iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

central boiler 6048 anti freeze question

Started by adamant, September 19, 2013, 05:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamant

came across a tote of anti freeze from a water boiler company on the job. should I show interest in it or let it go? I would like the flexibility of letting the boiler go out in the winter here so I could go away w/o having to worry freezing.

what are some of the things to look for when dealing with used antifreeze?
central boiler 6048
son's off to collage and he was replaced with a timber wolf tw 5

doctorb

How long are you planning to be away?  Antifreeze, especially in high concentrations can inhibit heat transfer and it's usually not recommended or used.  If you leave the pumps running, and the water cools (takes a number of days), heat will get transferred from your backup heat in your house (oil burner for me) and warm the water in the OWB.  I don't use antifreeze.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

adamant

central boiler 6048
son's off to collage and he was replaced with a timber wolf tw 5

gspren

Just to muddy the water I use boiler anti-freeze and haven't noticed any change in performance, and I ran it the first year without. If your boiler is marginal in size maybe a problem but otherwise if there is any slight difference in heat exchange it just smoothes out the cycles, shouldn't cause any heat loss.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

DR_Buck

I don't mess with anti freeze either.   I added propane backup so we can leave town for extended times in the winter if necessary.  My 6048 will usually burn for 2 to 3 days as long as the outside temp is above 40°.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

go green

Yes there can be problems if incorrect anitfreeze is used.  Only propylene glycole boiler antifreeze should be used.  There have been problems with automotive and RV antifreeze coagulating and plugging pumps and system parts.  Do not use antifreeze manufactured with inhibitors.  Straight propylene glycole boiler antifreeze at 25% or more water to antifreeze mix.  Anitfreeze at lesser concentrations can cause biological contamination of the system that can lead to corrosion failures.  Be sure to add the proper amount of CB corriosion inhibitor and get the correct test kit to test the inhibitor level.

Thank You Sponsors!