!

If you don't mind me asking and you don't mind saying... What do you pay for a log like that?  And is there a discount because of the likelihood of some metal in there?

Can't wait to see what's inside.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Sixacresand

Quote from: ljohnsaw on April 17, 2016, 04:59:07 PM
Nice log!

If you don't mind me asking and you don't mind saying... What do you pay for a log like that?  And is there a discount because of the likelihood of some metal in there?

Can't wait to see what's inside.
According to my Norwood App for Smart phone it is about 200 BF and about 1650 Lbs.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

Quote from: Magicman on April 17, 2016, 03:52:22 PM
But the other good news is that it is sticking out and you know to remove the fixtureshangers before sawing.  That is a beauty of a log.   ;D

Also applies to POSTED signs!

I like when customers leave them in place, then I slab heavy on that side of the log, thinking there might be a second set of nails a little deeper.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dboyt

Fiberglass won't be much problem, but hope you don't hit the nail that was holding it in place.  Do you have or can you borrow a metal detector?  It can make for some interesting grain patterns.  Nice log!
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Brad_bb

I use the Lumber Wizard 4.  My 3rd one in 2 years just failed.  One failed in the actual metal detecting electronics.  Two failed by way of the piezoelectric speaker/tone maker.  I am going to take this 3rd one apart per Lumber wizard and see if dust is causing the issue.  It's basically an aluminum plate that is caused to vibrate by the circuit lumber Wizard told me.  I'll dig it out and pray there aren't a bunch of other nails in it.  Walnut is worth risking a couple bands.

I use the metal detector primarily for reclaimed wood.  Is there another metal detector that anyone prefers for logs?

AnthonyW

So knowing there is likely metal, how would you (the more experience sawyer) position the log? I think the only logical options would be either 12, 3, 6, or 9 o'clock.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Brad_bb

I've only been milling for 2 years.  I have removed a lot of metal from reclaimed timbers that I milled so I do have experience from that.  If there are any other nails, I would suspect the same face as the clothesline hanger.  So after I dig that metal out, I'd put it face down (6 o'clock) and mill the back face first.  Then the two sides.  Last the face where i dig the hardware out.  I figure that way I some cuts on the blade before I destroy it.   ;D  That orientation might change if there were branches/crotches in the log, but there are not.

Started peeling the log this evening.  Will finish in the morning and post a pic.

Ron Wenrich

I've always put my defect on a corner.  That would include metal, and tried to saw around it.  The reason is that you can get a wider board and put your waste in the edging strips.  The nail or eye hook holding that piece of wash line will likely stain the wood.  Putting it at 6:00 instead of 4:30 or 1:30 will put your defect right in the middle of the board.  That doesn't mean that you shouldn't scan your log with a metal detector. 

One thing I have often found with logs with trash metal, if someone has put metal at one place in a tree, they'll often put more somewhere else.   
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

scully

This is a perfect example of yard tree syndrome . As sawyers we know the chances we take with this stuff . I don't mind trying to get what I can out of it but last time it was 1/2" rebar  3X .
I bleed orange  .

Brad_bb

Yes there may be other stuff in it.  I guess the orientation will depend on how deep I have to go for the clothesline hardware.  My goal would be to get a 10x10 boxed heart timber out of the middle and 4x8 brace stock on the sides of that, and boards from whatever is left.  This list is in reverse order of course.  I'd lay out and start with the outside boards and work my way to the timber.  I'm thinking if it got too raunchy with metal and wasn't working out, I could split the log with wedges and get what I can get.  So you wouldn't even attempt it scully?  This will actually be my first "yard tree" and I wouldn't do it if it wasn't walnut....oh heck, sure I would.  You gotta learn your limitations somehow.  ;D

Brad_bb

Peeled it:

I was hoping to see some of the metal but looks like it's deeper than I hoped.

Not ready to cut it yet.  We'll keep it in the barn til I'm ready.

LAZERDAN

ozarkgem

wish my barn was big enough to store logs in.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

scully

Oh don't get me wrong I would saw that Dude into toothpicks ! I'll saw em all . I just don't freak out about it much ,Just because the big boys wont saw something like that ,don't mean it aint worth it !
I bleed orange  .

killamplanes

I'm jealous of your shed space I've got every inch of mine packed with priceless items I never use. My advise is tear into that log like it was any other it will tell u how u need to make ur cuts. and be flexible u might have to alter your deminsions. 
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Sixacresand

When you peeled it, was the bark already loose or did you have debarker?  BTW, nice shop/building.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Percy

Ive never cut walnut so my experience is questionable, but...Im gonna guess there is no metal in there and just the fiber/string/whatever. My reasoning is whenever I get a cedar or spruce with metal in it and a line/whatever leading to the surface of the log, its always bleeding or has a boil or a more serious defect than what Im seeing on your log.... Just my sunshiney opinion....dont send me a bill for your blade if it hits steel  ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Napowan

I have been in the exact situation. ...

There's never nothing to do.

Percy

Quote from: Napowan on April 22, 2016, 01:21:34 PM
I have been in the exact situation. ...

Nice!!! Awesome wood. Looks like walnut hides the tramp metal well....I may have to rethink my guess....
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Thank You Sponsors!