iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Name this sawmill

Started by Dieseltim, May 06, 2017, 10:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dieseltim

Can anyone tell me what kind of mill this is. I found it while looking for a bigger blade for my m-14 rebuild. I was offered a deal that is almost too good to pass up. But, I really have no room to put it. Just hate to see another mill go to scrap. Anyone else know who might have made it?

It is a 50" blade, and the frame is 40 feet long.

Dieseltim

Another picture from the left end.

bandmiller2

Don't fight it Tim your going to end up with two or three mills kicking around your diggings. That's a heavy duty mill and would be much better if you run into large logs. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

sealark37

I would consider sliding the Belsaw to the woods and installing this mill.  Much more capable mill, with more durable parts.   Regards, Clark

woodworker9

Quote from: sealark37 on May 07, 2017, 09:42:58 AM
I would consider sliding the Belsaw to the woods and installing this mill.  Much more capable mill, with more durable parts.   Regards, Clark

+ 1 ;D
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Dieseltim

Well......., it seems pretty worn to me. I realize it is bigger and heavier, but it would need several years of rebuilding to repair all of the worn parts. I think the husk is probably not too bad off but the carriage is pretty rough. The frame is very worn.

I was kind of thinking it might be good for parts for someone else that is trying to restore one of the same sawmills.

Or just use the husk with the frame I have, and maybe make this carriage work on my frame.

Darrel

Can't help you with ID'ing this mill, but I've seen the like and as far as the steel parts are concerned, I'd think that a little bluecreeper and grease would work wonders and it wouldn't take too much to get it back up,and running.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

TKehl

A few states closer and I'd be interested.  The receder is interesting. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Dieseltim

Another picture from the right end.

Ron Wenrich

I've never seen track like that.  I don't know how well it track without some side movement in the carriage.  That could be a problem.  What happens when they fill up with sawdust?  I see the track cleaners, but I still think it would be a bit of a problem.  All mills I've seen has a guide rail.  The more modern ones have it to the outside of the mill. 

The center headblock is a sleeper and has no dog or taper.  The headblocks also have extensions.  That tells me this thing has been patched together, and when they put on a trough track system, it was too far away from the husk.  Might have been to remedy the dust in the trough.

The husk looks OK, but I'd pass on the carriage and track.   
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Dieseltim

And another picture from the off loading area.

Dieseltim

Ron,
  I have to agree, and you can not even see where the right head block was repaired and not very straight.

paul case

I am not sure I have seen ANY sawmill with ''PLASTIC'' Pallets stacked up around it?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

moodnacreek

If you find another one in better shape, discard the bellsaw.

Dieseltim

WOW,  I didn't know that many people hated the little Belsaw. Seems everyone thinks it should be scrapped. :'(

whitepine2

Nobody hates the little mill it's just small,fine for a farmer or someone playing around. It is not made for heavy logs and use
ask my how I know I have both,started with the bell mounted it on steel much like you are doing yes it was better and worked O.K.
however you will find that you wished you went with a real mill.
Not trying to tell you what to do just what I went through and
wasted time and money do it one time and do it as right as you can
like one said push it in the woods and put a better mill on what you have got your 1/2 way there. Plenty of mills around much bigger
and better than the little Bell Saw,anyway have fun.

paul case

I have enjoyed your post of the progression of your mill build. Not only that you are documenting it here for the world to see and that makes it better 'cause it will help someone else later.

I had a belsaw too. M-14 model ran on a tractor pto. If I had the help of the forum back then I would probably still have it and be using it from time to time. BTW Dont slow the blade in the cut as it will heat the blade and it will cup and then need hammered. 

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

moodnacreek

The setworks on a bellsaw  is  the worst. I had a bellsaw  years ago and I still maintain it for a friend. I extended the carriage, added 2 headblocks and dogs, cut out sections of the front rail where the knots get caught. moved the feed outboard, added a cable drum, 2 speed feed, toggled the pawl to the reach rod and so on. But I never figured out the set works.  After seeing that nice steel work you did, I could see a frick sitting on it.  Anyhow keep up the good work.   Doug

Thank You Sponsors!