iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS461R

Started by AdkStihl, May 27, 2015, 08:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4x4American

Quote from: _RJ_ on June 20, 2015, 11:12:55 AM
I don't think the 461 is going to be M-Tronic anytime soon. Just for the simple fact we can't use M-Tronics in very smokey situations. Wildland fires and house fires are not M-Tronic friendly and that's just the honest truth. That's why the 461 is also Stihls designated rescue saw.

I hope youre right!
Boy, back in my day..

JohnG28

Are the 462s in NY or up in Canada? They seemed to have got some of the new saws earlier than we do. Any idea on pricing? Similar to the 461? I like my 460, but I do think it could use a little more...I gotta run a 461 before they get replaced!

To the below post, why would the cm be bad in smokey situations? As far as the rescue model, it just replaced the 460 rescue model so the logical saw was the 461, I can't see it having anything to do with the carb technology.  ???
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

_RJ_

I'm not an engineer or scientist. I can only tell you what I know. The M-Tronic/Autotune saws struggle to compensate in smokey environments. When I'm cutting a tree that's on fire I don't need the saw sputtering or bogging.

joe_indi

If I heard it right 462 are for launch end 2016 or early 2017. They are still under field trials.
IMHO, stock up on 460s and 461s.

marine5068

Quote from: JohnG28 on June 20, 2015, 03:24:11 PM
Are the 462s in NY or up in Canada? They seemed to have got some of the new saws earlier than we do. Any idea on pricing? Similar to the 461? I like my 460, but I do think it could use a little more...I gotta run a 461 before they get replaced!

To the below post, why would the cm be bad in smokey situations? As far as the rescue model, it just replaced the 460 rescue model so the logical saw was the 461, I can't see it having anything to do with the carb technology.  ???
Hey there all....brand new to the site. Been cuttiing for most of my life though.
  I was just shopping for a new 461 the last couple of days and looks to me like the m-tronic models are here now. Like what was mentioned earlier in this post, if you want a straight 461 with no new m-tronics, they can still be found on shelves, but are being replaced with new m-tronic models.
To me as a small time cutter and feller, makes no difference as my saw won't see a lot of use comparative to someone using it daily. I just needed a saw that can pull a 28"-36" chain for large Maples and Red Oaks I get once or twice a year.
Envirofire Evolution pellet stove
Century 2000 wood stove
Stihl MS291 18"
Stihl 044 28"
Forest King 30 ton logsplitter
Yardworks 4 ton electric wood-splitter
Echo SRM-3500
Kobalt 40v pole saw
Stihl FS 56
Black Knight splitting axe
Stanley vintage maul
Estwing hatchet w/sheath

_RJ_

Quote from: marine5068 on June 21, 2015, 07:13:52 AM
Quote from: JohnG28 on June 20, 2015, 03:24:11 PM

Hey there all....brand new to the site. Been cuttiing for most of my life though.
  I was just shopping for a new 461 the last couple of days and looks to me like the m-tronic models are here now. Like what was mentioned earlier in this post, if you want a straight 461 with no new m-tronics, they can still be found on shelves, but are being replaced with new m-tronic models.
To me as a small time cutter and feller, makes no difference as my saw won't see a lot of use comparative to someone using it daily. I just needed a saw that can pull a 28"-36" chain for large Maples and Red Oaks I get once or twice a year.

Nothing wrong with M-Tronic/Autotune. I have a couple and they're wonderful. They just don't run well in very smokey conditions. I'd love to see a pic of a 462.

dirtmover1250

would the R model fit in a woods carrying case?
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

JohnG28

Quote from: dirtmover1250 on June 21, 2015, 05:16:44 PM
would the R model fit in a woods carrying case?

The wrap handle won't fit in a case.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

dirtmover1250

ok, i plan to get one anyway. since first starting out with a saw, ive discovered i'd really like to have a full wrap handle in my next saw. ive already ran into a few salutations where i wish i had one.
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

4x4American

I like the wrap handles too.  They allow for less limitations most times.
Boy, back in my day..

HolmenTree

How about I tease you all a little bit about the new MS462 ?
What do you think of this?
Looks like Stihl is sharing a little bit of the new generation Husqvarna  562XP lines with its laid back cylinder design :)

Making a living with a saw since age 16.

HolmenTree

Nice air filter setup

_RJ_

Screwdriver holes thumbs up

JohnG28

Yeah I wondered why it had those holes also? It appears to have the electronics on the carb so I don't know why the screws would be there?

HolmenTree

Its got H L screws alright . No M-Tronic.

dirtmover1250

Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

JohnG28

So they redesigned the whole saw again but didn't add cm? Those limit caps look different too.

4x4American

Hopefully these limiter caps are easier to take off!  That's one ugly son of a buck!
Boy, back in my day..

HolmenTree

Quote from: HolmenTree on June 24, 2015, 11:30:35 PM
How about I tease you all a little bit about the new MS462 ?
What do you think of this?
Looks like Stihl is sharing a little bit of the new generation Husqvarna  562XP lines with its laid back cylinder design :)

Sorry fellas teasing is over,  photos have to go. :-X

4x4American

Good lord love a duck...
Boy, back in my day..

dirtmover1250

i wondered why it didnt say the model on the fan cover. that explains it.
Stihl MS180C, 16" bar
Stihl MS362CM, 20" bar

so il logger

Hopefully prototype is as far as that thing makes it, looked like a little saw, and no AF cover? Have to use a scrench and remove the whole top cover? I'm not a buyer by no means

Thank You Sponsors!