iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need creative ideas for milled port orford cedar

Started by schnur7, May 03, 2016, 12:35:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schnur7

I have a bunch of port orford cedar from when my neighbor cut his tree down about 7 or 8 years ago.  It's been stacked in my unheated this entire time.  I've got some 8/4, 6/4 and 4/4 ranging from 6" to 15" wide and 10' to 14' in length.  My wife found a cedar planter she'd like so I started digging through my inventory tonight trying to find some 4/4.  Of course it was at the bottom in the back row of the wood. 

So as I was going through it all, I figured I could use some help trying to figure out what to make out of it.  I'm sure there's lots of creative folks in this forum.  Unfortunately, I have more of an engineering mind and struggle with creativity.  For the 8/4 stuff, I'm sure I could find someone that could resaw it if needed. 

thanks for any ideas.

Left Coast Chris

I have Western Red Cedar and have used it for a number of applications:

Raised bed garden sides
Benches
Trim for sheds
Table
Tree stakes
Garden shed siding
Signs
Crafts: clock, bowl, bird house

Suggest checking grain and figure with some thinner and decide what pieces you want for display or aesthetics type work then use the rest for outdoor projects.   It will likely have a bit of natural oil so you will want to wipe with thinner, seal with shellac, or sealer prior to using the harder finishes like poly.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Brad_bb

Turn a board on edge and make some long thin planer shavings with a hand plane.  Cut the shavings in your hands and smell......So after you do that.... I only like make things to use, or that have a practical purpose.  You have to see what you need or what someone you are close to would like.  I've only experienced port Orford cedar once-it was someone else's.  Smells clean!
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!