iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sticker jackpot

Started by brdmkr, April 05, 2006, 02:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdmkr

I know that there has been much recent discussion RE cutting your own stickers or buying them.  Well yesterday I found the perfect solution.  Have someone give you stickers 8) 8)

I noticed a local cabinet shop had a trailer full of trimmings and stopped by to inquire.  The guy told me to get all I want and to feel free to come by and get more as I needed them.  I now have kiln dried stickers just for the trouble of pulling them out of the trailer.  I figure I'll stop by periodically and pick up more until I have all I can handle.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Tom

You can't beat that deal.

I had a fellow at the big mill tell me that he had ordered something like $30,000 worth of stickers and they can't use them. They are non-returnable and cost them something like 70¢ each.  They can't be returned because they were imported, is my understanding.   

The reason that they can't use them is that they have an automatic sticking machine that uses 4/4 strickers.  The ones that they bought came as 7/8 and the machine drops them.

They still don't know what they are going to do with them.

brdmkr

30,000 bucks worth of stickers has to take up some room.  You ought to ask if you can have 'em.  They may be happy for you to take them off there hands.  I'll be happy to help you  dispose of them ;D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

getoverit

I could use a few of them too :)
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

They don't know what they are going to do with them and won't commit.  My guess is that some interprising young worker at the mill will figure out some way for the machine to handle them. :)

ohsoloco

I'm surprised at how many stickers I get now that I take a little more time when I'm edging.  I've been cutting a lot of 12' spruce and pine lately, and the flitches usually have quite a bit of taper in them.  Instead of edging where I would like to end up, I bump the blade up so I take a few 1-1/8" passes to get where I'm going.  There's a surprising amount of stickers to be had that way, and I'd rather get something useful than send it all to the burn pile  :)

solodan

I go by the local lumber yard and they give me the 3' banding sticks that come on the lumber packs. Then I rip them smaller  later. Some of them are so old and have been used so many times that they are real dry, oters are wet from the weather and need to be dried out well. But hey, there free. :)

Larry

A guy showed me some sticks last week.  Said they were KD Brazil ironwood and they were fluted.  So...I have plenty of low grade KD oak and a moulder.  I could kick out precision fluted sticks at a pretty high rate.  Think there would be any interest?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Larry

Thought bout the idea last night...seems good to me.  This morning poked round to find some tooling for either the shaper or moulder.

Found a cutter bout right for the shaper.  Set it up for max warp speed....couple hours later had 500 fluted sticks.

Got a date later this month with Maple.  Pearly white and she looks curly from the outside.  Hope she likes her new sticks. :)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

brdmkr

Larry

Those stickers look cool 8) 8).  I may have to set up the router to cut me a few of those when I get an evening when I am itching to do something.

TexasTimbers

brdmkr that's a good idea I'm gonna hit up my buddy who owns a cabinet shop. Never thought of that.

Larry those sticks look nice. I can replicate your idea if my cabinet shop bro can't help me out.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

iain

Theres a company either here or over with you lot

makes plastic sticks the same shape as Larrys

they work real good and help reduce sticker stain

iain

Larry

Must be Dura-Stick.  Good but quite expensive.  Think they copied my design back when I was making em with a dado blade on the table saw. ???

Another good design is the Breezewood? stick.  Haven't heard anything out of them for a while so they might be outa business.

twoodward15

4 feet wide 100 inches long and about 31.5feet high is 43,000 stickers (30,000 dollars worth).  That's a lot of stickers!!!!!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

tomboysawyer

Quote from: Tom on April 05, 2006, 03:46:33 PM
You can't beat that deal.

I had a fellow at the big mill tell me that he had ordered something like $30,000 worth of stickers and they can't use them. They are non-returnable and cost them something like 70¢ each.  They can't be returned because they were imported, is my understanding.   

The reason that they can't use them is that they have an automatic sticking machine that uses 4/4 strickers.  The ones that they bought came as 7/8 and the machine drops them.

They still don't know what they are going to do with them.

If your fellow at the big mill is in Florida like you, he should look into SWIX (Southern Waste Information Exchange - Google it, it will come up). Most states have one or more business materials exchanges where folks can list their commercial excess, waste, or scrap and even sell it for a buck or two. Wood products are highly prized commodities. I'm sure someone will snatch up his sticker and even pay for them.

Tom

Not in Florida, tomboysawyer, in Geogia.   The boy was making a big deal of it, but I'm sure that they will find a use or a market.  Your talking about a society down here that doesn't turn the pig squeal loose if we can keep it from running under the door.  :D

getoverit

I checked out the SWIX site.... interesting site, but from what I could see it is mostly chemicals and chemical wastes listed. I'll keep the link for future reference though,,, thansk!!

tomboysawyer

SWIX is for all the southeastern states. Georgia doesn't have a materials exchange yet (but I'm working with them on programming one once they have the funding).

The listings are basically whatever people put there. They have a category for wood. I manage the Exchange here in Vermont for the DEC and we never have enough wood products listings because people make exchanges really fast.

I know everyone on this forum reuses everything they've got until they cannot possibly get any more use out of it. But some times, cash is better than the stuff we're storing and the Materials Exchanges are one of our biggest secrets in this country. If the Chinese had anything to do with it, they'd buy up every waste material we have. It's a little tricky, but everyone in the U.S. and Canada has a materials exchange that will serve them. If you've got wood scrap, sawdust, equipment, or whatever you'd rather have cash for than store, it costs nothing to list it there and they have people waiting in the wings for those kinds of things.

I haven't used my exchange to move any wood stuff because I'm using it all right now. But I have used it to get lumber covers from a lumber yard in regular supply, 55 gallon barrels with lids for storing my blades, and windows for my new barn. I can tell you the composting coordinator in Vermont is rather upset because she can't get her hands on free sawdust anymore.

Tom

Tell the composting coordinator to quit looking for sawdust and start looking for a sawmill.  Get a sawmill and all the sawdust procurement problems go away.  :D

tomboysawyer

Quote from: Tom on April 24, 2006, 11:48:41 AM
Tell the composting coordinator to quit looking for sawdust and start looking for a sawmill.  Get a sawmill and all the sawdust procurement problems go away.  :D

I'll do that the next time I see her.  :)

getoverit

I emailed one of the companies from SWIX that are here in florida that says they want sawdust. I'll see how bad they want it soon I hope.

right now I have a little over 10 yards of it to get rid of. cost me about an hour's time and a gallon of gas to get it into the trailer.

wiam

tomboysawyer,  could you post a link to the VT site?

Will

tomboysawyer

Quote from: wiam on April 24, 2006, 08:55:58 PM
tomboysawyer,  could you post a link to the VT site?

Will

Sure, the Vermont Business Materials Exchange is http://vbmx.org
It is free! But we'd really appreciate getting the word out. The more people who use us the better.

We have links to other northeast regional exchanges on our site (New York, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island).

Amy

getoverit

I sent an e-mail to the guy here in florida that advertises on SWIX that he wants any quantity of sawdust... sent it about a week ago and still no response... guess he doesnt want it that bad.

DanG

GOI, I contacted an outfit in Bainbridge, Ga last week about taking my sawdust.  Found them on the SWIX site after Tomboysawyer posted it in another thread.  They weren't interested in my mere 40 yds unless I could transport it to the buyer myself.  ::)

Tom, tell your friend to contact Langdale's mill in Valdosta.  I have it on good authority that they're using 7/8 stickers.  They're buying them from somewhere in South America.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!