iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thinking out loud again??

Started by Gundog, January 08, 2017, 12:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gundog

There is a CL add a guy has a Norwood Lumber Mate 2000 for sale with a Clark Forklift 3700# and a tandem axle trailer steel deck 8000# all for $12,500. I have a forklift already a 2005 Cat #5000 plus I have a 16' car trailer #7000. His trailer is nicer than mine I figure from the pictures used his trailer is worth $2000 mine is worth probably $1500. The forklift is worth $4500-$5000 my forklift is worth about $12,000- $14,000.

When I bought my forklift I got one of those once in a lifetime deals and paid $6000 for it the guy did not know what it was worth when I bought it the dealership said it was worth $15,000-$16,000 a few years ago. The reality is when I bought the forklift I was looking for a cheaper one I don't use it that much. I am thinking of buying this package deal from this guy he won't split it up. I would then sell my newer forklift and my trailer. I would actually probably make some money on the deal but would end up with a lesser forklift but gain a better trailer and a new to me sawmill. I have the money to buy this outright then sell my stuff. What do you think? Is the mill a good one it has the Honda 13 HP engine and says it will mill a  24" x 17' log. I was hoping for a larger width but maybe I don't need a wider width.

Mike

4x4American

Hurry up and go buy it what are you waiting for!  If you can make money on it, to me that's a no brainer!
Boy, back in my day..

Ljohnsaw

DUDE!  You didn't mention it also has a Oregon chain and band sharpener and tooth setter!  If I didn't have my home-built saw, I would seriously think about making the 700 mile drive.  Buy it!  If the Honda turns out to be a little under powered (probably would work fine if you are not into high production), you could always do a swap.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

TKehl

Going to be slightly contrary, here are my thoughts.

1.    It depends on the extras.  A new base model Norwood LM29 lists for around $5k.  Trailer package $2k (don't know if you want this or not).  If I started hearing about a band sharpener, setter, lots of extra bands, etc. then yes jump on it.  Otherwise, I'd ask him to come down some.  The LM 2000 is discontinued, but that is only a very minor note.
2.   If he really won't split it up, you have a distinct advantage.  Not many people would be interested in the combo package.  If it were trailer and mill, not very limiting.  Throwing the forklift into the mix really cuts the potential market.  Slightly less limiting if it is a rough terrain lift.
3.   Is your lift still worth that.  Is that what the dealer would pay to buy it from you or what they would sell it for.  I know nothing about forklift prices.
4.   This could be your lowest cost option to get into a good mill in a unique set of circumstances.  If you were already in your truck 10 seconds after the first post, I'd say kudos and congratulations!  I see this being a decent deal even in worst case scenario.  (Some may call me a pessimist, though I like to think I'm pragmatic.)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Gundog

I just talked to the guy he is 73 and dead set on selling it as a package he has had a lot of calls to split it up. This has been on CL for at least a couple weeks so it is not a new add. He is a nice guy I enjoyed chatting with him he is going to check a few things about his lift and get back to me. I am considering doing this from what I read the mill is a decent home owner model he is the 3rd owner but has all the manuals and a video which is good because I am a newbie to milling lumber. I used to be a Clark Forklift mechanic in my younger days and this era forklift 1974 is what I worked on so I am very familiar with them. I just have to convince my wife this is a good deal since I have to fund it first then sell the forklift and trailer to pay it back.

Mike

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Gundog on January 08, 2017, 01:00:44 PM
I just have to convince my wife this is a good deal since I have to fund it first then sell the forklift and trailer to pay it back.

Mike

Just tell her it followed you home :D
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

paul case

Mike,

Get her on board and then pull the trigger. Sounds good to me.

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Gundog

Well I probably sold it for him by making this thread the guy says he hasn't had a phone call on it for a couple months but he has 2 today so I am not sure I will be able to get it now someone is on the way to look. :-\ :-\ I can't go until tomorrow we are having an ice storm here today and it is a 2 hour drive.

Mike

Gundog

It sold today oh well back to the search or build question again. Funny the guy said he had it on CL for 2 months or more with no calls until I showed interest in it. It must not have been right for me I will keep looking.

ozarkgem

I have acquired most of my tools and equipment in that way. Buy a lot or a business that is quitting and sell off what I don't want and have mine for free. It works. You just have to have some capital and nerve to pull the trigger fast. Good deals don't last.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

TKehl

Dude.  That sucks.

I sell a bit on craigslist and it amazes me how often there can be no contact for months then all of a sudden 2-3 people in a week.  Craziest one was a running "pasture" somewhat drivable Jeep I had listed for $500.  5 months and nothing but scrap price offers.  Then on a Friday night I agree to take $450 and have 4-5 calls Saturday with one very insistent that I take his $750.  Unfortunately, I already had a deal agreed to and he drove it on his trailer Sunday afternoon for $450.  He drove 6 hours...one way.

I guess the keywords weren't right for what people were searching.  Other guy could have been on the fence already and your post pushed him over.  ???  Who knows.  Still sucks.

On the flip side, there is still equity in your forklift.  Would you still be willing to trade down to free up funds to get a sawmill? 

Maybe a kiln makes more sense to start with?  Barter drying service for mill service and lumber?  With 5 mills inside an hour, it could be a good proposition.
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

ozarkgem

I had a surface grinder I tried to sell forever for 500 bucks. Raised the price to 900 and sold it in a week.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

bkaimwood

IMO, someone did you a favor...the mill new was @ 7 grand...used, 4-5k? Trailer, 2k per your estimate. A 40 year old forklift with a capacity of less than 4K will struggle to sell here for 2500... more like 2k...so as I saw it, it was an overpriced deal by at least 25 percent..or 3-4 grand. Move on and find what will work best for you. Chasing deals usually gets me in trouble. Best of luck. I'm sure it will all work out. What is meant to be will be.
Cheers!
bk

Gundog

The guy called me back his buyer never showed. The more I think about this I decided to pass I don't really want to down grade my forklift to pay for this. The trailer turns out to be the same capacity of the one I have so no real gain there just a little nicer looking my trailer is no beauty queen but it works really good. I will either build a mill or buy a new one unless something else comes along. I am thinking either a new Woodland HM 130 or  WM LT-15. I will keep my eye on CL I can't use it for about 3 more months anyway.

My neighbor lost 2 nice Maple trees in this last storm they gave me the last ones and I cut them for firewood these are bigger and nice and straight for the first 20' or so I would say they are 24" - 30" at the trunk. If I get them I will cut them in saw logs and save them for when I get a mill. I cut the rest for firewood.

Mike

Thank You Sponsors!