iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What happened to the SAP!

Started by Kevin, April 18, 2005, 09:17:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

I removed a basswood on Sunday from a back yard and I was surprised to find the sap wasn't running.
The tree was healthy but was leaning heavy over a house.
Any idea why there wasn't any sap present?
I thought it should be running pretty well for this time of year.

populus

Sap flow that bleeds when the stem or branches are cut  only happens in a few species, like sugar maple. Basswood does not normally have stem sap flow, but a basswood cut in the spring may have sap flow from the cut stump.  In other words, a basswood branch cut in spring won't bleed sap, but a stump might.

Sap flow in maple, birch and other trees requires warm days and freezing nights. In recent years, the period of spring that has this weather has been getting shorter. In most of New England this year, the sap flow season was only a few days.

SwampDonkey

I agree with populus there,

I have 3 basswood trees that I have trimed and no sap weeping. I have several young (10-15 yrs old) sugar maple that the sap flows from minor injuries.

No sap flow in basswood injury, the stem is dry.

Sap flow on sugar maple from injury. Notice the long stream of sap down the stem.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!