Started by woodmills1, March 14, 2013, 07:40:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

started early today, at 4:15 filled stove then no flush for pee
said maybe l get luckey and thermal overider kicks in so back to bed
6:20 no better, so at 8:30 I round up a strong youngster and borrow a pit tool
Get the lovely wife warm dressed and gloved and the three of us
lift up and out 345 foot of pipe, water and pump from the well

we get that done and drive to supply house to get pump and hav the one and only catastrophick tire failure I have ever had.  Tire goes flat in like 100 feet

nevermind the saga
get the pump wire and plumb it in
do a test before dropping it back down the hole....no good
then dummy me realizes never reconncted the upper wires that we took off
only the lower    oooooo works much better witha full circuit

pump in an back to flow
moral, would have been a 4 grand charge from a well company. Pump $648
many side stories but I already bored you enough
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ArborJake

I had to do the same thing about a month and a half ago. 7 below zero that day. My well is only 50ft though. No flat tire either. Took about two weeks till the water completely cleared up.
thick and thin lumber company. qaulity manufacturer of saw dust and slab wood.

woodmills1

Yes my water is quite cloudy, I figure from the handling of the pipe
I will also dump a gallon of bleach just to do no bacteria
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

r.man

Wow, that must be some youngster if you pulled a 300+ well by hand. What is the static level of your water?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Chuck White

Stories like this one remind me of just how lucky we are.

We have a dug spring about 3 feet diameter and about 8 feet of water in it, and there is a 24/7-365, 1½ inch overflow running out of it.

The overflow feeds a watertank for watering cattle through the summer on my brothers farm.

The main line from the spring runs 1½ inches, "gravity flow" to the pump in our cellar.

The pump required only for added pressure.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

petefrom bearswamp

The pipe I think would be full and if my arithmetic is OK (I'm sure that somebody out there can check my math) and the pipe is 1-1/2" the water alone would weigh about 240 pounds plus the added weight of the pump and wire.
Must have taken a lot of grunting.
Of course the static level of the water in the casing would help somewhat.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Chuck White

I know they can be heavy.

Last year I helped one of my brothers pull his well pump and his well is drilled 315 feet!

Eat your Wheaties!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Den Socling

I used to live with the threat of a dry well or a bad pump. Especially bad in the winter because my old well did not have a pitless adapter. Dig frozen topsoil and then pull a slimy, freezing pipe. One year I bit the bullet and had a second well dug. I have two pressure controls with low pressure cut outs. If one well fails, I just switch to the backup pressure control and I'm running again. There's nothing worse than "waste full" toilets and no water to flush.  >:( Best money I ever spent.

uplander

It is against the law here in Indiana to pull and install your own well pump. Supposed to have a water well drillers license or something such. I do my own anyway ;)

Uplander
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

woodmills1

I do have a pitless adaptor and man isint that a name for a thing, thought I quite admire what it does.  I have nearly 270 feet of water in my well, not very much pipe was dry coming out.  Jason and I lifted the pump, pipe and water with maybe 4 rest stops, most because it was cold and the pipe was slippery

Had to lowere my old time skinny drop light into the casing to see the pitless as it was a cludy day

water looks much better today

Holmes

Pete I checked your math and it looks good... ;D ;D  Around here most pumps are dropped on  1" coiled plastic pipe. No way near a heavy as 11/2" pipe.
Woodmills1 what was worse the pump failure or the flat tire?  Good for you getting both problems resolved. 8)
Think like a farmer.

r.man

In Ontario you can still do anything you want on your own stuff. I have pulled lots of them, technically I shouldn't but my clients are looking for electrical expertise and the physical ability to pull the pump to the surface. A few years ago I was going to pull an unknown length pump to retrieve a string and weight dropped and stuck in the well and decided to build a reel to take the strain off me since I have trouble finding fit help at the drop of a hat. I built a very simple hand rolled reel out of an old 200 gal round oil tank that I shortened and mounted on a frame and it really helps. I would recommend building one to any group that has a few drilled wells between them.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Slab Slicer

Replaced my well pump a few years ago. We have a second well on the property that was drilled prior to us buying the place. It never cleared up, so it was abandoned, and the original was put back into use. They were kind enough to leave all the pipe, wire, and even the pump, in the second well. I pulled it, and just dropped it into the original where the pump had gone bad. The abandoned well was about 150 feet, and the original well was only about 60 feet, so a little trimming was in order, and we were back in business.

It was the first, and only well pump I've replaced. Both a learning experience, and a good workout. Now I'm ready for the next one.  :) :)
2016 LT35HDG25, Kubota L2501 w/ FEL, Kubota BX1500 w/FEL and custom skidding rig, Stihl MS 500i, Stihl MS362-25", Stihl MS250-20", Stihl MS192-18",  2001 F250 SD 7.3, GMC Sierra Dually 6.0 gasser, Peaqua 16" 10K trailer, Sur-Trac 12' Dump Trailer 10K
Chuck

petefrom bearswamp

Right Holmes, 1" pipe would only contain about 13 gallons at approx 8# or only 106 pounds.
Not nearly as heavy.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Paul_H

Quote from: Den Socling on March 15, 2013, 03:12:44 PM
There's nothing worse than "waste full" toilets and no water to flush. 

Pull the tank lid and pee in there a few times till it's full enough to flush when you really need it.Two birds with one stone.  :P
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Den Socling

Thank You Sponsors!