iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Long longs into a Lucas

Started by sigidi, July 17, 2012, 03:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigidi

After a fella down here was asking about how to do it, I figured I'd post it here for you guys and there for the Aussies. I hope to have a little series of pics loaded tonight on how easy it is to chuck a long log into my Lucas - just a bit behind at the moment, should get it done tonight  ;)
Always willing to help - Allan

sigidi

So I've got a few minutes to scratch myself - here goes.

You've got some long logs and also need some long boards, but the mill isn't setup to fit the logs and you don't want to break it down and build it over each log. In particular for this job I had the endframes for the mill about 4.8m apart and was using the 6m Lucas rails with the standard extensions.

Here is the log coming into the mill...

loaded with the forkilft so the first end slides in and 'around' the endframe.

Once the log is sitting on the log support on the first end...

You can see it is still way too long to fit in the mill

With the power head at the other end of the rails, unclamp the close side of the endframe on the rail and slide the rail out of the saddle

so the endframe slips past the end of the log and the log can then be brought into the mill and placed on the other log support

Now you can see the log in the mill is much larger than the space between the endframes, but the whole process took less than 4 mins including stopping to take the pictures and putting the mill back to position.

Oh and for the record, just want to put it out there again (been awhile) I'm so DanG pleased a pair of Aussie lads decided to get together and nut out a Lucas mill - slicing  recently has been just magical (pity my mug is too ugly for ya all to see how big my smile is from milling)

logboy

Looks good!  How long is that log exactly?  I pretty much do the same thing with my Bobcat, and I can slip one end in a lot easier than I can with my forklift (it pivots real easy so no need to set it down and move again). 
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

WildDog

Thanks for that Allan, the couple of times i've milled long logs and not set up around them I took the mill and rail off then angled the end frames out.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

customsawyer

Great pics. It is interesting the things we can do with enough determination.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

sigidi

Logboy, the log in the pic was about an inch over 6m (20') but for that job I did 3 x 6m, 1 x 6.1 and 1 x 6.3m along with a bunch of unremarkable  ones 3m - 4.5m hahahah seems funny calling a 4.5m log unremarkable, but I mean unremarkable in that it went in between the endframes straight. I'm a lot happier using my bobcat than a forklift now too - funny thing the young guy who helped me the second day (who was a bit hesitant on the forklift) got the 6.3m log in without setting it down  :o ;D

Thanks guys, hope it gives others another way of doing things, doesn't mean its better or anything, just good to know different ways to do things  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!