iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gloves for angle grinding, like chaps only not...

Started by asy, December 26, 2005, 04:32:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

Ok, that's probably a really convoluted title, but please let me explain...

Does anyone know of gloves that are made from the same sort of material as chainsaw chaps?

I do a little tiling in the houses we renovate, and when I cut tiles I use an angle grinder with a diamond set masonry disk in it. It's good fun :D

I have been wondering lately, if it slipped and got me, my piano playing days would be numbered...

Can you buy gloves made from the same sort of fabric as chainsaw chaps so that they'd not cut through, or such?

I know the chainsaw chaps rely on the fabric coming apart and jamming the chains, which would be difficult in an angle grinder, simply due to the way they work, but I guess I'll wonder less if I ask...

ta

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

GareyD

Asy...below are some links to different kinds of cut/puncture resistant gloves that I have worn over the years in different jobs and circumstances...I wear the CDKEVLARGLOVES in the first link around the place most of the time that I stand a chance of puncture, cuts, and slivers....YMMV ;D

http://www.chefdepot.net/bonesaw.htm

http://www.lakeland.com/gcrocskin.html

https://www.turtleskin.com/store/category.aspx?categoryID=4
The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best friends, if they're okay, then it's you.

Furby

Why are you not just using the right tool for the job ???
Tile cutters are cheap and nippers can be used for taking off corners and stuff.

Don P

That's a legitimate use for the tool  ;).
As I saw this thread it also brought up another safety concern that we learned about the scary way, it applies to this use of the tool as well. An angle grinder with a deadman switch is much safer than one with a simple on/off switch. We use one with the chainsaw head pretty often for shaping wood. I was using a zoom boom to manuever Michelle around in a work basket on the gable end of a log house several years ago. She was working on a saddle notch with an on/off grinder and dropped it into the basket with her. I had not known until that moment just how good a gymnast she could be. We were later talking to another crew about it and they had a bad injury from dropped tool. We put the switched grinder down in the welder tool box and went out and got the Dewalt with a deadman that night.

asy

Quote from: Furby on December 26, 2005, 12:17:17 PM
Why are you not just using the right tool for the job ???
Tile cutters are cheap and nippers can be used for taking off corners and stuff.

GOod idea Furby, but neither of them make nice round holes in the middle of tiles for the plumbing to come through, nor do they nicely shave off the back half of a tile to seat it nicely around a bathtub...  ;)

I guess I learned to cut tiles with an angle grinder, and it's how I"m most comfortable.

Don, thanks heaps for the comments re: the deadman switch, I have been looking at buying a grinder, and will keep that in mind when I do!

Garey, thanks for the sites, I am still reading them. The Butchers gloves you mentioned look far too bulky for me, as I hate bulky gloves (that's why I really like my iron clad ones!) but I am still reading through the crocskin and turtle skin sites!   :) :) :)

asy :D

pigman

I don't need the gloves for my angle grinder, I need the chaps. :-[ This fall I was sharpening the blades on my batwing mower with my 9in angle grinder and tried to grind off my knee.  I was holding the blade with my leg to keep it from swinging while sharpening it when the grinder got me in the knee. I am glad it was only an abrasive wheel and not a carving blade. The skin grew back, but had to buy more pants.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

asy

Thank You Sponsors!