iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber Harvest Methods & Equipment

Started by Ron Scott, March 24, 2002, 02:14:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Nice beech. All the beech I have that size I can run my arm up into.
I was cutting some about that size and I was cutting my notch. Went to the backside and started cutting.All at once something started to come of of the tree as a liquid.  :o  I shut the saw off,thinking my saw has sprung a leak. ::) I never had that happen. There was a limb that had broke off and that was water in the hollow part of the tree.
All the beech I have have bumps all over it,caused by cankers, beech bark disease.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Resonator

Beech makes excellent firewood.  
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

thecfarm

Yes it does. That's what I was doing with it. I was on my Father's land,and we hauled it out on a trailer. Had to load it 4 foot. No way some of that beech was going to be loaded on a trailer. I went into the woods with 3-4 iron wedges and a sledge hammer. Sometimes I would have all 3 wedges buried into that wood. I finally did convince him to haul it out in longer lengths.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Big beech down here tends to be hollow.  The hardwood cruisers beat it with a cruising stick to listen and hear if it is hollow.  At least the old hardwood cruisers did.  

Not sure if the Millennials beat on beech :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

olcowhand

I'm sure not a "Millennial", but I beat on the beeches (all second growth) that are in my wood. Most all of them are hollow, and those Beeches are dangerous to fell......
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Ron Scott

They are also good to leave some as den, snag, cavity, and mast trees for wildlife. 
~Ron

mike_belben

Theres a 400 acre lease a short hike behind me that the neighbors and i all hunt.  Just one hollar past my buddies ridgetop stands is a steep creek cut bank about 30feet tall with bedding above it and a MONSTER beach tree in the bottom that theyve not noticed.  The wall funnels deer into a narrow tract to get down to the tree and i cant wait to set up over there to drag out the bucks my pals drool over. Just to be a turd.   ;D
Praise The Lord

Ron Scott

A Timber Harvester is recommended for safety and efficiency to produce a good product mix in the salvage of wind blown timber. A Timberjack harvester is being used in this January 2019 cleanup after an August 2018 wind storm.

~Ron

coxy

doesn't look like you got much snow 

Ron Scott

No, not much snow at all yet this winter. Had about 6 inches at the most, but rains in between has decreased that. Cold weather now. Was below zero all day today and 8 below now. Snowmobilers and cross country skiers are hurting.
~Ron

coxy

we got about 10in out of the storm last night thats the most we have had got some back in November but that got rained away to late in the year for this crap im ready for spring 

mike_belben

Weve had like 1/4" of snow and thats plenty for me.  Other than tracking deer it serves me no purpose.
Praise The Lord

Ron Scott

Picture taken just last Friday when we had our 6 inches of snow so far. More unsightly blow down of plantation red pine on National Forest land along the heavily traveled road to the Caberfae Ski Area. There is still a lot of patch work timber salvage work to be done on private and public lands in the area.

~Ron

Firewoodjoe

Ron isn't that a sighn the row pine is being thinned to much to early. I see a lot of thin pin that takes it hard in bad weather in our area. Mid/northern mi like u. It's to bad a lot of dollars lost due to shake.

barbender

Some storms, it doesn't matter. We had a big storm in 2012, it didn't matter how well stocked a site was- it all got flattened.
Too many irons in the fire

nativewolf

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on January 21, 2019, 07:41:18 AM
Ron isn't that a sighn the row pine is being thinned to much to early. I see a lot of thin pin that takes it hard in bad weather in our area. Mid/northern mi like u. It's to bad a lot of dollars lost due to shake.
I believe it is now known that shake is really bacterial in nature.  I am curious about the pine thinning strategy, in the south they would have been thinned a long time ago.  Was it just planted too densely to begin with?
Liking Walnut

Clark

On Forest Service land, at least up here, it's almost a given that pine plantations are not thinned early enough. The result is tall, spindly trees that don't hold up well to storms when they are thinned. Thinning early (25-30 years old for red pine) and then consistently will yield larger pine that are more wind firm. 

As bartender points out, it doesn't matter how wind firm the trees are in some storms. It's all coming down.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

barbender

One sign of an over thinned stand is when they are all bent over instead of broken.

Firewoodjoe

I understand there is some storms and it doesn't matter.  And I agree they're not thinned soon enough resulting in over thinning latter because they're not wind strong causing them to blow over in a slightly above average storm. Just my observation these days it seems I see a lot of bent up or broken red pine.

Ron Scott

These red pine stands had been recently marked for their second commercial thinning, but they were blown down by the heavy August 2018 storm before they could be harvested. Now they are a patch work of salvage operations with a years work or more of clean up ahead.
~Ron

Gearbox

Around us there is almost 0 market for pine pulp therefor no one will invest money to thin with no payback for years .
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

Skeans1

barbender

There's markets, Gearbox- they just don't pay anything😊

nativewolf

@Skeans1 it sure is impressive.  How the heck do they manage to get that cable anchored over there?  Fly it in a helicopter or use a skidder or excavator?
Liking Walnut

thecfarm

@Skeans1 ,don't see much of that type of logging around here. Grapple on that "thing" that rides on that cable?  How can operator see what it's doing,camera??

Thank You Sponsors!