iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mill Housekeeping

Started by Sixacresand, July 24, 2012, 11:27:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sixacresand

I finally had to stop sawing boards last week and clean up.  I was wading through sawdust, the slab trailer was spilling over, I had a trailer load of boards that needed stacking/sticking and that trailer had a flat tire.  So after two days of working in this heat it now clean enough for company.     ;)
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Ga Mtn Man

Nice job sixacresand.  But if there are no before and after pics, how do we know you really did it?  ;)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

tyb525

Yes that is an aspect of milling I discovered after I got my mill. I had dreamed of making beautiful lumber, but failed to think about all the slabs and sawdust and scraps it would make ;)

After letting my slab pile get huge, it took a couple days to cut it all into firewood.

It's so much fun cutting lumber (usually ;)) but then you have to move the lumber, stack and sticker it, and make sure it is covered well from the weather. Those things are a little less fun in my mind, but you gotta do it :)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

It is much easier to handle the slabs each day.  If you wait longer, you had better have a FEL or dozer.  Clearing the debris from beneath the sawmill is also important.

If the customer does not have a FEL, I lay a chain on the ground and stack the slabs on top.  The chain has a cable hook on one end so it will tighten and squeeze the slabs together.  It is common for us to drag the slabs away twice a day.  It is just easier to work with smaller bundles.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

And besides.....

A large slab pile is likely to have "critters" in it.

Like snakes, skunks, etc.

My sawing is all done mobile, however sometimes we will do 10-15mbf in one location and that will guarantee a large slab pile.

We just make sure the area immediately around the mill is clean of debris.  This especially goes for the area under the log turner, the clamp and the loading arm velocity fuses.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

lyle niemi

As much as I would hate to, Im gonna have to find an employee, there is just to much to do for one guy

Chuck White

That's probably a good idea Lyle.

Safety is a big consideration around any sawmill.

An extra set of hands and eyes is a good idea!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Sixacresand

Quote from: Ga_Mtn_Man on July 24, 2012, 11:57:38 PM
Nice job sixacresand.  But if there are no before and after pics, how do we know you really did it?  ;)
Good point, GA Mtn Man,  That's the reason some of us have to take pictures of the fish we brag about.   I'm sure I would not believe me. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

WDH

I made the mistake early on of building a huge slab pile.  It became unmanageable.  Now, when I get a trailer load or several pick-up loads, I sell them on criagslist.  $10 for all you can load on a pick-up truck.  Or, I estimate the amount that a trailer will hold and price that at $15 or $20.  They usually get gone within a week.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Hummmm.....I might try that instead of burning them.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

When I am sawing my own logs, I just put my sign out.  The slabs do not last very long.   ;D

Free Wood

Going

Gone
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!