iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deer Stand my Norwood Built

Started by Planman1954, September 30, 2010, 06:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

Hi all:
Just thought I'd post a few pictures (everybody likes pictures, ya know) of a deer stand I built near my house, all with SYP cut on my Lumbermate. It took about 4 half days to saw out the boards and put it together.

This is a close up photo of the whole stand.

This is a view of the stand as you approach it from my house.

This is a view from inside the stand looking down the pipeline to where Bambi will be.

This is a view from inside looking up at the wood shingles (What else did you think I would use?)

This is a close up with the door open.

I hinged the openings on the 4 sides so that I can lock it up to keep out varmints. I can't wait to break it in next month! God bless.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

fishpharmer

Looks good.  Did you dry the lumber, or is it "green?"

Also, what are the dimensions?

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

jdtuttle

Deer Stand? Looks to nice ;D I'd probably get to comfortable & fall asleep while the deer are grazing next to it ;)
Nice job
jim
Have a great day

Bibbyman

Looks great but how are the deer going to climb up in it?   :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

pasbuild

I'd show ya pic of my camp/blind that I sawed on my Norwood but its still just a couple of stacks of boards  :D they should be good and dry when I get the time to build
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Planman1954

Some of the lumber is green...I think the siding had dried for a few weeks stacked. The thing is 6'x6' square. I made enough head clearance to stand up inside because I ALWAYS hit my head on low joists! I wanted enough elbow room for 2 to be comfortable. My wife said she would go with me some. Oh yeah, and I'm not going to paint it until the end of the season so the deer won't be put off by the smell. By that time, it'll have all its creaks and cracks exposed, and then I'll caulk it and paint it camo or somethin'.

Bibbyman

The guy that wired our mill was paid off in lumber.  He used it to build a deer stand for his dad.  His dad is not in good physical condition so he built stair steps up into it.  I think it was something like 10x12 with insulation, drywall, heat and all.  They put in an old recliner for him to set in.  I never got to see it but heard a lot about it.

I got to tour another deer stand made from a small grain bin.  It was built on a platform about 12' off the ground.

My deer stand is the sawmill.  I just lean the old 45/70 against a post out of the way and keep watching around as I saw.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

pineywoods

Nice, almost too nice. You guys should see the house planman built, and the furniture he has built. Makes my stuff look downright crude. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

WDH

I could live in that.  Single, I might add  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gary

If you could live in that. I can see why your single.

pigman

Planman1954, pineywoods gave you a hint to post some pictures of your house and furniture. I am not going to hint. Please post a few pictures of your house and furniture. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

paul case

he must be afraid to since you guys already want to ''live'' in his wifes dear stand! :D pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

StephenRice

Looks really nice.  I KNOW I would fall asleep in it.  I am sure that you have a little heater to put in there as well, don't you?  I really like the recliner idea (especially with a little gas burner or stove to make coffee, tea, or hot chocolate), but am sure I would be sawing more logs than your Norwood!
"Pure gold fears no fire!" - (Ancient Chinese proverb)  What do you fear?

Planman1954

Ya'll are a hoot! I love reading the comments as they ramble and build on one another. I'll try to post some photos later...probably in the general woodworking section. My degree is in industrial arts from CSULB. I majored in drafting and furniture making. When i graduated, I started drawing houses (been doing it for 32 years now) and building furniture for the family. I've got over 100 books on measured drawings of furniture. I've built a lot of pieces, but they are scattered around the country now with family. I'll try to dig up some old pics and post next week. The front of the house I'm still building (been on it 5 years now) is at the  beginning of "Making and Installing wood shingles" thread, or in my photos.

pineywoods

Planman did it all backwards. He built a house and a bunch of nice furniture, and THEN bought a sawmill. Oh well, he's using the norwood to build a barn and a deer stand. I keep waiting for him to move the mill into the barn and kick the goats out in the cold. If all this isn't enough, he is one heck of a musician.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

pigman

I did think that was a funny looking sawmill in front of him in his avatar picture. ;)

johncinquo

Looks great.  From my experience I would say to move the hinges from the bottom of the windows to the top, swing them up to stay open and hold them up with a wire or latch or nail.   They stay out of the way of guns, knees, foot rests on the barca lounger.   :D    Add a couple small shelves for calls, shells, gloves, binoculars, coffee cups, cookies, scents. 

I usually live in my blind for several weeks out of the year.  Comfort and ease of use is key.  I also line the whole thing with old carpeting.  Keeps it real quiet and no banging around on the walls or floors.   
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Planman1954

OK...here's a picture of a walnut colonial bed I built about 1980. In the background is a Queen Anne highboy from one of Franklin Gottshall's books that I built a little before the bed.

Here's a photo of the cabinet I made to store house plan original flat files.

That's all for now. Take care.

pigman

Thanks for the pictures, it was worth the wait.

Warbird

isawlogs

Aint too hard to look at those pics , ya can strain my eyes some more ifin ya want to  ;D :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Very impressive and beautiful work!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

Planman1954

Thanks all. I might find some more old pics and post them in the future. God bless.

Planman1954

OK...the deer stand was officially broken in today with my first deer (in my whole life...no kidding). I've never been much on hunting. My family has always been heavily involved in it, but I never was very interested until I built up here in north Louisiana in the middle of our home place...which is in the middle of a hunting camp. Guess I didn't have a choice. Anyway, we've always eaten deer meat that my brothers would give me, so my wife and I decided to do it on our own. That's the reason for the deer stand. So far I've seen 6 total, and this is the first I've shot with our new 7mm we just bought last week.

This was taken soon after...it was shot near dusk.

The obligatory blood on the face after the first kill.

That's all for now. We're excited.

Thank You Sponsors!