iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What zit gonna be?

Started by Jeff, October 21, 2016, 02:55:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

When the wire no longer feeds through it and it is burnt.
Coating the tip with petroleum jelly prior to each use will protect it somewhat.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Gary_C

There are anti-splatter sprays and gels available to help prevent sticking to the nozzle and tip. Sometimes the hole in the tip becomes elongated and sometimes it just gets bent and doesn't feed well. Sometimes a glob will stick to it and then you grind or break it off. The tip will usually tell you when it needs replacing.

You can avoid the rusty wire problem by taking the wire spool in the house when you are not using the welder but I always forget. It's also waay cheaper to buy larger spools of wire but you lose on that advantage if the wire gets rusty.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

thecfarm

I run 30th wire,but run 35th inch tip. Had some guy suggest that. I did have some problems and Lincoln had a more aggresive roller,with teeth on it,that I put on. That made it feed better. This was in the first month that I had it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ox

For me, my tip is bad when I get sporadic no-feed conditions.  I'll take the tip off and chase the center hole with torch tip cleaning wires.  A very small drill bit would work, too.   I'll reuse it a second time after this.  Then a new one.  They're so cheap through Amazon that I don't mess around much anymore.  All my consumables are bought online, the prices locally are outrageous.  I love to help local business but when the prices are more than 4 times the amount, I draw the line.  I have a bottom line to watch out for, too.  It's called my family and taking care of them.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Magicman

I spray my hood/tip with non-stick cooking/kitchen spray.  MIG pliers are good for removing spatter, etc. from the hood/tip.  I would not want to do without those pliers.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

I also use the anti spatter spray on my tip, nozzle, & parts I am welding. I use gas and usually run between 30 & 40 pounds of wire before the tip is worn. One thing that helps when learning to weld is a nice flat non flamable table at a comfortable height to clamp parts to.  Can't wait to see your next creation. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Al_Smith

Right after I graduated from HS in 1966 I worked at Baldwin -Lima -Hamilton as a welder .BLH at that time made large cranes,etc .At one time it was the home of the famous Shay locomotive from a bygone era later large steam locomotives .

We had some wire feed machines,argon gas not flux core. They were fine for some things not so good for others .They were versatile though .

However things like crane frames and booms which were xray quality welds were always done with stick,generally 7018 rod .

Kbeitz

I still like my old welder...

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

Thyratron rectifier by the looks of things ,interesting

Ox

No, YOU'RE a thyratron!!!  Please don't swear at us, Al.  ;D
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Thank You Sponsors!