iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Solar kiln with separate chamber?

Started by 69bronco, September 27, 2015, 01:51:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

69bronco

I've been considering the layout for a new shop. My thoughts are using a solar collector on the south wall that I could duct into a well insulated (kiln) box. Nothing to big, say 1000 to 1500 feet capacity. Sized accordingly  or perhaps making the collector a little oversized. The optimum set up would be able to redirect the collectors intake and exhaust into the shop in cool weather, when not drying lumber. The collector could even pivot a little for maximum exposure all year. I may be all wet on this one, but it's been rolling around for awhile. Let me know your thoughts.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Good idea.  It is certainly good from a technology standpoint.  Appreciate that the energy needed for drying is much greater than the energy needed for heating without drying.  So, even with low winter solar input, you should get some useful heat for heating, but not for drying.  But, with the kiln being isolated from the collector, if you need some drying in the wintertime, you can use external heaters.  Make sure the kiln box is well insulated.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!